PDA

View Full Version : internet provider advice please

tomboy1
15-06-2007, 04:31 PM
hi all hope someone can help me withis problem . > i am with pipex isp but they are capping my speed all the time cant download a torrent file after 2pm they are capping it to the point that i get nothing untill the next day . Is there anyway i can get my speed back up ? or can someone tell me is there any isp out there that is not capping your speed my sister was with ntl & her internet speed was great until vigin took over now there capping her speed any advice would be great thanks ps they are all advertising 8meg speed but you dont get it it;s crap & they are getting away with it

DanielHarvey
15-06-2007, 04:44 PM
I can only advise you not oto go near AOL. I have an 8meg connection which gets limited between 6 - 11 to less that .5 meg. Its a disgrace that they can advertise 8meg & supply you with less than 1/16th of it.

jstev21
15-06-2007, 04:50 PM
i agree totaly, i was with aol (still am kind off) asked to cancel my account so they sent me out a new dsl router (18 month contract) i dont think so, routers on e-bay as we speak, account with bank changed, was paying for a 8 meg service was lucky to get 2Meg, apparently my comp was full of viruses and that was what was slowing my net down Hmmm ok "stay away from AOL"

DessertDog
15-06-2007, 04:57 PM
hi all hope someone can help me withis problem . > i am with pipex isp but they are capping my speed all the time cant download a torrent file after 2pm they are capping it to the point that i get nothing untill the next day . Is there anyway i can get my speed back up ? or can someone tell me is there any isp out there that is not capping your speed my sister was with ntl & her internet speed was great until vigin took over now there capping her speed any advice would be great thanks ps they are all advertising 8meg speed but you dont get it it;s crap & they are getting away with it

All i can say is i have been with cable for about 10 years now dialup and broadband and i have never had any real problems with NTL in the whole of that time i know they are a pain to get hold of but who isnt these days try phoning gas,electric etc.

zerofool2005
15-06-2007, 09:16 PM
All current british ISP that i know of currently cap. Unless you can find one that isnt a big name one. There are quite a few out there

Hitman
15-06-2007, 11:45 PM
I got the free talk talk broadband and im downloading stuff all the time no probs, usually get about 2mb but if you exchange has been updated you can get about 6 mb.

As for aol, what a pile o s_it that is..the problems ive seen with family and friends computers using it.

I know talk talk and aol are now both run by carphone warehouse but talk talk seems ok.
Not very good for support tho!

zerofool2005
16-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Well thats ADSL for you lol.

berley
16-06-2007, 12:13 PM
I got the free talk talk broadband and im downloading stuff all the time no probs, usually get about 2mb but if you exchange has been updated you can get about 6 mb.

As for aol, what a pile o s_it that is..the problems ive seen with family and friends computers using it.

I know talk talk and aol are now both run by carphone warehouse but talk talk seems ok.
Not very good for support tho!

did you need to sign an 18 month contract when u went with them, i can only get adsl and talk talk seems to be about the cheapest package around at the min for phone and broadband, whats their newservers like ? as im with pipex at the min and get diabolical download speeds when using newsgroups but fine with torrents early in the morning or later on at nite, pretty much the same as what tomboy1 described

can anyone that is on talk talk advise if they are any good, soz tomboy1 im not hijacking your thread, it seems that we pretty much have the same problem so we should both benefit from the answers

tomboy1
16-06-2007, 03:58 PM
yes please lets hear a bit about talk talk isp cos this **** pipex is driving me nuts . At the moment i;m stuck with phone & internet with pipex for a years contract phone is great free calls to any 01 02 numberers 27/7 but internet sevice is **** download will change isp as soon as my contract is up so want to get a good isp provider will need to change phone as well as my phone & internet is all one package for ?30 a month . have phoned pipex about my internet being capped all they say is your not being capped as your not in our high usage bracket . lying basterads so cant win with them please advice my sister says since virgin took over ntl her internet is **** too

hacktheworld
18-10-2007, 12:46 AM
from experience i can tell you that pipex and aol gets VERY busy from around 6 oclock onwards from american users coming online but i am also being capped from using pipex my dl speed gets down to 160kbps on a night which is pants seen as its ment to be 8meg... anyways thats the reason why pipex is slow