PDA

View Full Version : 80GB PlayStation 3 will not launch in the UK

22-05-2007, 12:51 PM
There are no plans to launch the new 80GB PlayStation 3 console anywhere except in South Korea. That's according to a Sony representative in Australia who spoke to the SMH .

Sony recently announced the launch of the 80GB PlayStation 3 console for the Korean market, where internet speeds are vastly superior to most other countries. Sony said that the amount of data that can be downloaded in Korea means that people there need more storage, hence the newly spec'd PS3.

And while there has been much speculation that this 80GB model will make its way into other territories like Europe, US and Australia, this apparently is not on the cards.

"We see the PlayStation 3 as a computer entertainment system that will have different skews or different product offerings where relevant," said Adrian Christie at Sony SCE down under.
Advertisement
Makes a lot of sense

"The announcement is only relevant to Korea at this point and doesn't bear a rating here but they identify a need for the application there," he said.

This would certainly make a lot of sense. Replacing the current 60GB model in Europe and Australia with an 80GB one would not be much of a step up at all. Although it's more likely that it might get released in the USA and/or Japan where they have a 20GB model as well as the 60GB one. A higher capacity PS3 would fit nicely into that range, and could easily replace the 20GB model.

It was back in March, in fact, that an 80GB PS3 was passed through the FCC; Sony had to file for approval of a new Bluetooth module which let the cat out of the bag.

Still though, with the Xbox 360 Elite having already launched Stateside with a 120GB hard disc, it seems unthinkable that Sony would refurnish its PS3 with an inferior 80GB one. It's more likely that an updated console would at least match or supersede the new Xbox.

trinitys_mate
09-07-2007, 07:14 PM
here is an annoncement on an american launch

? UPDATE: Official announcement for 80GB and price cut!?by?ComNetSlash (http://www.comnetslash.com/2007/07/09/ps3-update-official-announcement-for-80gb-and-price-cut/)

DessertDog
12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Saw the 80gig ps3 in currys today for sale.

trinitys_mate
13-07-2007, 04:09 PM
bloody hell that didnt take em long did it.

DessertDog
13-07-2007, 06:57 PM
lol One was connected to a 50inch Plasma and i must say it was running a demo of tennis and i was very impressed with the quality.The animation looked very very good.

surfer1278
14-07-2007, 07:05 PM
tbh - what more than the standard 60gb will it give - not a lot for normal use... they should concentrate on getting some decent games out as I rarely use mine for anything other than bluray movies at the moment - my 360 gets much more use for games :-)

kevdoc06
03-10-2007, 12:53 AM
i have a 120gb ps3. got a ps3 60gb as a present and bought a 2.5" 120gb sata2 HDD. these are easy enough to put in the ps3. all you do is switch them round its very easy to do and doesn't even void the warranty on them. in fact Sony actually give you instructions on how to remove the hdd in the manual so check it out. 120gb is the highest available at the min. make sure its a 2.5" sata2 drive or it wont fit. i got mine for under 60quid which was good. i have attached a tutorial for those of u who might be interested in doing this upgrade.