PDA

View Full Version : Gunman kills 31 at US university

Collider
16-04-2007, 10:10 PM
A gunman has gone on the rampage at the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia, US, killing at least 31 people and injuring another 10.

Police say there were two separate shooting incidents - at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a student dormitory, and Norris Hall, an engineering building.
Police say they believe there was one gunman and that he is dead.
After the deadliest shooting at a US school, President George W Bush said the US was "shocked and saddened".
"Schools should be places of safety and sanctuary and learning. When that sanctuary is violated, the impact is felt in every American classroom and every American community," he added.
The state university in the town of Blacksburg is home to 26,000 students.

Heres the link with video on BBC news website

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Gunman kills 31 at US university (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6560685.stm)

y2krog2000
16-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Sad news and im surprised that this could still happen in America after all the extra security they have at there schools these days, the columbine massacre anniversary is in 4 days.

berley
17-04-2007, 12:41 PM
really heartbreaking news, and all so young as well, you would have thought the security would have been watertight after the columbine massacre, but sadly it seems not

hopefully there will be big changes to ensure this thing doesn't happen again, but i fear it would be almost impossible to prevent if its a crazy student on the loose

Collider
17-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Just makes me think that this right to hold arms policy in america is a load of bo**ox and something should be done about it sooner rather than later.

y2krog2000
17-04-2007, 08:32 PM
I was watching a program on an American tv channel earlier thats about Americans whos lives have been saved by shooting muggers, rapists, robbers and car jackers and have to say that I think that its ok to have a gun to protect yourself but the American government need to be far more careful who they give gun licences out to. This program is on a couple of times a week and on todays show there must have been a few lives that were saved because the people had the weapons to protect themselves.

AFZAL2005
18-04-2007, 11:04 AM
such a tragedy and pointless loss of life is saddening. Bowling for Columbine is a good documentory about this issue, the gun companies need to be held accountable. I disagree that a gun can help you protect yourself as for example a Mugger in the U.k is at best going to to use a knife as he will believe it is sufficiently threatening, but if everyday citezens were carrying guns a mugger would need a gun to commit his crime! which is why i am proud to be brittish and am very happy with there laws and stance on firearms.

y2krog2000
18-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I disagree that a gun can help you protect yourself as for example a Mugger in the U.k is at best going to use a knife
Have you ever watched crimewatch U.K. because people get murdered in the U.K. all the time, sometimes 20 people get murdered in London in a month!!! If robbers knew that someone might be carrying a gun then they would think again before robbing people but the American government will give guns to anyone.

AFZAL2005
20-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Have you ever watched crimewatch U.K. because people get murdered in the U.K. all the time, sometimes 20 people get murdered in London in a month!!! If robbers knew that someone might be carrying a gun then they would think again before robbing people but the American government will give guns to anyone.

an interestin point! but have you looked at the stats for gun crimes and deaths in the U.S? the fifth amendement is what leads kids to walk freely into school with guns because their parents keep them tucked away at home. Most the gun crime deaths in london are drug related, who now ask yourself why they are shooting at each other, its beccause they know their rival is carrying a firearm therefore they need a firearm too!(lets just say i have insight into this area) "If robbers knew that someone might be carrying a gun then they would think again before robbing people" yeah they would be thinking i need a gun to rob! and when 2 people with guns clash someone is going to die.