PDA

View Full Version : directx advice please

tomboy1
01-04-2007, 08:23 PM
when i try to convert an avi file my converter software keeps telling me i dont have direct x installed on my pc ? and when i come on this website & other i keep seeing that x all over the site indicating that direct x is not installed in my pc any advice would be great many thanks ps but i do have directx installed on my pc & when i try to reinstall it it keeps saying you have directx already installed on your pc ?

dx100-uk
01-04-2007, 11:50 PM
what do you mean?.little red 'x' s everywhere say where symbols or grahics should be?

what ver of direct X do you have running?

sounds strange i know? but have you run a virus/trojan scan recently, there is a hi-jacking worm that does just this .

goto the panda on-line scanner site
and give your system a good scan.

dx100uk

tomboy1
02-04-2007, 09:36 PM
yes x where the grahics should be . I have direct x version 9 will do a virus check & let you know ok thanks like the icons at the botom of this page are just squars with little dots in them insted of faces

dx100-uk
02-04-2007, 11:30 PM
i think you have a few hi-jacking trojans in your internet cache atleast.
first port of call
turn off system restore
download and run Ccleaner
then do a panda scan.
what AV?
what Firewall?
what anti-spyware?

you running?

sounds like one of them is pooched.

dx100uk:sumo:

evilclive
03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
It sounds like you've got DirectX 9.0c installed, but the installed files have been corrupted. You need to remove the corrupted files somehow, before you reinstall a fresh copy.

Download DirectX Eradicator 2.0 - DirectX Eradicator - safely remove the DirectX runtime core component from Windows - Softpedia (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Be a little careful: DirectX removal can make a bigger mess if you screw it up. Back up your work if you can (i.e. if your CD/DVD writer still works), or wait for someone to peer-review the advice I'm giving here.

I'm assuming you've got at least a Voodoo 3 or NVidia TNT graphics card (roughly speaking, one with 16MB or more of video RAM). If not, it might not be compatible with DirectX 9.0c, and you should try installing DirectX 8.1 (which is still available on Microsoft's web site, as a download for Windows 95 users.)

mickyrobbo
03-04-2007, 11:28 PM
The above post is spot on ,,try loading a game disc with directx on it and see if it fixs it for you ,,have you tried to check your directx test set up ,,as this can repair it also,,

tomboy1
04-04-2007, 10:20 AM
hi went on panda free antivirus website it found a trojan but they want ?8 to remove it do you know the right site i can scan free & get it to remove the trojan for free ? thanks

evilclive
04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
hi went on panda free antivirus website it found a trojan but they want ?8 to remove it
Bloody cheek!

do you know the right site i can scan free & get it to remove the trojan for free ? thanks
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic - More than Security (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. AVG Free Advisor: Free anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware tools (http://free.grisoft.com/)
avast! antivirus software - computer virus, worm and Trojan protection by ALWIL Software (http://www.avast.com/)

tomboy1
04-04-2007, 11:30 AM
none of the above scanners found that trojan that panda found ?

little_pob
04-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Get the name of the trojan and google it, also add "remover" as a search paramiter. Some companies like Sophos and Symantec offer free stand alone removers for particularly nasty trojans.

evilclive
04-04-2007, 07:43 PM
none of the above scanners found that trojan that panda found ?

It's been a while since I used AntiVir, but you can go into the settings page, turn on expert mode, and you'll find an options page that allows you to detect and remove additional types of threat, including:

Spyware
Jokes
Unverified decompression programs

Try turning on all the options, and repeating the scan.

tomboy1
05-04-2007, 04:32 PM
done a rescan on pand;s website i never let it do a full scan as i stoped it before it finished the last time let it finish it this time & it says i have 7 hacker toolkits on my pc but wont give the name of them so still stuck any advice would be great thanks ps panda tells me that it is a roottype hacker but i have tried a few rootype scanners & they find nothing ??