PDA

View Full Version : vista is slow

pokerplaya
02-09-2007, 04:03 PM
hi everyone.... i just bought a laptop with vista home basic installed...
what a slug.... laptop is dual core blah blah 1 gig ram etc etc...
i dumped vista for xp and the laptop runs fast as hell.
this is my first try with vista as it was preinstalled on the laptop but to be honest i wont be going back to vista... xp runs a treat on everything i install it on.
just thought id share that with anyone that gets a vista laptop and finds it is a bit of a slug.
xp everytime....
regards dave

Shipoftheline
02-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Vista is another Windows Me

vik
02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
does anybody like vista

pokerplaya
02-09-2007, 05:31 PM
well its not that i didnt like it... it was more of the speed issue.. ive been an xp person for so long i know how it works and what speeds can be acheived byt vista was slow form the start and once i got the usual stuff installed it was like crawling thru toffee...
whether that was the laptopitself i dont know but im running xp/sp2 on it now and its like every other pc i have.. fast as lightning.
im glad i had the option of changing the os to xp as i wouldnt have enjoyed being stuck with vista.
have a good day by the way!

vik
02-09-2007, 05:40 PM
well its not that i didnt like it... it was more of the speed issue.. ive been an xp person for so long i know how it works and what speeds can be acheived byt vista was slow form the start and once i got the usual stuff installed it was like crawling thru toffee...
whether that was the laptopitself i dont know but im running xp/sp2 on it now and its like every other pc i have.. fast as lightning.
im glad i had the option of changing the os to xp as i wouldnt have enjoyed being stuck with vista.
have a good day by the way!
crawling thru toffee...pmsl

y2krog2000
02-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Vista is another Windows Me
Have you tried vista yet Ship? What makes you think its another windows me?

I have Vista and it is a bit slow to start up and uses to much memory for my liking but it looks good and has some nice features. I remember when xp 1st came out with no service packs and it was very slow on a brand spanking new quite high spec computer at the time but when I downloaded the xp service pack 2 cd and installed it on the same computer it wasnt slow any more for some reason and I would say the same thing will happen with vista. The only thing I dont like about vista at the minute is that the curveball game thats in the arcade on this site pauses all the time other than that im happy :jig:.

hm2075
02-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Best not to install vista until some service packs are out,

like the post starter I too had a vista installed laptop, I quite liked the graphics but apart from that it was too slow,

google " vista long goodbye" for an interesting article.

Dumped vista within two weeks, got xp skinned to look like vista and works a treat.

y2krog2000
02-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Best not to install vista until some service packs are out.
Thats what I was planning to do as well but have read that you will not be able to use your vista key with another vista cd, I have Vista home premium and installed vista home premium from a different cd and everything worked properly but I couldnt register it mine like you can do with xp so I might have to download the service packs from microsoft update.

leeuk
08-09-2007, 11:36 PM
xp vs vista been tested here anyone thinking to downgrading to vist a have a read first

Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown | Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/)

reuben
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I purchased a new pc from del with vista for playing around with my video footage from my new camera. That was 4 months ago and I find myself using my del dimension 8400 with xp for the job and my vista machine is gathering dust.

Its as bad as everyone says, I have been told it needs 4gb of ram to run anywhere near as fast as XP and some of the dell machines with vista can't even take 4gb of ram.

PS del dimension e520 for sale - slow as sh**e.

y2krog2000
05-10-2007, 10:30 PM
I have been told it needs 4gb of ram to run anywhere near as fast as XP and some of the dell machines with vista can't even take 4gb of ram.
PS del dimension e520 for sale - slow as sh**e.
Im using a vista computer with 2gb of ram and its running quicker than my old xp machine that had 3gb of ram, stick it in sell it or trade it bit on this site with a price and someone might buy it of you. And only vista 64bit will allow you to use 4gb of ram the 32 bit will only let you use around 2 and thats all you would need.

cozmo
08-10-2007, 06:41 PM
as long as u have a high spec p.c like quad or core duo and at lest 2gb ram and turn all the security crap off then it runs nice and fast i own vista ultimate x64 and its running on core quad q6600 and 4gb ram and it runs like a bullet but on my laptop witch only have a celeron m and 1gb ram its very sluggish the problem is that they try and push vista on everything these day and unless u have the power to push it then its a waste of time

cozmo

cyclone2
09-10-2007, 11:52 PM
no m8 it painfully slow and difficult to navigate,iam going back to windows xp pro
regards cyclone

y2krog2000
10-10-2007, 07:09 AM
no m8 it painfully slow and difficult to navigate
It all depends on the spec of your computer, I woldnt recomend anyone buying vista for a single core computer, as for difficult to navigate its almost the same as xp.

Ve33iE
10-10-2007, 09:21 PM
i have tryed vista on both laptop n pc and i have found that it aint all that for the stuff i use it for so i went bk to xp as it run so much faster than vista, ill wait till SP1 comes out and hoping that will make it bit better for gaming ect ;)