PDA

View Full Version : [dev] Tuxbox NewMake for DUMMIES

nitr8
17-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Folks,

Please see a document i started here:

Tuxbox Newmake for DUMMIES (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. If you have any comments or updates could you post them here and once reviewed buy you guys i will convert it to pdf and we can make it public.

thanks to scruff1963 and renwich for the initial review.

--me

berley
17-04-2007, 12:11 PM
could it not be renamed Tuxbox NewMake for beginners ?

just a suggestion :)

nitr8
17-04-2007, 12:47 PM
could it not be renamed Tuxbox NewMake for beginners ?

just a suggestion :)

nope its for dummies.

--me

nj2006
17-04-2007, 04:49 PM
nice work m8. thanks for the time and effort.

one problem i didnt get my free dummy. :withstupid:

scruff1963
17-04-2007, 05:40 PM
nice one

some of the configure options i never knew.

for dummies is normal for computer tutorials and not meant nasty berley, look in smiths and there is a shelf full of for dummies book, it's a way of saying even someone with no knowledge can do it without getting bogged down with the technicalitys.

Satsearching
27-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Sorry for bringing up an old post, but it appears the hosting site is down, could anyone please upload the guide below and "ubuntu cvs server for DUMMIES" to somewhere like y******** if you have coppies.

Many Thanks

Folks,
Please see a document i started here:
Tuxbox Newmake for DUMMIES (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. If you have any comments or updates could you post them here and once reviewed buy you guys i will convert it to pdf and we can make it public.
thanks to scruff1963 and renwich for the initial review.
--me

renwich
27-10-2007, 07:44 PM
its there now , musta been a hosting issue with thier site

ozbodd
25-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Looks a good guide Nitr8 but I think I have a few ultra dummy questions first

How do you make diff files?

How to make a neutrino

I am going to give it a try but starting from a very low base...

ozbodd
25-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I have downloaded the CVS as per the instructions - ;)

I see now how I can edit the source but still do not know how to produce a diff file and then a neutrino - Help appreciated.

ozbodd
02-02-2008, 03:34 PM
@Nitr8

Starting agin to download the CVS and did the 3 commands from th eDummies guide but the second command keeps getting the following error..

y@y-desktop:~/tuxbox/tuxbox-cvs/cdk$ cvs -z3 -d To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. :/cvs/tuxbox co -R newmake -P cdk/newmake.files
cvs: WARNING: Read-only repository access mode selected via `cvs -R'.
Using this option to access a repository which some users write to may
cause intermittent sandbox corruption.
cvs server: cannot find module `newmake' - ignored
cvs server: cannot find module `-P' - ignored
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

The third command appears to still work - Are there any implications in this - bear in mind I still don't really get the principls of this process, just know how to messs with the code at the end...

I am also getting an error when configuring about the switch --enable-maintainer-mode not being recognised. I can compile without it.

Can I work on that compiled CVS? Or is it corrupt?

renwich
02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Heres my basic commands

to build

cd ~/tuxbox/tuxbox-cvs

cvs -d To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. :/cvs/tuxbox -z3 co -f -r newmake -P .

cd cdk
./autogen.sh

./configure --prefix=/home/commando/tuxbox/dbox2 --with-cvsdir=/home/commando/tuxbox/tuxbox-cvs --with-customizationsdir=/home/commando/tuxbox/private/locals --with-ucodesdir=/home/commando/tuxbox/private/ucodes --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-cdkVcInfo --enable-ide --with-checkImage=warn --with-defaultlocale=english --enable-upnp

rm ~/tuxbox/tuxbox-cvs/Archive

ln -s ~/tuxbox/Archive ./Archive

make flash-neutrino-jffs2-all

FastJack42
30-05-2009, 12:26 AM
newmake is now in HEAD so you can leave the "-r newmake" option to cvs out.
BTW, you can also get the sources via git from seife - Gitorious (http://gitorious.org/~seife/)