PDA

View Full Version : vista installation

ropete
18-07-2007, 10:31 PM
have windows xp.loaded up vista from within windows.went through the process,option keep old xp and program.said yes.once finished installing.computer very slow downloading.2.kps per second.instead of 400kps.had to reinstall windows xp,to format the harddrive,once windows bare program had finished,then i could install vista premium,and now runs alot faster,even with only 500 meg ram.anyone else had trouble.

purplesweetie
19-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Sometimes the problem seems to be that IPV6 is working in the background even though we only use IPV4.
Turning off IPV6 usually helps a lot.

Hexen-NI
03-12-2007, 01:02 AM
NEVER put an O/S on top of another O/S. It will work for a while, then become corrupt very, very quickly!

If you install or re-install Windows on top of another corrupted Windows version you're just asking for trouble (it's a bit like bulldozing your house and building another house on top of the rubble)!

If XP or Vista becomes corrupt or if you're upgrading from XP to Vista, back-up your files first - then perform a complete new install Windows (this is like bulldozing your house, clearing the rubble away, re-laying fresh foundations, building a new home from the lessons you learned, then finally moving your furniture back in).

pande_monium
03-12-2007, 01:24 PM
NEVER put an O/S on top of another O/S. It will work for a while, then become corrupt very, very quickly!

If you install or re-install Windows on top of another corrupted Windows version you're just asking for trouble (it's a bit like bulldozing your house and building another house on top of the rubble)!

If XP or Vista becomes corrupt or if you're upgrading from XP to Vista, back-up your files first - then perform a complete new install Windows (this is like bulldozing your house, clearing the rubble away, re-laying fresh foundations, building a new home from the lessons you learned, then finally moving your furniture back in).

Good analogy ;p.

I agree completely. And its not just Windows that suffers from this. I've had the same problem with Mac OS X. I had installed Leopard over Tiger and it had tonnes of glitches.

There are just so many leftovers that its near-on impossible to keep the OS lean & mean for a good amount of time.

I always install my Windows/Mac OS X fresh after formatting my hdd. Which is why I always keep my stuff on the 2nd partition and the OS & apps on the 1st partition.