PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a wireless network..

j16
24-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to networking and am trying to set up a wireless network.

Got my desktop wired to the router and the laptop gets the internet fine from the router but I want to be able to transfer files between my desktop and laptop.

I've done the wireless network wizard followed the steps for each computer and eveything but theres nothing in my network places on either. Do I need a wireless adapter for the desktop?!...I thought the router acted like one for the desktop?

Both computers are XP, one home one media edition.

Any help appreciated.

diversionsc
08-05-2007, 04:46 AM
Using "set up home network wizard" under "My network places" follow the wizard and when it gets to the "Work Group" Section make sure you name both the same, mines is set to "HOSTPC".

After this ensure you tick "File and printer sharing", this should allow you to see the PC when you go into control panel.

Also try clicking "View workgroup computers" and see if you can find your machines on there.

mattrider
08-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Then right click the file you want to share and click sharing and security

and then click share this folder on the network.

Then go to my network places and the folder should appear.

Declan
08-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Using "set up home network wizard" under "My network places" follow the wizard and when it gets to the "Work Group" Section make sure you name both the same, mines is set to "HOSTPC".
After this ensure you tick "File and printer sharing", this should allow you to see the PC when you go into control panel.
Also try clicking "View workgroup computers" and see if you can find your machines on there.
Be weiry (SP?) of this as if you do not have it set up correctly you leave your hard drive open for the world to see

I have my own network and to transfere files i just use 2 msn accounts, it works just as good and is really fast

diversionsc
08-05-2007, 08:09 PM
If the drive is formatted to NTFS then you've got permission security, the likely hood of people being able to see your drive over the internet is unlikely.

Esspicially if your going through a router and not forwarding appropriate ports.

The msn is a good idea, used that back when i first set up a a network. Since i started doing my networking degree i've found lots more differnt ways that just make it useless but with windows live you can set 2 accounts up and enable folder sharing for both ends which will pretty much do the same as sharing the folder.

If you are worried about the chance of it being accessed by others, just use the permissions settings for that share and set the user account of the pc you will be using to access it, including what permissions you wish to give (read and write).

Hitman
09-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Find out what your desktop ip is...ie 192.168.0.2.

On your laptop open internet or windows explorer and type in \\192.168.0.2 and all shared files on the pc will be displayed.

As was more or less said earlier, not advisable share your entire hard disk although port 139 needs to be open for anyone to access it easily.

mattrider
14-05-2007, 03:09 PM
For extra security enter the IP addresses of the computer you want to share files to, as trusted IP adresses into your firewall on all the computers.

Only share folders and not actual drives, as you know what your are sharing.

You could buy a NAS network Attached Storage, which is basically a hard drive that connects to a network. This means that all your computers on the network can access files and does require a full blown computer to hold the files. You can get one from ?80-?130

Or buy a linksys hard adapter and external hard drive. With third party firmware on the linksys you can mount NTFS or FAT32 partitions on the extrenal hard drive.

shaan
30-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi m8 u can setup a small home network using windows home network wizard and share the folders.Make sure you un install or disable nortan anti virus if u have got it coz it conflicts this network wizard.