PDA

View Full Version : Low caste Indians set to convert

y2krog2000
27-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Thousands of tribal and Dalit Hindus in India are to embrace the Buddhist faith at a huge gathering in Mumbai.

The ceremony, which may be presided over by Tibet's exiled leader, the Dalai Lama, is billed as the largest religious conversion in modern India.

The converts hope to escape the rigid caste system in which their status is the lowest.

Right-wing Hindus have often opposed conversion, pushing some Indian states to restrict legal changes of faith.

The organisers say the number of people to convert in Sunday's ceremony could go up to 100,000, easily the biggest mass conversion in India's recent history.

Conversion controversies

The Dalits, once known as Untouchables, hope the conversion will give them dignity and equal rights.

Commentators say that despite the reservation of jobs for the Dalit and tribal communities, their social status and economic conditions have not greatly improved.

They say that Dalits still face widespread prejudice and discrimination.

Conversion is a controversial subject in India, especially if it involves Hindus converting to Christianity or Islam.

Two weeks ago two Catholic priests were publicly beaten after being accused of trying to bring a group of local people into the Catholic faith.

But converting to Buddhism does not evoke much adverse reaction, as most hardline Hindu leaders believe Buddhism is an extension of Hinduism.

Even so, several Indian states, especially the ones governed by the right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party, BJP, have made laws severely restricting conversion.

This is the same India that went mad calling Jade Goody a racist, UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Low caste Indians set to convert (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6695695.stm)

grahamemc
26-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I have been visiting India for many years,and as you say many dalits do attempt to convert.Those who do are often ostracised from their former community,at no gain to their families.It is an interesting point,as India may be called the largest democracy on Earth,but the poverty levels are unbelievable.Read about the Farmers,who have been commiting suicide for years now.More than 40 per cent of their elected officials have a criminal background,rangeing from murder to the usual fraud etc.I have seen food grain destined for schoolchildren,diverted for animal feed.Corruption,believe me,is RIFE.People say that we are racist,but the way most Indians treat Dalits is very much worse.This I have witnessed on many occasions.

virk
26-06-2007, 03:12 PM
but do these Dalits think that people will see them in a different light? again others in the community will see the same people who have converted but realistically they are the same Dalits who have only taken on a new religion due to them being afraid of what people think.

anonymouse
27-06-2007, 10:31 AM
the lack of faith in their religion means that no matter how many times they convert, they will never achieve anything.

given that i disagree with the caste system - i still think it is wrong to convert to try and find an 'easier' path for yourself.

turns out only 5% of the expected number converted. see news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6695695.stm

grahamemc
27-06-2007, 07:16 PM
No!No! Most do it as they believe it will avail them of a better standard of living.