PDA

View Full Version : Configuring Ubuntu

icemanv3
29-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi all real quick question I hope

http://world-of-digital.com/forums/f139/tip-ubuntu-via-vmware-9644.html

Is all of the information in there still correct, or should I be doing anything else to setup linux for compiling?

Cheers

icey

Collider
29-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Should be ok mate as renwich knows what hes on about,if in doubt just pm him

icemanv3
29-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Ok got unbuntu running

compiling latest image now, without any diffs, just to test.

My n00bish question is, what do I do with the diff file speedy posted recently once I have downloaded it? How do I actually apply those patches?

I then take it once that is done I have to find all the .so modules and place them in the image so that all the menus work? Or does that diff file do all that for u?

Sorry for all these questions just trying to learn :)

nitr8
29-04-2007, 07:17 PM
i was working on a how-to let me dig it up, its under dev but better than naught. I will complete it this week.

tut for setting up ubuntu server - ubuntu CVS Server for DUMMIES (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. nice tut for image building - Tuxbox Newmake for DUMMIES (http://www.team-commando.co.uk/newmake/)

--me

Speedy2206
29-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Tut for setting up ubuntu server
First thing I spotted m8 was the link: VMware Server - To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. should point to vmware.com rather than the icon ;)

nitr8
29-04-2007, 07:22 PM
dont know what you talking about :p are you on meath or something? it looks perfect to me!

HAHA fixed cheers :)

--me

icemanv3
29-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Ok firstly thanks very much for that nitr8, much appreciated :)
Slowly starting to understand everything after reading several posts.
However I tried patching image with speedys mega_clean.diff file and I got the following error message, any chance you could point out where im going wrong?

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/tuxbox-cvs/cdk$ patch -p1 < mega_clean.diff
can't find file to patch at input line 4
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -ur mega-orig/apps/dvb/config/cables.xml new-mega/apps/dvb/config/cables.xml
|--- mega-orig/apps/dvb/config/cables.xml 2007-04-24 21:53:31.000000000 +0100
|+++ new-mega/apps/dvb/config/cables.xml 2007-04-24 21:53:11.000000000 +0100
--------------------------
File to patch:

Thanks

Speedy2206
29-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Easy one to fix :)
You are in the tuxbox-cvs/cdk directory.
You should be in just the tuxbox-cvs directory only when issuing the command.

If you want to do it from the cdk directory like you have done above, just change the command to:
patch -p2 < mega_clean.diff

.. and it'll all work successfully :)

icemanv3
29-04-2007, 08:58 PM
whooops silly mistake :D

Cheers mate for the quick reply :)

Although you say if you are in the cdk dir then change the command to the following. However that doesnt look any different to the one I used?

I take it once that the image is built I can then flash it to the box, and then start to copy over all the necessary plugins, and ucodes via ftp?

I'll look at building those into a build script once I'm a bit more familiar with things.

Speedy2206
29-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Sorry mate it was supposed to read -p2
Now updated post :)

Yes, once the image is built you'll find it in the /cdkflash directory, and it'll be called something like:

neutrino_jffs2_1x.img
neutrino_squashfs_jffs2_1x.img
etc etc