PDA

View Full Version : Can any wii be chipped???????

blackers
19-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Just a quick question, does anyone know if all wii's can be chipped???? I know they've made a few different models that's all.

Cheers

tactix
13-08-2007, 02:27 PM
all wii's can be chipped but on the later models nintendo have cut 3 pins on the dvd drive main chip to stop modchips so the only way around it is reconstructing the legs or grinding the chip so the traces going to the pins that were cut are showing and soldering onto them but warning they are pretty damn close so unless your a dab hand with a soldering iron with a niddle tip i would get a pro to do it

notanotherone
13-08-2007, 07:14 PM
as tactix says ytou have to be very careful you can only grind away one way too you have to go from side to side you cant go up the way .ill find the id numbers of the wii`s which have the missing legs if i can mind where i put it and post it

i think this is the information........... You can tell if it's a d2b with the cut legs as it will have a serial number above leh123*****

Celtic67
14-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Hopefully one of these will help:

Wii chipset version - WikiTemp (http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Wii_chipset_version&printable=yes)

Nintendo-Scene Wii Serial Tracker (http://nintendo-scene.com/wiitracker/)

RichEO
15-08-2007, 04:24 AM
There are rumours of a D2C drive chip, although I have modded a lot of Wiis and not seen any. If you were to get a Wii with a D2C chip then they are currently not moddable, although that is extremely unlikely.

If you are modding a Wii with the cut legs, you will need some flux to help tin the newly exposed tracks of the IC as they are copper and the solder won't stick without this. Also it's difficult to get a strong joint because there is little surface area so a hot glue gun will help to stick the wire in place (after testing).

maharaja
15-08-2007, 08:27 AM
D2C chip? if i was to use wiikey would it be different?

RichEO
16-08-2007, 10:31 AM
D2C chip? if i was to use wiikey would it be different?

You don't need to worry about having a D2C drive chip at the moment, just if it does exist and becomes common, Wiis can't be modded until they come up with something else.

You will not have one though, only a handful have been reported, which is why noone is sure if they are fact or fiction.

Normal chips are DMs and D2B. WiiKey works with either of those. If you are installing yourself, I suggest connecting with wires rather than trying to quicksolder it. If your Wii happens to have the legs cut on the drive chip then you will have to use wires anyway.

maharaja
16-08-2007, 01:08 PM
You don't need to worry about having a D2C drive chip at the moment, just if it does exist and becomes common, Wiis can't be modded until they come up with something else.
You will not have one though, only a handful have been reported, which is why noone is sure if they are fact or fiction.
Normal chips are DMs and D2B. WiiKey works with either of those. If you are installing yourself, I suggest connecting with wires rather than trying to quicksolder it. If your Wii happens to have the legs cut on the drive chip then you will have to use wires anyway.

Thanks for your reply, does this mean almost any model of wii can be modded with wiikey? if i was to buy brand new wii today i will just install the wiikey like i have done with the older models and expect it to work without any probs?

I just want to confirm before i do anythig stupid.

RichEO
16-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks for your reply, does this mean almost any model of wii can be modded with wiikey? if i was to buy brand new wii today i will just install the wiikey like i have done with the older models and expect it to work without any probs?
I just want to confirm before i do anythig stupid.

If you bought a new Wii today, there is high chance that is a cut leg Wii, which is still moddable, but quite a bit more difficult. You may have done one of these before, I don't know.

Someone bought one last weekend from Gamestation and it happened to be the old style, but most new Wiis are the cut legs ones, it depends on the stock situation of the store I think.