PDA

View Full Version : re-install probs

Magnu420
21-04-2007, 07:05 PM
hi ive just reformated the missis laptop with a legit xp pro disc and key
all went well but it hasent formated all of the hdd only a partition (c drive)
but it loads up ok but i looked in the devise manager and it said a Q mark summat about software modem and vga card do i need to find the drivers for these or are they on the disc its the first time ive reformated anything thats why im a bit clueless,gonna have another do after but do all the hdd

any ideas where i gone wrong
thanks

fergalsworld
21-04-2007, 07:27 PM
If the hdd has been partitioned ie you have a C:/and D:/
you will have to delete both partitions then create 1 partition with the default max size.
It should give you this option when you boot from the xp disc then format C:/ then install xp back on.

But saying that i would leave it partitioned then install xp on to C:/ then you can keep all your files,movies etc on D:/
then if windows ever goes belly up you can just reinstall it on C:/ and your files,movies etc will be still on D:/

y2krog2000
21-04-2007, 07:32 PM
You will need to install the drivers you should get them from the website of the manufacturers of your laptop.

Magnu420
21-04-2007, 09:23 PM
If the hdd has been partitioned ie you have a C:/and D:/
you will have to delete both partitions then create 1 partition with the default max size.
It should give you this option when you boot from the xp disc then format C:/ then install xp back on.

But saying that i would leave it partitioned then install xp on to C:/ then you can keep all your files,movies etc on D:/
then if windows ever goes belly up you can just reinstall it on C:/ and your files,movies etc will be still on D:/
yeah it does say c:/drive and D:/driveon the D:/drive i noticed it has toshiba
drivers btw thats the laptop aswell its got all the drivers for this lappy ok im gonna have a go again and put it on the C:/drive will let you know how i go on

the two partitioned drives C:/ has about 4 gig left and the D:/drive has about 6 gig left the total hdd is about 20 gig
do you think i should partition it

mickyrobbo
21-04-2007, 11:37 PM
yeah it does say c:/drive and D:/driveon the D:/drive i noticed it has toshiba
drivers btw thats the laptop aswell its got all the drivers for this lappy ok im gonna have a go again and put it on the C:/drive will let you know how i go on
the two partitioned drives C:/ has about 4 gig left and the D:/drive has about 6 gig left the total hdd is about 20 gig
do you think i should partition it
Well m8 its not that big and you will find that it will severly slow her system down it might work fine now but when she starts to use the lappy it will be really slow,what you can do and it will work the same is get her an external hdd and do all your storing on it and just use the 20gig to run your system to its full cappacity,,,you can pick them up really cheap and you dont have to worry about it crashing on you or losing anything,, as think of it as one big filing cabinet,

Magnu420
22-04-2007, 02:50 AM
ok guys managed to delete the other partition formated the c drive to nfts got the os on updating like mad (didnt know it would take nearly 10 meg to install the os) i looked in the devise manager there was still two yellow Q marks about the modem software and video controllers downloaded the software modem installed it and the video controllers are showing up blank on tosh site other then that it working well should i need to bother about these errors also ive noticed when you scroll down a page its a bit jerky not smooth scrolling

thanks

btw the laptop is only for surfing and a few word documents nothing major

y2krog2000
22-04-2007, 03:26 AM
You will still need to install the drivers again post the make and model of your laptop and hopefully someone will know where to get the drivers you need.:Hammer:

Magnu420
22-04-2007, 03:56 AM
the make and model is toshiba p2ooo portege notebook ive looked on their
site only found modem driver not software modem and video controllers
but i did do a back up of the other drive before i deleted it so im going to look in there

y2krog2000
22-04-2007, 04:02 AM
you should get your drivers here Toshiba Support - Content List (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?moid=151794&ct=DL&BV_SessionID=@@@@1771124612.1177210790@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddkkdhmkilcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0)

Magnu420
22-04-2007, 05:43 AM
downloaded the latest drivers for xp pro installed them rebooted lappy looked in devise manager still same so ive un install the video controller and software modem rebooted and windows found the video controller but not the software modem,ive look in the properties for it and it says devises type...other devises,manufaturer...unknown,location on ali audio accelerator wdm driver. could this be the problem also in properties on the resources tab it says software modem I/O range... ? IRQ.....11

thanks

y2krog2000
22-04-2007, 11:43 AM
There are 2 pages of downloads on the next page there is software modem drivers for windows 2000 and there is a different one for xp.

Magnu420
22-04-2007, 11:28 PM
yeah ive tried them all modem drivers and its still same but the
laptop seems ok so il see how i go on

fergalsworld
22-04-2007, 11:52 PM
yeah ive tried them all modem drivers and its still same but the
laptop seems ok so il see how i go on
You dont need the modem drivers mag's its only for the internal 56k modem which you dont use anyway.