PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Speeds

Gazer
01-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Iv been with a provider now for 3/4 years called supernet and they have been good....that was upto now.

I started off with them in the early days with 512mps and moved up to 1mb, then 14 months back went to 2mb i was getting over 2mb with them, it was working out around 2.2mb which was good, anyway iv now got 8mb with them which they said my exchange was doing that all iam getting is between 4.1mb and 4.6mb ????
anyone know why this is .....i only live 1 mile away from the exchange plus if i was going to lose any would it not of happen when i was on the 2mb as well. :confused:

Regards Gazer

renwich
01-07-2007, 11:44 AM
they may have increased the contention ratio, means u share the available bandwidth with more users

krazylegz
03-07-2007, 11:31 AM
how do you find out how far away from the exchange you are? coz before i got cable in i was with both wanadoo and virgin adsl and was only getting 1.2mb max most of the time it was only connecting at 256kb when i was supposedly on 8meg

DessertDog
03-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Iv been with a provider now for 3/4 years called supernet and they have been good....that was upto now.

I started off with them in the early days with 512mps and moved up to 1mb, then 14 months back went to 2mb i was getting over 2mb with them, it was working out around 2.2mb which was good, anyway iv now got 8mb with them which they said my exchange was doing that all iam getting is between 4.1mb and 4.6mb ????
anyone know why this is .....i only live 1 mile away from the exchange plus if i was going to lose any would it not of happen when i was on the 2mb as well. :confused:

Regards Gazer
Are they caping your speed gazer?

Gazer
03-07-2007, 01:37 PM
how do you find out how far away from the exchange you are? coz before i got cable in i was with both wanadoo and virgin adsl and was only getting 1.2mb max most of the time it was only connecting at 256kb when i was supposedly on 8meg

well for me i just got in me car and went to our exchange and reset the speedo and came home, and it ended up 1 mile.

Are they caping your speed gazer?

nope m8 not as far as i know

i have notice if i disconnect my wireless router and plug it back in i get diffant speeds each time and it will stop at that speed all day long until i unplug the router again at the moment iam getting 6164 kbps which i think will be the best i will get for now

pipehose
04-07-2007, 08:57 PM
what are you using to test speed

beermat
05-07-2007, 10:36 AM

I'd like to find out how to check the speed of my broadband connection as well, if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated :)

DanielHarvey
05-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I'd like to find out how to check the speed of my broadband connection as well, if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated :)

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net)

Gazer
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Its on my wireless router in the settings.....it tells you incoming and outgoing speeds, plus everythink else you need to know.

pipehose
05-07-2007, 06:08 PM
im on tiscali max which should be upto 8mb max im getting 315kbs so there down grading me too 2mb as they now say my line is not capable of 8mb i used to get 1652kbs on the 2mb package

beermat
05-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Many thanks for the link and after testing mine i got a reading of 966 kbps.

The only problem is i have no idea what is a good or bad reading LOL

pipehose
05-07-2007, 10:10 PM
what you are getting is nearly a imb download speed

Gazer
05-07-2007, 11:33 PM
@ pipe they should let you keep the 8mb for the price of 2mb if thats all your getting

pipehose
05-07-2007, 11:44 PM
i was getting the 8mb for ?14.99 which was the price off the 2mb i threaten to leave and they give me the 8 for that price

beermat
06-07-2007, 09:22 AM
what you are getting is nearly a imb download speed

That's good to know as I'm paying for 1mb which AOL are going to upgrade to 2mb for free in the next few months !

If AOL would only sort their toolbar and pop up blocker out I'd be very happy indeed, thanks for the info

tomboy1
06-07-2007, 12:18 PM
i;v just found this isp sounds ok but are they ?
IDNet | Broadband (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. they say on there site . home max is ?24.99 on a months contract with 30gb download allowence per month & no Contention & capping at 8gb how true is this with this isp any advice would be great . With pipex at the moment & they are **** capping me to the point that i get 0 gb at times

i;v just found this isp sounds ok but are they ?
IDNet | Broadband (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. they say on there site . home max is ?24.99 on a months contract with 30gb download allowence per month & no Contention & capping at 8gb how true is this with this isp any advice would be great . With pipex at the moment & they are **** capping me to the point that i get 0 gb at times . just phoned the above isp & they say that they have no Contention but they did say that it depends on what bt;s Contention is on the line let me know if this isp is any good many thanks

Collider
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
You had a look at pipex gazer,capped at 2gb download limit though

All the facts - More about Pipex Mini, Pipex Midi or Pipex Max (http://www.pipex.co.uk/allthefacts/)

tomboy1
11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
is there not software out there that can speed up my internet pipex capping me all the time when i phone them they say there not capping me lying all the time this is driving me nutss helpppppppppppppppppppppppppp

is there no software out there that can speed up my internet pipex capping me all the time when i phone them they say there not capping me lying all the time this is driving me nutss helpppppppppppppppppppppppppp i am trapped in a 12 month contract with them

y2krog2000
11-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Im having the same problems, im paying for 8mb with bt but they told me before I got it that I would only be getting 5.5mb but im only getting about 1.5 but they said it will take up to 10 days for the line to settle and get the faster speeds. I found this the other day on the net when trying to find out why the internet was slow (because bt call advisors are useless).

If its on a bt phone line you can test the line and how far away you are from the exchange by doing the following.

Quiet Line Test

Unplug any extention phones, extention cables, answer machines or fax (anything except the phone you will use to do the test!).

Plug a normal touch tone phone directly into the BT master socket.

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that you are using the master socket. If you are sure its the line making the noise then dial BT and report the fault, they should be able to sort it out. Remember that 'mis-reporting' a fault (e.g. if it turns out to be your phone, extention cord etc.) may be charged a call-out fee by BT.

any probs? see It doesn't work? try this

Distance From Exchange

Dial the same line test number as the quiet line test (17070). Then press option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (to say you are authorised, don't worry about 'not being officially authorised'). The press option 2 (ring back test). Then put the phone down.

You will get called back by the test facility within about 10 seconds, one of the bits of information given will be distance from exchange (in kilometres).

*The distance result may not be accurate if you have a 'DACs' fitted. It is not 100% accurate but does serve as a guide.

any probs? see It doesn't work? (below)

It doesn't work?

You need a BT line.

You need to use a touch tone phone.

You have caller line id (CLI) blocked, if this is the case then on dialling 17070 the message will include 'there is no CLI detected for this circuit'. You can get round this by dialling a prefix before 17070, the prefix is 1470, so the full line test number will be 1470 17070.

I havent tried this yet but will try it if I don't get faster speeds after the 10 days is up.

berley
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
they reckon i live to far from the exchange to get any better than 2megs - this is my speeds at the minute, im with pipex adsl because i cant get cable :(

http://www.speedtest.net/result/152997418.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

y2krog2000
11-07-2007, 02:02 PM
they reckon i live to far from the exchange to get any better than 2megs - this is my speeds at the minute, im with pipex adsl because i cant get cable :(
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Have you seen if you can get sky broadband, I have read that you get good speeds with them up to 16mb.

berley
11-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Have you seen if you can get sky broadband, I have read that you get good speeds with them up to 16mb.

yes ive tried them all, they all offer speeds of up to 8 megs i think, but when they check my line they tell me the best i can get is 2 meg

Hunter
11-07-2007, 03:42 PM
i dont seem to be having problems off virgin :-":-"
http://www.speedtest.net/result/123260054.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Magnu420
11-07-2007, 03:44 PM

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. hey berley you getting better speed then me and im on n*l,just had them out again today tried a new modem he then did a speed test then did another speedtest the results was totaly different to the first test he then did another test which was different from the other 2 test,he phoned his office and they pinged the line and they said i was losing signal from the green box to my house so ive got a gang comming out next week to sort the line out and hopefully il be able to get me other modem back online
the test in my siggy was taken from me other modem before i had probs and the upgrade this is my test now on a 2 meg line http://www.speedtest.net/result/153045458.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

berley
11-07-2007, 03:47 PM
aTo view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. here's hoping you get it fixed soon then mags as i know you've been experiencing probs for quite a while now - but oi dont come onto the shoutbox bragging about your speeds when you do, because at the min at least i know ive not got the sh*tiest speeds :roflmao:

tactix
17-07-2007, 02:39 PM
your router will only tell you what max speed you are syncing at that can be considerably higher than 6your provider will let you have especialy if you isp is running off llu ( local loop unbundling ) hardware at the exchange

i had major problems with orange bb i was paying for 8 meg but was capped to 2.7 meg due to the llu hardware

also the distance you are from the exchange doesent always reflect the length of your line as its not direct it could take detours round god knows how many estates ect

notanotherone
17-07-2007, 02:43 PM
i have notice if i disconnect my wireless router and plug it back in i get diffant speeds each time and it will stop at that speed all day long until i unplug the router again at the moment iam getting 6164 kbps which i think will be the best i will get for now

dont unplug your router then

george_ous
19-07-2007, 10:22 AM
How accurate are the speedtests I find that I can click on it 3 times in succession and getting massively differing results. I'm on cable btw, I reckon it would be even worse on ADSL depending on the load on the exchange at the time.

Collider
19-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Try it about 5 times through out the day and average it,i get grat speeds in the morning but come midday and weekends its a nightmare lol

Declan
19-07-2007, 02:27 PM
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Lol

y2krog2000
23-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Im having the same problems, im paying for 8mb with bt but they told me before I got it that I would only be getting 5.5mb but im only getting about 1.5 but they said it will take up to 10 days for the line to settle and get the faster speeds.
Was on the phone to bt again today for about the 20th time, all other times they said there was no problem with my internet connection after testing my line which they said was in good working order but the ones today found probems and said I should be getting 6-8mb and not the 1-1.5mb because im only 1.4km from the exchange they said they will get someone to find what the fault is and get back to me, 3 weeks with bad speeds and bt have been basically calling me a liar on the phone and saying that im getting 8mb speeds but at least now they have admited that there is something wrong now and it might be fixed.

hotspur
04-12-2007, 01:13 AM
adsl always been blah

enrmchan
11-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm with Virgin ... test result says barely 1MB, while I'm paying for 4MB!

dboxer
23-01-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm with Sky, who say "upto 16MB" but connecting at 10MB

Which is not optimal but still great for the price.

mans0012
29-01-2008, 12:46 PM
im with virgin i think im getting 20mb so they say

jitendra
01-02-2008, 01:01 PM
it depends on the exchange and how for you are from the local one

digicell
12-02-2008, 10:44 PM
i have signed up with virgin broadband in non cable areas and i should be recieving around 4- 8 MB but i always seem to be receiing less than that only about 2 MB :(

smif
29-03-2008, 10:03 PM
After downloading a certain amount with v-media your speeds will be halved
for so long because of the traffic shaping/load balancing in place.

gazman
10-04-2008, 11:26 PM
With Sky. Should be 8mb but only getting 4-5mb

cloud007
12-04-2008, 11:12 PM
had virgin cable some time ago which was great but since then have moved to a non cable area, so im now with Be, get around 12/13mb, not bad.

snowman_sco
13-04-2008, 12:53 AM
thisa might be stating the obvious

but you said you are using a wireless connection these routers have a bad habbit of polling for the other pc that are on the network wether you are connected or the pc is on or not have you tried just hard wire without wireless router??

i think you might see an improvement there if you do that

or have you done this already