PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problem

TEZZA24
05-04-2007, 08:50 PM
My laptop is running really slowly lately. I've got loads of space left, not been downloading anything I shouldn't but its starting up time takes forever. Where should I look first?

jay
05-04-2007, 11:23 PM
there's lots of reasons for this, you could try the following

Delete all contents of \WINDOWS\Prefetch
go into START/RUN/MSCONFIG and diable none required apps from start-up, all of these programs are not required to run windows but you may not want to disable your firewall for example.lol

If your feeling frisky then enter CONTROL PANEL/Administrative Tools/EVENT VIEWER and check for problems in application and system

Depending on use, you should do a fresh install every year

seamouse
08-04-2007, 12:55 PM
download hijackthis and do a scan and see what is really starting up

macochaye
08-04-2007, 08:41 PM
hi Jay...I done what you suggested as I too am having problems with the laptop taking ages to load..and I found when going into Control Panel/admin tools/event viewer that I have loads of error messages.How do I find out what they mean???.Any help would be appreciated

dx100-uk
09-04-2007, 01:24 AM
my first thoughs would be to goto the panda on line scanner site & run that.
mkae sure you have no nasties running. if you do get alerts, then post the report back on here.

then download Ccleaner and run that.

there are lots of reasons why it could be slow.

but thats a start.

dx100uk:goodnight:

ohdear
09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
I had the same problem with my lappy, I did the online scan and nothing untowards there.
Then I installed regcure which cured the problem, did a few fixes and optimized my lappy, works a treat.

If you want the regcure send me an addy, I will send it you.....

Jayne.

jay
09-04-2007, 08:35 PM
hi Jay...I done what you suggested as I too am having problems with the laptop taking ages to load..and I found when going into Control Panel/admin tools/event viewer that I have loads of error messages.How do I find out what they mean???.Any help would be appreciated

Unfortunately there is no easy way, you just have to go through them, below is one of mine from today
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 07/04/2007
Time: 21:15:30
User: N/A
Computer: MEDIA-JAY
Description:
Faulting application lbtwiz.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module bt2k_ins.dll, version 3.0.1.913, fault address 0x00004b8c.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

After entering lbtwiz.exe into google it turns out to be my logitech bluetooth.

I generally only concern myself with "system hang" as a fault

The long and the short of it is(IMO)
Re-install xp every year
Install latest drivers for components your having problems with
Disable none essencial apps in MSCONFIG/STARTUP
Defragment monthly
Scans at-least weekly (depending on use)

A pc dosen't have many moving parts but fans and Harddisks do get old. If your pc runs hot or your HDD/fans are noisey then consult an expert ;)

Hope this helps

Geo
15-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Update Antivirus do a Virus Scan , Do a Adaware scan this should speed things up when your computer is free of Viruses adaware + spyware it should be running on all four cilinders ;o)

Shipoftheline
16-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Only Jay mentioned defragging the hard drive, I take it you do this ? You'd be surprised how many people don't even know what this is

bbr81
19-04-2007, 12:52 AM
How about a clean install and u can start fresh