PDA

View Full Version : New Drug Craze (Wheelie Bin Sniffing)

y2krog2000
12-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I read about this yesterday in the paper and couldnt believe it.

Toxic bin fumes 'drug of choice'

Setting wheelie bins on fire and sniffing the fumes is the new "drug of choice" for youths, police in South Yorkshire have said.
Teenagers are thought to set the bins alight and then inhale the toxic plastic fumes to get a "high".

Police believe the craze could be behind bin fires in the Athersley and New Lodge areas of Barnsley.

Anti-solvent abuse charities said inhaling the bin fumes could be more dangerous than sniffing glue or petrol.

Pc Jonathan Reed of South Yorkshire Police told BBC Radio Sheffield they were now looking at ways to lock up the bins to prevent the practice.

He said: "It is the drug of choice, setting fire to the bins and inhaling the fumes.

"The health and safety implications are terrible. It's only a matter of time before someone really harms themselves."

They can be breathing in a whole compound of different chemicals in the plastic and not have a clue about what they actually are, or what they're doing to them.

Warren Hawksley, director of anti-solvent abuse charity Re-Solv, said he had heard of the problem in Scotland before, but this was the first time he had come across it in England.

He said that in Scotland it was also known for people to burn bus shelters to get the same effect.

Mr Hawksley said: "It's a deadly combination. They can be breathing in a whole compound of different chemicals in the plastic and not have a clue about what they actually are, or what they're doing to them.

"At least with things like petrol the lead's been taken out of most of it, and there are controls in place to stop abuse of other substances.

"It's worrying that these incidents seem to be spreading too."

BBC NEWS | England | South Yorkshire | Toxic bin fumes 'drug of choice' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6523197.stm)

stickywicket
12-09-2007, 02:59 PM
WTF!!! im stunned m8, i did some pretty weird stuff when i was a kid but thats mental lol. im thinkin of a new craze, it involves loony teens, a wheelie bin and setting it on fire. ;)

nj2006
12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
how they gonna smuggle wheelie bins into the clubs and pubs.

this has stunned me 2 cant belive it ....

what is the world coming to

nss1888
12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I thought it was no smoking in pubs and clubs now....

mibbie they get in the wheelie bin and get some one else, dressed in a donkey jacket, to wheel them inside... <ponderingsmiely>

notanotherone
12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
wtf are these wee numties all about??? a bit a national service wouldnt go amiss here ,mind you a good hard kick up the ar** wouldnt either

nicK_112
14-09-2007, 04:22 PM
ok.. completely shocked.
i mean not just by the fact that its completely insane but the woman had already heard about it and was shocked it was spreading
teens are getting more and more out of control

Kirsty
14-09-2007, 04:25 PM
When i was younger i always seen bins set on fire.. Now i know why. :fireeng:

What will they think of next? :thinking:

Diablo13
15-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Just when you think you have heard everything some mad b'stard comes up with something else. I would love to be able to sell rotting eggs, compost or even "Bottled Fart After Pub Crawl", or maybe "Vindaloo Turd" to these morons. I am sure there must be a market for them?
Maybe we would all be better off if they stood in the bins while they were burnt?

y2krog2000
21-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Well it seems the craze has hit Northern Ireland to

'Bin this madness immediately'

Sunday, October 21, 2007

COPS have branded as "madness" a new solvent craze sweeping the province.

Tearaway teens are stealing wheelie bins and setting them on fire before sniffing the fumes to get a CHEMICAL high!

The situation is particularly bad in parts of Belfast, Ballymena and Newtownards.

One top PSNI officer said: "This is just sheer bloody madness. Inhaling toxic plastic fumes is far more dangerous than sniffing glue or household aerosols."

Belfast Lord Mayor Jim Rodgers said he would be asking council wardens to keep an eye out for signs of solvent abuse.

'Bin this madness immediately' - News - Sunday Life (http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/news/article3082157.ece)