PDA

View Full Version : Wii won't power up

Celtic67
25-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Basically, I get the red LED, try to power on, get a brief orange LED, then it goes blank, no lights, no nothing. If I pull the power for a while, it goes back to the red LED & I'm back where I started.

I'm going to try & borrow a mate's Wii & PSU for testing but does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Other than it's dead?

And it's chipped, so no warranty. I might lie down & cry now.

notanotherone
25-07-2007, 11:40 AM
this is new to me have you checked your power?can you see anything on your tv screen at all? who chipped it for you ?they may have nicked a wire because even though you have it chipped and the chip is goosed it should still boot up and play your original games,is it a wiifree or a wiikey thats installed ?

berley
25-07-2007, 02:01 PM
And it's chipped, so no warranty. I might lie down & cry now.

not the best answer but - buy another one, put the goosed one in the new box and take it back a day later and get your money back :roflmao:

Celtic67
25-07-2007, 02:31 PM
It's a Wiid chip, been working about a month or so. The guy that did it is pretty good & although I wouldn't rule it out, I don't think he's caused it.

Berley, I like that idea. Cash purchase from Argos, so they can't trace me, maybe. Ha ha ha ha!

Kirsty
25-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Berley, I like that idea. Cash purchase from Argos, so they can't trace me, maybe. Ha ha ha ha!

I would do that too, but when your return stuff back 2 argos and get your money back they ask you for your name and address so if ur gonna do that it might be best to give a different name and address :goodluck:

wullboy
25-07-2007, 08:04 PM
You`s Girls Are Shocking,,,,, But I Like It :roflmao:

y2krog2000
25-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I would do what Berley said to, I always do that in pcworld and argos and get a replacement or my money back, I was told in argos by someone that works there that they give you a replacement if it breaks within 12 months but that was a freeview box I was asking about though, but BEWARE I did bring in a mobile phone to argos that I didnt like and told them there was something wrong with it and they wanted to send it away to be checked out before giving me a refund or replacement (only had the phone 2 days and said it kept cutting out during calls), but I had a big argument with them in the shop and got my money back.

Celtic67
26-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Argos don't include the Wii in their moneyback guarantee, but if something's faulty when you buy it, they're obliged to give a refund, I think.

The alternative is my home insurance. If I say I dropped it, it isn't a warranty repair but is covered by accidental damage cover. About time I got some use out of that.

berley
26-07-2007, 01:38 PM
yea typical scots mans thinking :roflmao:

is there no where else that offers u a refund with the wii, what about woolworth etc

y2krog2000
26-07-2007, 08:38 PM
The alternative is my home insurance. If I say I dropped it, it isn't a warranty repair but is covered by accidental damage cover. About time I got some use out of that.
You might be right, I was told of someone the other week that broke a mirror in their house when decorating and they were able to claim it back of their insurance.

You could buy one out of argos and get their 3 Year Breakdown Cover for 29:99 and then you might be able to return it if they dont take a note of the serial number, but you would probably have to give fake address etc as im sure they will find out soon enough that you chipped it and it broke.

Celtic67
30-07-2007, 03:00 PM
All kinda sorted now. I took out the chip, cleaned the board up, etc, put it all back together & it's working. Looks like the modchip's died.

You can't imagine how relieved I am.

notanotherone
30-07-2007, 03:48 PM
am so glad you didnt just give up and that youve found the problem it may have just been a little bit of solder that shouldnt have been where it was and are you sure the chip is gone?i take it it was mounted on a zif holder? and that is ok ?

Celtic67
01-08-2007, 01:09 PM
The chip was soldered in direct, not much room for a socket in there, though I'm going to try one next time.

I'll try putting it back in when I get time. My PC's now scrambling hard drives for fun, so I'm being kept busy there. 300GB of downloads corrupted. I think I may have done something to screw my karma over :-( Don't remember running any old dears over though.

I am going to have a go with some opensource chips though, get a 12F629 and try a few of the available hexes.

berley
01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
i take it it was mounted on a zif holder? and that is ok ?

think thats what mine is mounted on and its on the outside of the wii and ive never had any bother with it, cept when nao sent me a duff game :roflmao:

RichEO
15-08-2007, 04:39 AM
Wiid chip is on it's own little circuit board, so you can't mount it in a socket or zif holder.

Strange problem you had, did you test for any shorts before removing the chip? To stop your Wii from powering on at all it will have had to be a short with Vcc which ran the risk of breaking it. The shorts with the other points just stop the Wii temporarily reading disks or make it try and insert a disk constantly.

Celtic67
20-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Strange problem you had, did you test for any shorts before removing the chip? To stop your Wii from powering on at all it will have had to be a short with Vcc which ran the risk of breaking it. The shorts with the other points just stop the Wii temporarily reading disks or make it try and insert a disk constantly.

The Wiinja is definitely dead. I've wired in a socket & fitted it externally. I've got a chip with Wiifree running happily there (thanks to notanotherone), so the socket is good. I tried the Wiinja but it didn't work. Having said that, I don't think it gave the same power problem. I'll give it another test, see if it does.