PDA

View Full Version : gas fire wont turn on

jiro
27-07-2007, 01:48 PM
hi got a valor gas fire when i hold down and turn the nob to ignite the pilot light the pilot light comes on but soon as i let go it goes off tried holding it down for over a minute any one know what this prob could be or what sort of cost im looking at thanks

fergalsworld
27-07-2007, 02:33 PM
hi got a valor gas fire when i hold down and turn the nob to ignite the pilot light the pilot light comes on but soon as i let go it goes off tried holding it down for over a minute any one know what this prob could be or what sort of cost im looking at thanks
It will most probably be the thermo coupling thats faulty
its the copper thing that the pilot light flame goes to.
You will be able to get a universal one from a stockist only should cost about 5-10 quid.

jiro
27-07-2007, 07:15 PM
cheers m8 will go and get one just didnt want to be ripped off by calling someone out

wullboy
27-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Just remember m8 , you must be corgi registered to change a thermocouple

george_ous
30-07-2007, 01:24 PM
That's right if you do any electrics or gas work then you run the risk that your home insurance is void, Plus gas makes a big mess when it blows !!

wullboy
31-07-2007, 06:01 PM
That's right if you do any electrics or gas work then you run the risk that your home insurance is void, Plus gas makes a big mess when it blows !!

Well done george_ous, youve just frightened the s***e out of jiro lol :roflmao:

Hitman
01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Ive got these working by wrapping foil around them to increase the heat but will only do as a temporary measure.

Not_much_cop
18-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Are you sure you have to be Corgi reg. just to change a thermocouple? There are no gas connections being broken to change it. I can see your point if you have to disconnect the fire to take it apart to change but some are change able if you take the front of the fire off. If you turn the gas off at the Stop Cock in the meter box then there is no need to disconnect either as long as you purge/empty the gas line first by turning the hob etc on, or even the fire you are about to work on, just wait for it to cool before starting work.