PDA

View Full Version : Racism Hits The House And Emily Gets The Boot

y2krog2000
07-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Emily Parr has been removed from the Big Brother house for using a racially offensive word to another housemate.

The 19-year-old from Bristol was taken out of the compound at 0330 BST and was forbidden from having any further contact with the 11 other contestants.

A spokeswoman for Channel 4 said that the decision had been taken because "such behaviour won't be tolerated".

This week's eviction vote, in which Emily was nominated along with Shabnam Paryani, has been suspended.

Channel 4 said the offensive term was not broadcast in the programme during a live stream, and was immediately reported to senior production staff.

Emily said: "Are you pushing it out, you nigger?" to Charley Uchea, while they were dancing in the living room on Wednesday evening.

Indian-born Nicky Maxwell, who was also present, said to Emily: "Erm, I can't believe you just said that."

Charley said "You are in trouble", adding she was "in shock".

Emily replied: "Don't make a big thing out of it... I was joking."

In consultation with broadcast executives, the decision was taken to remove Emily from the house because she had breached rules governing contestant behaviour.

This includes causing serious offence based on the grounds of race.

Angela Jain, head of the Big Brother commissioning team, said: "The word nigger is clearly racially offensive and there was no justification for its use."

She added: "She [Emily] understands why her involvement has come to an end and she very much regrets what she said.

"I think people watching the show tonight will agree that Emily spoke carelessly rather than maliciously - certainly Charley and Nicky, the two housemates most directly involved in the conversation with her, seemed to accept that she did."

Ms Jain said that the decision had been taken in the wake of the alleged racist bullying of Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty on Celebrity Big Brother earlier this year.

The broadcaster was censured by media watchdog Ofcom and ordered to make a series of on-air apologies for the incident which prompted a flood of complaints.

A spokesman for the Commission For Racial Equality said: "Whichever way you look at it, the 'n' word is clearly offensive.

"This will show everyone that racism must never be tolerated in any way, shape or form," he added.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Emily is removed from Big Brother (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6729673.stm)

berley
07-06-2007, 03:33 PM
after celebrity big brother i dont think they will tolerate anything that even comes close to racism, they've got to much to lose and i personally have no sympathy for emily, whether the word 'nigger' was used in a jokey manner or not, its a horrible word and one that wouldn't roll easily off my tongue, it just makes you wonder if its one that she uses on a regular basis

Lainie
08-06-2007, 05:34 PM
stupid stupid girl that she is personally i detest that word and she deserves everything that gets thrown at her. is tonights eviction still on??

Shipoftheline
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Apprantly most complaints were against her being evicted

Channel 4 has received more than 900 complaints saying it should not have removed Big Brother contestant Emily Parr from the show after she used a racially offensive word.

A Channel 4 spokesman said that by around 2pm today the broadcaster had received 922 complaints saying that Parr should not have been taken out of the house.

Parr was removed from the house in the early hours of yesterday morning, after she used a racially offensive word to a fellow housemate.

The spokesman added that 68 calls had been received praising the broadcaster's handling of the situation.

Media registration promo | Media | MediaGuardian.co.uk (http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,2098742,00.html)

berley
08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
i would imagine that a lot more complaints would have flooded in had channel four not taken the appropriate action of removing her from the house

peeps are unlikely to complain now that the action has been taken and she has been removed

Kirsty
08-06-2007, 09:23 PM
is tonights eviction still on??

No its been suspended bb said go onto there website for a refund if you voted. They are putting 2 guys in tonight.

BIGGY
08-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Truly shocking. First the Jade incident, now this........

The-Wappy-One
09-06-2007, 12:44 AM
EDIT DOWN A REALLY LONG POST TO 1 LINE

Enough is enough carnt we just boycot this crap off the tv,

at the end of the day any publicity is good publicity and they will just use this and other incident like this to get more people to watch and then charge more out to companies wanting to advertise in the break adds.

This is just crap TV

sorry really gets my goat and by no means do i condone what was said by the woman but tbh i think BB want things like this to happen and thats why they pick people that gwill get other peoples backs up and things happen and then they get free press and publicity over it ...

rant over sorry went over my 1 line there lol

Shipoftheline
09-06-2007, 09:40 AM
i would imagine that a lot more complaints would have flooded in had channel four not taken the appropriate action

True but I was told the black women used the term strange really don't you think ? Remember too when coronation street used the term white trash and that was permitted. I just think allot of people are P'd off at the system being so one sided

lincsat
09-06-2007, 12:05 PM
A White girl and a Black girl used the same word and the White girl was discriminated against because of her colour - no wonder there have been complaints of Racism!

The-Wappy-One
09-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Ship & lincsat you hit the nail on the head that was what i put before i got so annoyed and just deleted it ..

its one sided lets just use a snippit from my life i was in dewsbury and there was some asian teens in a group calling people as they pass "Salad Cream" this is a raasis term and they were at it for at least 30mins before they went of there own accord but if it was a bunch of white teens in a group saying chocolate drop (or something similar) the police will be there in mins ...

all i want is rasism FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE TO STOP.. lifes to short hate people for the coulor of there skin ... me out!

also remember in the 40's & 50's the N was not offencive but the term black was... intresting how things change over the years.

Shipoftheline
09-06-2007, 02:03 PM
tbh I don't know what to say something even asking can seem racist because the whole issue has been blown out of proportion. Just what is the PC term these days is it a black person or a coloured person ?