PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Wii questions (modding)

ssmacc
23-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I?ve just bought a Wii and have done a bit of reading but have a couple of questions regarding the mod chip.

A) I?ve read that some games will update the console and disable the Wii if a mod chip is present, is this true and if so what are people with modded consoles doing? (not playing specific games etc?)

B) I assume Bowlers (Manchester) has stalls which will mod the console, if so does anyone know how much it costs or is there somewhere else I can take the Wii (preferably South Manchester)

C) Nothing so far would make me want to connect the console to the internet, but I assume a modded console can not go online or is there a chip that can be turned on and off (like the original XBOX)

Thanks for any help!

berley
23-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I’ve just bought a Wii and have done a bit of reading but have a couple of questions regarding the mod chip.
A) I’ve read that some games will update the console and disable the Wii if a mod chip is present, is this true and if so what are people with modded consoles doing? (not playing specific games etc?)- you need to make sure you have the latest firmware on the wii and all should be fine just b4 you play another region game
B) I assume Bowlers (Manchester) has stalls which will mod the console, if so does anyone know how much it costs or is there somewhere else I can take the Wii (preferably South Manchester)- dont know about down south but they are charging 40quid in scotland but wer'e probably getting ripped off
C) Nothing so far would make me want to connect the console to the internet, but I assume a modded console can not go online or is there a chip that can be turned on and off (like the original XBOX)- yes a modded console can go online, as i said in question 1, u need to go online and make sure you have the latest firmware for the wii before you play any of the other region games

ssmacc
23-07-2007, 12:37 PM
OK, thanks for the swift reply, it sounds like all I have to do is make sure a US game does not update the console and I?ll be fine.

Could a UK game (copy) update the machine or would that cause problems?

Thanks for the info!

berley
23-07-2007, 05:41 PM
as far as i know all pal games should be ok but dont quote me on that and check further, i know paper mario caused a lot of peeps to end up with 'bricked' consoles but appartently if you updated the firmware before you played the game you were fine, i did try paper mario as my machine had been updated but the game never worked on my machine :(

tactix
13-08-2007, 02:23 PM
there is an application called wiibrickblocker if you plan on using ntsc games then use this application on the iso before burning and it will take out the system update

hope that helps clear up the other region question

RichEO
15-08-2007, 04:28 AM
You can play backups online. Mario strikers is the only one at the moment anyway.

The latest firmware, 3.0E has a mod chip warning, but doesn't affect them.