PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to get caught?

jimmeh
19-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I've just discovered this place, and before I begin I just want to know one thing - How, ahem, easy is it to get caught by an ISP or other agency when accessing there services in a questionable way?

Thanks,

-Jimmeh

has786
19-06-2006, 04:41 PM
I really depends what you are doing. please remember the isp provides you with an ip address,etc

ldavey
19-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I have not heard of anyone being caught yet, but being the interent sends data aswell as recieving, and the fact NTL have to assign you an IP, I believe it is easier to get caught then some people think, if NTL really tried.... or maybe I am just too paranoid .... i am the sort of person where if something bad is going to happen it will happen to me first.....

Not trying to put you off in anyway - i have nothing against cloning for more speed but just don't do it myself.

Shipoftheline
19-06-2006, 06:15 PM
If your paying NTL for at least one thing I doubt they'd try anything even if they suspected

bhatti00
28-06-2006, 03:07 PM
yeah u can be clocked, as ip's provide network cluster information and addresses

SpyJoe
28-06-2006, 03:10 PM
If your paying NTL for at least one thing I doubt they'd try anything even if they suspected

Except if u were damaging their stuff, like uncapping speeds, etc...

crimbo
28-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Its only easy to get caught if your being stupid . Seeing as you posted and asked its fair to say your on the ball , checking before taking action :P so youll be fine

SpyJoe
28-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Its only easy to get caught if your being stupid . Seeing as you posted and asked its fair to say your on the ball , checking before taking action :P so youll be fine

Sometimes being stupid helps. For example if u get caught, u can always say an excuse like "I didn't know it was illegal"...

But since now u know that u can get caught for this, u have to think of another excuse, if u do get caught ofcourse...

dougsaunders
29-06-2006, 11:13 AM
The thing is if someone came round to your home asking if you were stealing cable ud first have to let them in first so they could prove it, and whos gonna do that??

xboxto
29-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Its just surely not worth it! I would recommend gettin a wireless usb antenna and using wifi instead! wardiving isn't exactly kosher but its safer than this method!

Qonquer
30-06-2006, 06:14 PM
It's possible for them to find you, however, it costs them. They know whereabouts you are but not exactly. They have to send an engineer out to literally track you down through the network and that's not easy to do and requires specific equipment. Far too many people use unsubbed modems so doing this for all would not be cost-effective. But as has previously been stated, NTL are not the cops, you have no obligation to let them into your home, and even if you did, the engineers are so bent, they'd probably try to sell you a better hacked modem than the one you have.

marsha
02-07-2006, 12:08 AM
been using tw modem a few modem and have had no problems at all
worth it after all

Griz
03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
you wont get cought been using mine for about 3 years now!

pau1200
07-07-2006, 06:00 PM
As allready stated dont set the cap on the modem too high, they monitor network traffic and if one month they clock really high usages they might go looking. ive been told if you switch the modem off when its not in use then your less likely to be caught, but i dont know anyone who has.

DJRAY
08-07-2006, 07:12 PM
All i can say mate is be sensible. Make sure that you have at least one legitimate service from your cc, (e.g. base tv pack) this can throw them off the scent, dont download silly amounts and just keep it to yourself. Your mate down the pub can easily give n*l a bell, and tell them what your upto.

BE SENSIBLE.

Good Luck

DJ

Diablo13
09-07-2006, 10:20 AM
As I understand it it's not illegal to receive all free to air transmissions so a replay box could be regarded as a Freeview box. To prove otherwise they would have to get you to switch it on and show them what you are watching. I for 1 would tell the requester to sod off unless they came back with a search warrant or something. It works similarly to tv cards for a pc.You cannot track a tv card and what channels it receives because it is a PC and not a television. These are tracked at point of sale and they are very sharp with retailers on this and they have to notify the authorities of any tv cards sold, just like selling a tv, because they cannot be tracked in the normal way. They can't knock on your door and not find a television but a warm PC and then charge you with not having a tv license, unless you are watching your favourite Neighbours or friends program at the time.v:)

snowy
12-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I know someone who was caught and now has a court case pending. Please be carefull. Ntl is very hot this days.

jumpinjo
12-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I know someone who was caught and now has a court case pending. Please be carefull. Ntl is very hot this days.

quite right to be on your toes m8 but TBH someone getting caught must be a right Fool.

Paul_Robson
12-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I believe you can get caught, so im told but, if you get a good cable modem and use the right prgorams then i also am lead to believe that you will NOT be detected uncapping your line speed.

snowy
12-07-2006, 09:15 PM
well he was grassed by his mates from the pub, jealously I suppose.

Paul542
18-07-2006, 11:27 AM
You probably think i am taking the mick getting all these free services for my friend, anyway i got him tv for free through a dbox2 i connected it back online outside the hosue at the telewest box, however more recently i have put a splitter on the box outside and now have connected a hacked modem 4mb firmware.

Anyway the only service he pay's for is Telephone he has had the cable box running for a while with no problems from telewest. However i connected the modem for the first time it was online but when on the internet i kept getting a error when trying to connect to a page say you do not have permission to access list or something and i think this was telewest? Also when this occurred his laptop rebooted?

I am think this modem business is a little risky and think he may get caught as paying for no services apart from phone. I personally think TV Ok modem taking it a bit to far. I think i will just tell him to pay for the internet as i have done it for a favour as he is a friend.

Whats your opinions? Ps. I aint no trader i have onlt done this a favour for a good friend. :)

jumpinjo
18-07-2006, 08:24 PM
m8 its either a signal prob or the mac is conflicting and needs changed..

he wont see anything from tw and they wont know he's using it.

Diablo13
18-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Paul542 I think because you connected your mate outside the house to the telewest box there is a good chance of him getting caught. You only need an engineer on routine maintenance to the box to discover it. I personally think he would be in very deep **** because not only is he stealing their services but it would be regarded as vandalism in the very least and if they felt like making an example of him maybe something even more serious.
As other people have said, at least if its in the house you have to let them in first, so they would need a good reason to enter. Your great mate might not think you have done him such a favour if he gets caught and could well drop you right in it as well. Not worth doing it THAT way for either of you I would have thought, far too risky. v:)

Paul542
19-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Paul542 I think because you connected your mate outside the house to the telewest box there is a good chance of him getting caught. You only need an engineer on routine maintenance to the box to discover it. I personally think he would be in very deep **** because not only is he stealing their services but it would be regarded as vandalism in the very least and if they felt like making an example of him maybe something even more serious.
As other people have said, at least if its in the house you have to let them in first, so they would need a good reason to enter. Your great mate might not think you have done him such a favour if he gets caught and could well drop you right in it as well. Not worth doing it THAT way for either of you I would have thought, far too risky. v:)

Cheers for your views, decided to remove cable modem and just leave the TV, when i say box i mean the brown box at side of his house :)

smegal100
31-07-2006, 02:36 PM
It's possible for them to find you, however, it costs them. They know whereabouts you are but not exactly. They have to send an engineer out to literally track you down through the network and that's not easy to do and requires specific equipment. Far too many people use unsubbed modems so doing this for all would not be cost-effective. But as has previously been stated, NTL are not the cops, you have no obligation to let them into your home, and even if you did, the engineers are so bent, they'd probably try to sell you a better hacked modem than the one you have.

hi in the small print in my tw contract it says you have to give there engineers access to maintain there equipment but if you get them at your door make up a excuse why thay cant come in write now ie you have got someone in cleaning your carpets but if you come back in 1 hour no problem you will be ok because you have not refused them access hope this helps

MONKey
02-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Cheers for your views, decided to remove cable modem and just leave the TV, when i say box i mean the brown box at side of his house :)

Don't bother removing the modem m8 you WILL be fine so long as you stick to the following rules:

1) Do NOT use an NTL e-mail addy. Two reasons for this 1 is that if you have ever subscibed to N*L then the e-mail addy they gave you is registered to your house on there systems. 2 is that if you are using their servers then they can legally trace the connection to it's location as they have all the info they need.

2) Keep within the limits. If your on a 1MB MAC using a 10MB config file then keep in mind that the person who's modem you have cloned is also using their modem, and a 1MB MAC can only download 'X' amount of information in a month even if swithced on 24/7.

3) If you have ever been subbed to N*L then before going onlince with a cloned modem change your NIC MAC slighty, last 4 digits will be enough, as your NIC MAC will also be registered on their systems. You can use SMAC to do this.

That's about it really, some first post eh? lol someone has obviously done this before........:wink:

sockdip
03-11-2006, 07:21 PM
The thing is if someone came round to your home asking if you were stealing cable ud first have to let them in first so they could prove it, and whos gonna do that??

Not enritely sure this is true mate. I dont think it works the same as if say you didn't have a TV license and the only way they can prove it is if they take a photo of you watching Corrie!

You are transmitting data to your ISP the whole time as well as recieving and the trick is to conduct your self in such a way that you never give them any reason to delve into your activity, such as cloning MACs from your own node.

And if the worst should happen and they do have reason to suspect you and then begin to monitor your activity or look into your usage history then you gotta be sure they infromation trail does not lead to you.

And this is the whole fabric of hacking and cloning, the practice of electronically "cloaking" yourself from the prying eyes of your ISP in the even they do decide to investigat your usage.

Any one expand futher on this or correct me? Please do...

Thanks, hope this helps...

plexo
04-11-2006, 12:49 AM
hi in the small print in my tw contract it says you have to give there engineers access to maintain there equipment but if you get them at your door make up a excuse why thay cant come in write now ie you have got someone in cleaning your carpets but if you come back in 1 hour no problem you will be ok because you have not refused them access hope this helps
lol i can just see the engineer sittin in his van beside your house waitin for the carpet cleaner to come out:errrr:
:troutslap:

digitaldl
05-11-2006, 07:32 PM

I wouldnt worry about it being "discovered" that your house was connected in the pit. A lot of houses are still connected in the pits even though they dont suscribe to telewest anymore. When someone cancels their services sometimes no one goes out to disconnect it, other times if an engineer dosnt have a tracer they`ll just connect every cable up to get the signal in the house there installing it in. Theres so many reasons a house could be connected even though their not still suscribed to telewest that an engineer would not give it a second thought.

And before you wonder this is the voice of experience! :thumbup:

plexo
05-11-2006, 10:14 PM

took them an hour to actually figure out some **** had disconnected my cable from the green box, dont think they wud be lookin for ones that are actually connected ;)

nexatron
14-11-2006, 09:12 PM
In theory it is possible, though in practice this is only really heard of if you're foolish enough to boast of your acomplishments up the pub - loose lips sink ships, so to speak.

Precautions you can take include changing modem & NIC macs on a weekly basis.

tunit
11-12-2006, 03:49 PM
is it safe to use tw usenet servers

tunit
11-12-2006, 03:50 PM
if anyone did knock the door u dont have to give an excuse u just say sorry it is very inconvenient right now and to make an appointment or tell them when its is convenient

DessertDog
11-12-2006, 03:55 PM
if anyone did knock the door u dont have to give an excuse u just say sorry it is very inconvenient right now and to make an appointment or tell them when its is convenient
Not if they have a search warrant you cannot stop them comming in and i have known that to happen before but he was a plonker he touched the green box outside and some one saw him and reported it a month later he had a knock knock,Morall of the story if you play with fire expect to get burnt

snakeghamer
11-12-2006, 06:56 PM
These are my thoughts:

Firstly Think anout how you think you might get traced, any links between your legit account and your hacked account can be a way to trace you, therefore SMAC NIC addys, Do not access any of their services through hackled modem, IE Smtp, FTP, etc.

Also I reccomend changing your modems mac_id on a regular basis (I rotate through a list so I get a different one every 100 mins usually), Imagine them trying to trace your mac id (The cloned one) and then losing it instantly, They only get 100 mins with mine (Usually as long as I am running my mac changer).

As a precaution I also change my SMAC NIC every week or so, Just in case (There is not an automated program to do this, someone should contact the makers of SMAC to get program to generate random Macs on a regular basis).

Perfectionist
15-12-2006, 05:52 PM
With Telecoms getting so cheap nowadays ..... why bother ?

TalkTalk.co.uk (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. only ?20 a month for 8Mb Broadband and Telephone including all calls (even international!) :)

Diablo13
15-12-2006, 08:00 PM
With Telecoms getting so cheap nowadays ..... why bother ?

TalkTalk.co.uk (http://TalkTalk.co.uk) .... only ?20 a month for 8Mb Broadband and Telephone including all calls (even international!) :)
Are you actually on talk Talk then? There was a news report a few weeks ago blaming them for awful service, no backup help, installations taking months, capped speeds etc. Their managing director even said they could not keep up with demand. People believe the ads and sign up for UP TO 8mb broadband and the UP TO comes in at 1 or 2mb. No point in having it at all if its not reliable.
Now that Richard Branson has bought NTHell they are supposed to be giving a 20mb broadband service and video streaming early next year. Now thats what I call a decent speed and is more inline with the continent who have had those speeds and more for ages. They pay less than us as well.:-?

DessertDog
15-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Talk Talk is crap they limit your downloads and if you connect to some certain sites you keep getting disconnected they have been talked about on here many times my advise would be to stay well clear of them. take it or leave it thats any ones choice

digi666
22-01-2007, 01:57 PM
i agree talk talk is useless have been using it for a few months now and have never had a connection for longer than 2 hours!

Cableguy69
22-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I really depends what you are doing. please remember the isp provides you with an ip address,etc

It basically is'nt that hard for them to do, but it cost's them money to send out an engineer to your cab, and they also need you to be online at the time. They also need to warn every legit subscriber that their service will be disconnected for a short period of time while they individually disconnect cables from the cab while somebody in the office waits for your IP to drop off the system if they don't warn legit customers they're going to do this, they're breaking the law making any case against a cloner who pays min subs useless. Moral of the story, always pay min subs......