PDA

View Full Version : NTL Ambit 120 Hack

jimbohoho
18-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Hi.
Struggling to hack my 120 modem, clone the mac address, and I have seen some links/attachmenets I cant access here till I made ten posts so I might aswell start.
Made my serial lead, hooked it up etc, got hyperterminal running but cant seem to halt the boot process as per Tutorials instructions, any tips?
Is this something I cant avoid due to a Firmware Upgrade from NTL side on my modem?
Thanks guys
BTW, also I seen a 200 modem with some Sigma firmware on it from my friend once, and wondered if that was just standard sigma, or a hacked version especially for Ambit modems?

Crayz
18-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Hello buddy i too have a n*l Ambit 120 modem and to be honest with you its far too much trouble to do. Also i wouldnt mess with the modem they supplied to you. I would buy a sb4100i or sb4100e depending on your area as they are much easier to modify and far less hassel you dont even have to open the case :)

wanna
21-06-2006, 11:37 AM
i know this might be the wrong section to post in but i am stuck on putting mac address in the ambit 200 , there is no keyboard action i have checked my max 232 cable everything is fine but can not press 1,2 , or p please if any body can help i would appreciate it thanks in advance

bhatti00
28-06-2006, 03:04 PM
^ u can type even though u cant see exactly what u type on screen
it will still accept the commands if u do it correctly

wanna
28-06-2006, 05:49 PM
yo bhatti i have actually tried all this i can see everthing scrolling i can not press any keys

theenhancer
14-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I also made up a lead from the diagram in modemtutorial.doc but when connected to the Ambit 200 i do not get any thing, no modem information in hyperterminal when it boots. I have checked and re-done the lead yet still won't have it.

Anyone have any ideas on this and if anyone can confirm that the modemtutorial.doc does work. I am using the MAX233 converter as per the instructions using WinXP on COM1. Woundering if the MAX233 is faulty?

vasehedar
14-07-2006, 09:12 PM
dunno if you are aware, the nice ppl at N*: have made it impossible to change mac on the N*l modems unless u solder mod it. So ur best bet is a motorola modem

jimbohoho
15-07-2006, 07:38 PM
dunno if you are aware, the nice ppl at N*: have made it impossible to change mac on the N*l modems unless u solder mod it. So ur best bet is a motorola modem

Not true, I have done 4 ambit 200s now, they are the only ones that work now, no soldering needed, just a good max233 serial lead,

Anyone who doesnt get a chance to enter 1,2 or p, you must not be doing it quick enough or I dont have a clue what the problem is, if you can see the text in hyperterminal then you should be able to press P, dont press 1 or 2 or anything just P, because you need to either downgrade or change the firmware on most 200s before changing the mac address,

I have done it now on 4 modems, all the same, plug in my serial cable, boot up modem, nearly the EXACT same time I plug in my power cable I press 'P' and I am then given option to change board IP address, mac address tftp etc etc, and the next boot menu is a list of options to do with booting, rebooting, downloading firmware (from the tftp server you changed your computer too and specified on the moideom just a minute before) and the rest is pretty straight forward,

If your stuck on Leads or Hyperterminal then theres no point explaining the rest, but if you can press 'P' and come here and ask me what the answer to the first option you come up on hyperterminal with I can help some more

vasehedar
15-07-2006, 10:07 PM
So they haven't changed the ambit 200 mdoem settings....

When the shinanagan began, rumour were that N*: wereg gonna eventually make it impossible to enter mac in hyeprtermianl for all ambit modem.
Coz at the time only ambit 200 were able to enter mac

U713
13-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Not true, I have done 4 ambit 200s now, they are the only ones that work now, no soldering needed, just a good max233 serial lead,
Anyone who doesnt get a chance to enter 1,2 or p, you must not be doing it quick enough or I dont have a clue what the problem is, if you can see the text in hyperterminal then you should be able to press P, dont press 1 or 2 or anything just P, because you need to either downgrade or change the firmware on most 200s before changing the mac address,
I have done it now on 4 modems, all the same, plug in my serial cable, boot up modem, nearly the EXACT same time I plug in my power cable I press 'P' and I am then given option to change board IP address, mac address tftp etc etc, and the next boot menu is a list of options to do with booting, rebooting, downloading firmware (from the tftp server you changed your computer too and specified on the moideom just a minute before) and the rest is pretty straight forward,
If your stuck on Leads or Hyperterminal then theres no point explaining the rest, but if you can press 'P' and come here and ask me what the answer to the first option you come up on hyperterminal with I can help some more

yeah i think your right m8 sometimes if the firmware is upgraded it stops you accessing the hyperterminal menu an typin etc try access your modem page via explorer by trpin 192.168.100.1 login wit "root" for both and if theres a big nthell logo in there your modems firmware has been upgraded.
to try rectify the problem try downgradin the firmware via the Haynes manual tutorial with the "image1.bin" once complete file this should allow you access to the hyperterminal menu again

hope this helps > ps sorry was thinking it was 200 my bad