PDA

View Full Version : Good harddrive backup software?

Collider
28-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Need to get a program to backup my mates harddrive on his compaq,the software installed is pants and if he has to format it he wants to have a backup of windows and the harddrive so it dont take so long with his recovery software(takes hour and half normally).

Shipoftheline
28-03-2007, 08:43 AM
I tend to just copy the important files like IE favourites, Emails, flasfxp (sites file), my documents and burn them to dvd so its just a case of putting them all back after a fresh re-image

y2krog2000
28-03-2007, 08:46 AM
If he got recovery cds with his compaq saying restore supplimental software I would ditch them and download the newest drivers that he needs from the compaq/hp website and stick them on a cd, these discs are bundled with stuff that the computer dosnt even need so all he would need to do is install windows and install whatever drivers he needed from the hp website, the only driver I needed was the ethernet one. He should still be able to install microsoft word and the dvd software you got that are on the suplemental software cds.

Collider
28-03-2007, 08:51 AM
If he got recovery cds with his compaq saying restore supplimental software I would ditch them and download the newest drivers that he needs from the compaq/hp website and stick them on a cd, these discs are bundled with stuff that the computer dosnt even need so all he would need to do is install windows and install whatever drivers he needed from the hp website, the only driver I needed was the ethernet one. He should still be able to install microsoft word and the dvd software you got that are on the suplemental software cds.

He has got the drivers for ethernet etc but wants to burn his own dvd purely for the fact that it takes so long with the comaq recovery disc and he has had no end of problems,plus he dont stop phoning me to help lol.

Doesnt nortons have software to to this?

kryten77
28-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Heres the best rated ones mate

Data Backup Software Review 2007 (http://data-backup-software-review.toptenreviews.com/)

And check your PMs for a wee hint on how to get it ;)

Collider
28-03-2007, 08:56 AM
krytens the man :)

Acronis and Nortons look best bet as genie backup manager doesnt do a complete system backup,best i go buy it now :)

y2krog2000
28-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Doesnt nortons have software to to this?

Yea Norton does do it but I dont know if its any good, this is the website for the drivers if he does need it Specify product - HP Business Support Center (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductRoot.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&refresh=true)

biker1
21-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Acronis for me.

Paragons ok too.

Hitman
21-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Has he tried the files and settings transfer wizard built into windows xp

Start/all programs/accesories/system tools/files and settings transfer wizard.
you apparently can backup all the drivers and preferences and/or your files.

Never done it myself as im not sure if spyware or viruses can be transferred this way

Collider
22-06-2007, 03:40 PM
All done now,lazy sod got disc from manufacturer lol