PDA

View Full Version : Scotland fav word?? Numpty... :)

nss1888
03-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Shut it ya numpty.. is a fine phrase..

Other areas chose such words as "love" "hope" and "family".. FFS... shut it ya bunch o walopers/numpties/dawbers.... :D

full article HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6520353.stm)

Or below....

'Numpty' voted nation's best word

Scotland's favourite word is "numpty", according to a survey conducted for a children's charity.
The nickname for an idiot beat more politically correct entries such as "love", "hope" and "family", which were more popular in other parts of the UK.

The list was compiled by BT Openreach, which asked 50,000 people to contribute a word worth a pound each to the charity I Can.

Other words winning Scotland's vote included "peelywally" and "scunnered".

People in Scotland said numpty was a great word to describe "general foolishness" and said it "could be used in many ways".

The nation's love of football was also reflected in the survey, with 'Hibernian' the most popular choice in the Lothians and 'Rangers' topping the league in Lanarkshire.

In the Highlands, Inverness Caledonian Thistle's finest footballing hour, a victory over Celtic at Parkhead, was commemorated with what may have been the longest entry of all - 'supercaleygoballisticcelticareatrocious'.

It seems that we're not just a romantic people - we're playful too

Professor David Crystal
Linguist

People across Britain took part in the online challenge to create a 'Wall of Words'.

By submitting more than 50,000 words, contributors triggered a ?50,000 donation to I Can, a charity which works to develop children's speech, language and communication skills.

'Love' appeared in the Wall more than 600 times, making it the UK's favourite word.

It proved particularly popular with women, who were five times more likely to opt for it than men.

British males voted 'antidisestablishmentarianism' their favourite word with 'onomatopoeia' also in their top 10.

Professor David Crystal, a linguist, said: "It's heart-warming to see that, despite all our daily pressures and worries, so many positive emotional words are turning up in this list.

"It seems that we're not just a romantic people - we're playful too."

wullboy
03-04-2007, 06:41 PM
wit pub didthey go inta, no mine, thats fur share??

y2krog2000
03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Its the most used word in Scotland because Scotland is full of numpties :roflmao: :snow1:

greenleper
03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
its got to be "buffty" surely:imnew:

nss1888
04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
wit pub didthey go inta, no mine, thats fur share??

I think they were trying to keep the expletives down to a minimum :)

y2krog2000: Its the most used word in Scotland because Scotland is full of numpties

Charmin... aye, what have the scots ever done for us... execpt the telly, fax machine, tarmac, phneumatic tyre, Scotch, penicillin, Water proof Macs, Marmalade, Paraffin, fountian pens, lime cordial, Bovril......

Bask in our NON-numtieness :star:

:p

greenleper
05-04-2007, 06:27 PM
and the tank:machinegun:

wullboy
05-04-2007, 07:28 PM
And football -- golf --

kryten77
05-04-2007, 07:33 PM
And various world famous "amber liquids".

y2krog2000
05-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Charmin... aye, what have the scots ever done for us... execpt the telly, fax machine, tarmac, phneumatic tyre, Scotch, penicillin, Water proof Macs, Marmalade, Paraffin, fountian pens, lime cordial, Bovril......

Aye nothin wrong with the Scots the girlfriend is one, anyways I thought the gypsies gave us the tarmac :roflmao: