PDA

View Full Version : Made My Beer Wrong And It Didnt Taste Great

y2krog2000
30-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Made my beer without reading the instructions because I went halfers with someone who said they made it before loads and knew what they were doing, I read the instructions later and found out that we had done quite a few things wrong, tasted nice as soon as I just tasted then it tasted rotten. Looks like real beer though and even got a pssst sound from it when I opened it, will read the instructions myself next time.

krazylegz
30-05-2007, 04:30 PM
:roflmao: that'll teach u not to read lol

wullboy
30-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Made my beer without reading the instructions because I went halfers with someone who said they made it before loads and knew what they were doing, I read the instructions later and found out that we had done quite a few things wrong, tasted nice as soon as I just tasted then it tasted rotten. Looks like real beer though and even got a pssst sound from it when I opened it, will read the instructions myself next time.
Y2krog2000,,,m8 always remember, there is no such thing as a bad beer, it is only that some beers are better than others :roflmao:

nobby
30-05-2007, 08:51 PM
What did you do wrong??

y2krog2000
30-05-2007, 08:56 PM
What did you do wrong??
Some powder that was in it to stop it going lumpy, the guy I made it with said he doesn't know what it is and it isn't needed so put it in at the wrong time and we put the sugar in as soon as we started making it, and I put more sugar in when I put it into the bottle, I still don't know when the right time is to add the sugar when it goes into the carboy or when it goes into the bottles. I was also meant to bottle it after 2 or 3 weeks I waited over a month but don't think that made any difference.

mickyrobbo
30-05-2007, 08:57 PM
You may hope you dont get a pssst sound a worse when you our sleeping as can make you go to the toilet when you least expect it if its bad beer,, happy sleeping I would put on a rubber sheet tonight :roflmao:

y2krog2000
30-05-2007, 09:02 PM
You may hope you dont get a pssst sound a worse when you our sleeping as can make you go to the toilet when you least expect it if its bad beer,, happy sleeping I would put on a rubber sheet tonight :roflmao:
lol, I binned it and went and bought 12 bud and a bottle of smirnoff, but im gonna try making that turbo cider soon and I don't have a rubber sheet mabey you could send me over one of yours :roflmao: :thumbup2:

nobby
31-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Some powder that was in it to stop it going lumpy, the guy I made it with said he doesn't know what it is and it isn't needed so put it in at the wrong time and we put the sugar in as soon as we started making it, and I put more sugar in when I put it into the bottle, I still don't know when the right time is to add the sugar when it goes into the carboy or when it goes into the bottles. I was also meant to bottle it after 2 or 3 weeks I waited over a month but don't think that made any difference.

Not sure what the powder is m8 - never heard of powder to stop beer going lumpy!! Is it malt powder by any chance?

Too much sugar is not a biggy - it just make the beer stronger and thins out the taste. Quality beer kits (3kg in weight) do not need sugar added at fermentation time. Cheaper kits (1.5kg) need a kg of sugar added at the start to get the strength of the beer to a reasonable level. Both type of kits need half a teaspoon per bottle added just before it's bottled or run into a barrel, to create life and head in the finished pint.

Leaving the beer in the fermenter too long risks infection (the beer would go vinegery) - but you'ld know if that had happened! Also it's in contact with dying yeast cells longer than it need be so there is a risk of some off flavours developing.

It sounds like so much can go wrong - but don't be put off - have another go. The main problem at this time of year is that the temperature might be too high to ferment (should be about 20'C). Find somewhere coolish, make sure everything is scrupulously clean and you should be ok!

mickyrobbo
31-05-2007, 06:19 PM
lol, I binned it and went and bought 12 bud and a bottle of smirnoff, but im gonna try making that turbo cider soon and I don't have a rubber sheet mabey you could send me over one of yours :roflmao: :thumbup2:
Cant do that y2 as I need mine im sure you can get one on fleabay m8 lol:peeingman:

Collider
02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Not sure what the powder is m8 - never heard of powder to stop beer going lumpy!! Is it malt powder by any chance?

Too much sugar is not a biggy - it just make the beer stronger and thins out the taste. Quality beer kits (3kg in weight) do not need sugar added at fermentation time. Cheaper kits (1.5kg) need a kg of sugar added at the start to get the strength of the beer to a reasonable level. Both type of kits need half a teaspoon per bottle added just before it's bottled or run into a barrel, to create life and head in the finished pint.

Leaving the beer in the fermenter too long risks infection (the beer would go vinegery) - but you'ld know if that had happened! Also it's in contact with dying yeast cells longer than it need be so there is a risk of some off flavours developing.

It sounds like so much can go wrong - but don't be put off - have another go. The main problem at this time of year is that the temperature might be too high to ferment (should be about 20'C). Find somewhere coolish, make sure everything is scrupulously clean and you should be ok!

You definetly know what your talking bout ;) 21c though lol

angusb
03-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I made some wrong once cos I left the back door open in the kitchen and I think some wild yeast got into the fermentation bin. 2 hours later had brown foam all over the kitchen floor and the whole house stank like mad. Got back from picking the missus up from work and you could smell it as soon as I opened the front door :-) - i was only out for 45 mins and it was fine when I left.