PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft reveals Vista checklist

Wee Gordon
19-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Microsoft reveals Vista checklist

Microsoft has revealed how powerful computers must be to run Vista - the new version of its Windows operating system.

It has given advice on the basic specifications to run the software as well as the higher capabilities needed to get the most out of it.

Also available is a downloadable tool that lets people know if the PC they own now will run the system.

Microsoft has said that Vista will go on widespread release in January 2007.

Spec check

Vista, formerly known as Longhorn, is Microsoft's long awaited update to the Windows family of operating systems and makes some big changes to the way that the software works.

Typically every release of Windows kicks off a round of PC buying as companies and consumers buy machines that can make the most of the novel features included in the new version.

Microsoft has released "minimum" and "recommended" specifications for Vista. The minimum means that the operating system will run but some new features will be disabled. Recommended means that this is what is needed to get the most basic configuration of the whole package working.

For instance one of the big changes in Vista is the graphical look of the interface itself - dubbed Aero. In Vista the familiar boxes, windows and icons on the desktop are modelled as 3D objects - just like in many computer games.

VISTA VERSIONS
Vista Business
Vista Enterprise
Vista Home Basic
Vista Home Premium
Vista Ultimate
Vista Starter

Only those machines with a graphics card that has a significant amount of memory will be able to use this 3D display.

Other big changes in Vista include the way it handles sound and networking with other machines.

Microsoft has also prepared a Vista "Get Ready" website that can help people work out if their PC can run Vista unaltered; if they need to upgrade main memory or their graphics card, or if they need a whole new computer.

Also available is a software download called the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor that can check a PC and advise about the action needed to run the new version of Windows.

The situation is also complicated by the fact that Microsoft is set to release Vista in six separate versions. Three will be aimed at home users, two at companies and one for emerging markets.

Many PC makers are already selling machines that they label as "Vista ready".
There is no information yet about the abilities of Intel-based Apple Mac computers and whether they will be able to run Vista.

Shipoftheline
22-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Doesn't a new OS microsoft checklist involved buying a new PC because there operating system has to take up so much juice when the average joe on the street wants that juice for the apps/games

little_pob
22-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Taken from a couple of sources:

The minimum specs for Vista Capable machines are:

A modern processor (at least 800MHz).
512 MB of system memory.
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.
20GB HD

For machines that want more than a slide-show on their rig, the Premium-Ready specs are:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
1 GB of system memory.
A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero.
DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor, with 128 MB of graphics memory. (64MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels [no more than 1440x900]; 128MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels [no more than 1920x1200]; 256MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels [more than 1920x1200]).
40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
DVD-ROM Drive.
Audio output capability.
Internet access capability.

More information for users about the specs: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

Shipoftheline
22-05-2006, 05:17 PM
minimum so they can sell more but it will run like a bag of sh#te,

Here's an interesting read,

The Inquirer recently got the chance to play around with a Windows Vista machine, so, as any gamer would they tried out a game on it. That game was Farcry, a game that runs on this laptop which has a GeForce 6200 Go with 512 RAM. The Vista installation was clean, in other words it had only an Internet Explorer Window and the task manager on, yet, it was consuming 1.24GB of RAM.

Sure, you'll be able to run it with 1GB of RAM, but if FarCry takes this much, imagine more demanding games like Doom 3 or Quake 4.

http://forevergeek.com/images/vistafarcry.jpg

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Vista's memory/processor consumption is ridiculous for what it

source (http://forevergeek.com/windows/its_official_vista_gamers_will_need_2gb_of_ram.php )

little_pob
22-05-2006, 05:25 PM
The M$ minimum specs for windows are always vastly under stated (i.e. it always needs at least double what they quote to get any decent performance out of it).

I think i'll be sticking with xp for quite some time...

Shipoftheline
22-05-2006, 10:39 PM
The M$ minimum specs for windows are always vastly under stated (i.e. it always needs at least double what they quote to get any decent performance out of it).

I think i'll be sticking with xp for quite some time...Your telling me remember when they went from Windows Me to XP and those poor buggers with 128MB ended up with XP feck me XP needs at least 512 to run smooth lol (Win2k is okay with 256)

HellBlazer
22-05-2006, 10:52 PM
i wudnt invest in beta till all the bugs r fixed, wud wait for another year :)

Shipoftheline
22-05-2006, 10:54 PM
i wudnt invest in beta till all the bugs r fixed, wud wait for another year :)
Very good idea doesn't stop an OS needing all your resources though because thats M$