PDA

View Full Version : [DIFFS] Make free calls to landlines from DBOX2

Speedy2206
18-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Kiwifone Addon by Speedy2206

Kiwifone is a service that allows anyone (unregistered users!) to make a FREE 3 minute phonecall (180 seconds) to any landline number. You don't need to buy additional handsets or special equipment - it uses your existing landline number and handset.

I have simply followed the HTML code that initiates this call, and put it into the neutrino interface. Basically you put in your OWN number, and the number you want to CALL. Your phone then rings, and a welcome message is heard. THEIR phone then rings, and the two of you are connected for 3 minutes.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. When the 3 minutes are up you can immediately redial and re-initiate the connection for a further 3 minutes if you wish to do so. This addon obviously requires internet access to make the initial connection.

From the readme file:

Kiwifone web-actived telephony plugin for the DBOX2
Version 0.1 (Alpha)

- Service provided by Kiwifone.com - visit website for details
- Any user gets FREE calls (up to 3 minutes) without registering
- Only works for landline numbers, no mobiles
- DBOX requires an active connection to the internet

USING THE DIFFS/SOURCE:
- Tested against CVS dated 17th April 2007
- Patched against clean CVS, with no additional mods applied
- SHOULD work with UKCVS diffs, but may need Makefile.am edit
- Needs manual edit in neutrino.cpp for menu entry:

mainMenu.addItem(new CMenuForwarder(LOCALE_KIWIFONE_HEAD, true, NULL, new UberNinja_Kiwifone(), NULL));

USING COMPILED VERSION:
- Recommended that you try it on a JFFS2 image only
- Copy english.locale to /share/tuxbox/neutrino/locale (overwrite)
- Copy neutrino to /tmp and CHMOD 755.
- Via telnet, run "killall -9 start_neutrino"
- Via telnet, run "killall -9 neutrino"
- Via telnet, run "/tmp/neutrino &"
- After testing, reboot box to return to your original image.

IN ACTION:
- Hit the blue button to display the plugins menu
- Enter 'Free UK Call'
- Input your own landline number
- Input the destination number
- Hit 'Make Call Now'
- Your own landline will ring first, and a message will be heard
- The destination number will ring, and you'll be connected
- After 3 minutes, the call will cut off.
- You can ring the number back immediately if you wish.

NOTE: You really do need to read the readme file as it tells you that you need to manually add a line to neutrino.cpp in order to create the menu link.

pt-1
18-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Hi Speedy

THX as usual for this find !

I shared it here dbox2 / linux :: Thema anzeigen - [Telephon Plugin] Kostenlose Anrufe via DBox ->Kein Scher (http://tuxbox-forum.dreambox-fan.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330573#330573)

How about a txt file somewhere in /var that is read by the Diff so you could include a kind of speeddial for friends ?

10 Numbers or so ;-)

QUESTION: Have you tested this ..? I just tried for fun calling from the uk to germany and got called but the other number was not rung and I was told that this is a demonstration only

PT-1

Speedy2206
18-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi Speedy
THX as usual for this find !
I shared it here dbox2 / linux :: Thema anzeigen - [Telephon Plugin] Kostenlose Anrufe via DBox ->Kein Scher (http://tuxbox-forum.dreambox-fan.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330573#330573)
How about a txt file somewhere in /var that is read by the Diff so you could include a kind of speeddial for friends ?
10 Numbers or so ;-)
QUESTION: Have you tested this ..? I just tried for fun calling from the uk to germany and got called but the other number was not rung and I was told that this is a demonstration only
PT-1

I've fixed the country code to +44 for United Kingdom. A later version could have an option to change the country code as well as set a default area code maybe?

Speed-dial/Phone Book function sounds cool :)

Speedy2206
18-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Hmm actually maybe the country code doesnt make that much difference. I tested it yesterday and it dialled both phones as normal; but the code is very buggy and tempermental (hence the "alpha"). A tuxbox guy could definately improve the code within seconds to give proper results.

I'll try again whe nI get home later tonight.
Liam

Speedy2206
18-04-2007, 01:36 PM
OK just got home to test this and yup your right, it only dials the one phone. Looks like they've added a bit of new javascript to their code so I'll have to play around with it for a bit.

Typical that as soon as I upload it they decide to alter the structure!

Speedy2206
18-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Update: the addon still works with the new javascript. It seems that their own system is down as this was working 100% last night and now doesnt even work using the official website. I think its just a matter of time until they fix the system themselves ;)

nitr8
18-04-2007, 02:19 PM
thank fook for that, this is now included in c8 :)

speedy just a quick look @ there site shows you can have an account. So i created an account and i see you can buy credit etc. any idea if we gonna go that far and integrate that deep not just a free 3 min call?

--me

P.S. if you wanna chat you know where to find me.

Speedy2206
18-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I was going to integrate the registration but that is a little harder to deal with. I guess it would be ideal as you can then have 'unlimited' free calling to landlines (supposedly anyway, I havent read the full terms and conditions).

By the way, it seems that there is a 10 free call limit per day per IP address if you're unregistered. Using a proxy gets around that issue tho ;)