PDA

View Full Version : i have done a lot of reading

dazzlet
23-05-2007, 04:02 PM
hi i have read loads of posts on this forum and i just would like to have a matter cleared up for me please.

i have grasped the idea of the image flashing and things but 2 things i am not sure on are

one the network lan thing. does this have to be a perminant connection between the pc and the dreambox in order for the keys and things to update?

also

with the updating of the keys i have read in a couple of places these auto update but how do they do that is it by the lan connection or when you scan for the channels. do i have to keep uploading new key files to the dreambox that i download from my pc to the dreambox 500c or what?

many thanks

nobby
23-05-2007, 05:03 PM
hi i have read loads of posts on this forum and i just would like to have a matter cleared up for me please.
i have grasped the idea of the image flashing and things but 2 things i am not sure on are
one the network lan thing. does this have to be a perminant connection between the pc and the dreambox in order for the keys and things to update?
also
with the updating of the keys i have read in a couple of places these auto update but how do they do that is it by the lan connection or when you scan for the channels. do i have to keep uploading new key files to the dreambox that i download from my pc to the dreambox 500c or what?
many thanks

The keys update automatically - the image on the dreambox updates them from the cable stream. The dreambox works independently of the pc when flashed - you might choose to keep a PC connected for other reasons (you can view the selected channel on the pc for example), but you do not need to do so

dazzlet
23-05-2007, 05:19 PM
thanks for clearing that up do the images such as gemini contain the key files or do i have to get them seperate from somewhere and how often do the boxes have to be updated then

nobby
23-05-2007, 10:47 PM
thanks for clearing that up do the images such as gemini contain the key files or do i have to get them seperate from somewhere and how often do the boxes have to be updated then

I think I'm right in saying all the uk dreambox images contain all you need they don't necessarily come with the current keys but they'll pick up the them up within a few minutes of being connected to the stream.

It's very rare a box has to be updated, in fact I can only think of one occasion when images were rendered impotent due to a CAM being compromised. Most of us update images because we can, rather than we need to

Timoweb
25-05-2007, 11:30 AM
All original images do not contain keys, modified ones mostly do hence the modified part (something added).

dazzlet
27-05-2007, 08:31 PM
on occasion will some of the channels be lost when the video and audio pids are changed by the cc. with the satrview i would have to manually delete the channel and do a rescan to get the fully working channel back is this the same with these dreamboxes or do they automatically detect the video or audio pid change and adjust accordingly?

nobby
27-05-2007, 08:50 PM
on occasion will some of the channels be lost when the video and audio pids are changed by the cc. with the satrview i would have to manually delete the channel and do a rescan to get the fully working channel back is this the same with these dreamboxes or do they automatically detect the video or audio pid change and adjust accordingly?

On neutrino images a rescan would be required, I believe the enigma images pick up channel changes by scanning in the background. I'm not 100% sure as I use neutrino as I prefer the interface

dazzlet
27-05-2007, 10:34 PM
so on the enigma or the nutrino do channels often stop working and have to be manually deleted and refound again?

satman
27-05-2007, 11:08 PM
so on the enigma or the nutrino do channels often stop working and have to be manually deleted and refound again?

the channels dont go off that often.
a rescan is required when the stream info sent from 'headend' is changed.

dazzlet
28-05-2007, 10:54 AM
its juat with the starview the i might loose 5 channels a week and have to delete them manually and rescan for them in order to get them working again and its a pian really when its random channels all the time.
how often do i have to update or change the cams on the box anyway?

dazzlet
28-05-2007, 08:51 PM
does anybody know about the channels being lost and having to be refound?