PDA

View Full Version : Operating Systems

Gazer
21-06-2006, 09:05 PM
If you have a computer, then you have heard about operating systems. Any desktop or laptop PC that you buy normally comes pre-loaded with Windows XP. Macintosh computers come pre-loaded with OS X. Many corporate servers use the Linux or UNIX operating systems. The operating system (OS) is the first thing loaded onto the computer -- without the operating system, a computer is useless.
More recently, operating systems have started to pop up in smaller computers as well. If you like to tinker with electronic devices, you are probably pleased that operating systems can now be found on many of the devices we use every day, from Mobile Phones to wireless access points. The computers used in these little devices have gotten so powerful that they can now actually run an operating system and applications. The computer in a typical modern cell phone is now more powerful than a desktop computer from 20 years ago, so this progression makes sense and is a natural development. In any device that has an operating system, there's usually a way to make changes to how the device works. This is far from a happy accident; one of the reasons operating systems are made out of portable code rather than permanent physical circuits is so that they can be changed or modified without having to scrap the whole device.
For a desktop computer user, this means you can add a new security update, system patch, new application or often even a new operating system entirely rather than junk your computer and start again with a new one when you need to make a change. As long as you understand how an operating system works and know how to get at it, you can in many cases change some of the ways it behaves. And, it's as true of your cell phone as it is of your computer.
The purpose of an operating system is to organize and control hardware and software so that the device it lives in behaves in a flexible but predictable way.

matthead
22-06-2006, 07:54 AM
what the lastest MS OS in development

Shipoftheline
22-06-2006, 07:57 AM
what the lastest MS OS in development

Everything is being put into getting Vista out on time but after that it will be codename blackcomb

little_pob
22-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Everything is being put into getting Vista out on time but after that it will be codename blackcomb
I love wikipedia: Windows "Vienna" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Blackcomb)

terryb
14-07-2006, 10:11 PM
is blackcomb not the server version of vista?, i recall reading somthing along those lines when vista was longhorn. Anyone shed some light?

Shipoftheline
14-07-2006, 11:23 PM
is blackcomb not the server version of vista?, i recall reading somthing along those lines when vista was longhorn. Anyone shed some light?

No XP was code named Longhorn the beta os's are named after skie resorts

01dmeng
15-07-2006, 11:56 AM
This should help!

Windows "Vienna" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Blackcomb)

aporter1985
30-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the links guys.

the_coldman
21-11-2006, 05:33 PM
give me mac OS X 10.3.9 i can count the known viruse that can hit a mac on one hand. Yet in the same breath i have a windose laptop...dooh!

Shipoftheline
21-11-2006, 05:42 PM
give me mac OS X 10.3.9 i can count the known viruse that can hit a mac on one hand. Yet in the same breath i have a windose laptop...dooh!

I don't know one person with a mac so its not really surprising. If mac's took off like PC's things would be different

purplesweetie
22-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Macs are great, far better than pcs's. Microshaft have spent years trying to copy OSX, without success. Vista will have a lot of features of 10.4. But soon after that OSX 10.5 will be released. It will make pc's look very dated again.

Shipoftheline
22-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Macs are great, far better than pcs's. Microshaft have spent years trying to copy OSX, without success..

They have an OS now which can leather OSX on a mac so why would they want to copy a lesser os :banghead:

yuorz
01-01-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't about that. Just because an OS is faster than another (really what difference is it going to make on a computer of today's power?) doesn't make any difference. Windows always has been trying to keep up with the competition and from the very beginning has been an act in mimic. Just because you put a new coat on a doll it doesn't make it a new doll.

The amiga was (and probably still is) a better designed machine lacking only in hardware upgrades. Which is where Apple fall because the hardware is basically proprietary before the Intel revolution and fall into the same boat as the Amiga.

Just because something has so many supporters doesn't make it great...ook at any religion

molegrips
26-02-2007, 07:02 PM
I,m not even gonna mention Linux..... oops! just did, :-) and the fact it's free either.... er! sorry, did it again Doh!

:-P

Mole