PDA

View Full Version : fat 32 conversion

notanotherone
31-03-2007, 01:22 PM
am trying to convert an external 400 gig hard drive from fat 32 to ntfs ,going through cmd and convert J:/fs:ntfs and enter it comes back and says " the type of file is fat32 enter correct volume label for drive j: " i enter j and it says " an incorrect volume label was entered for this drive "

nobron
01-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Look here mate it may be of some assistance

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. How to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx)

dx100-uk
01-04-2007, 11:54 PM
J: is not the volume name, it is the drive letter!
look in widows explorer for the name by the drive letter
then enter that as well
but don't forget to unmount the drive first if ness

dx100uk

evilclive
04-04-2007, 04:00 AM
am trying to convert an external 400 gig hard drive from fat 32 to ntfs ,going through cmd and convert J:/fs:ntfs and enter it comes back and says " the type of file is fat32 enter correct volume label for drive j: " i enter j and it says " an incorrect volume label was entered for this drive "

You've just bought a new 400GB hard disk, which came pre-formatted in a single FAT32 partition, as all external disks are nowadays.

You're running Windows 2000 or XP, and you know that they don't like FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB.

If the disk is empty, try the following:

1. Right-click on My Computer, and select Manage.
2. Select Disk Management.
3. Right-click on the relevant partition, and select Format.
4. Select NTFS file system, Quick Format, and click OK.

If it's full of precious data, I'd suggest you back it up before trusting any FS conversion utility. Then you can either use Partition Magic, or the method above.

y2krog2000
04-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Dont know if this helps but I have an external enclosure and the wee book that came with it this is what the book says.

Partitioning the HDD
1. connect the enclosire to your pc, make sure the pc recognises the HDD.
2. Open *Control Panel*/*Manage Tool*/*Computer Management*, choose the new HDD, right mouse click and follow the steps.

I dont know if this would fix your problem because when when I set up my external hard drive I had to take the hard drive out and stick it in the computer as a slave to format it and then stuck it in the enclosure because I didnt bother to read this book. There is another bit in the book about driver instalation but it says that xp will have the drivers already.

evilclive
04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
If you're not using XP SP2, you need to enable LBA48 support before you can successfully use a drive larger than 128GB.

There's a simple tool to do this at 48bitLBA.com - HOME (http://www.48bitlba.com/)

Shipoftheline
04-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I think evilclive's suggestion is your best bet via the Computer Management

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2705/screenkb5.th.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenkb5.jpg)

callisto11
12-04-2007, 02:11 PM
am trying to convert an external 400 gig hard drive from fat 32 to ntfs ,going through cmd and convert J:/fs:ntfs "

You can get the volume name by typing "vol" at the command prompt
It will come back with something like :
Volume in drive C is System

Thus in this example the volume name is "System"

notanotherone
12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
would the voulume name be sea disc?thast what is goes under

callisto11
12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
would the voulume name be sea disc?thast what is goes under

yeah thats correct. You need to check again very carefully what the name is as I can't remember if spaces are allowed in a volume name. I suspect it may be more like SEA_DISC rather than sea disc

notanotherone
12-04-2007, 02:53 PM
yeah thats correct. You need to check again very carefully what the name is as I can't remember if spaces are allowed in a volume name. I suspect it may be more like SEA_DISC rather than sea disc
yep you could be rite ,do i need to do back up or can i just convert ?its got about 120 gig of stuff on it and dont know where to put it all it was only cause i couldnt download a 4 .5 gig dvd movies on it

notanotherone
14-04-2007, 02:56 PM

You've just bought a new 400GB hard disk, which came pre-formatted in a single FAT32 partition, as all external disks are nowadays.

You're running Windows 2000 or XP, and you know that they don't like FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB.

If the disk is empty, try the following:

1. Right-click on My Computer, and select Manage.
2. Select Disk Management.
3. Right-click on the relevant partition, and select Format.
4. Select NTFS file system, Quick Format, and click OK.

If it's full of precious data, I'd suggest you back it up before trusting any FS conversion utility. Then you can either use Partition Magic, or the method above.

You can get the volume name by typing "vol" at the command prompt
It will come back with something like :
Volume in drive C is System

Thus in this example the volume name is "System"
ok guys thaks for the help managed to get this sorted
it goes like this
run
cmd
convert j:/fs:ntfs (space betwen convert and j)
enter
then it comes up " the type of file is fat32 enter correct volume lable for drive j"
this is where i got confused it was staring me in the face the volume name is Sea_Disc (as its a seagate drive)stooooopid me
all i did was put that in and it went through a process and did it all for me i did back up all the files that where in there but didnt need to as it checked everything for me and all the files were intact when i went back in thanks to all who helped