PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card - Problem playing Movies

ScottyBhoy
24-03-2007, 02:07 PM
My dad wanted to upgrade his graphics card. He bought a Geforce 6200 to replace his Geforce ti4200.

We used driver cleaner in safe made to make sure everything was cleaned out. There was nothing in the system. Installed the new card, booted in safe mode checked driver cleaner again then installed the latest drivers. Direct x 9.0c is also installed.

The card works perfectly. The only problem arises he attempts to play movie files. He has an avi on the machine. When he opened it with media player the thing just froze, it was drawing everything really slowly and remained like that even when media player shut down. Only a reboot solved the problem.

We then tried the avi with Videolan ,this time we got the sound of the movie, no picture and everything was redrawing slowly! Games work fine, Tiger Woods 07 was tested, no problems or slowdown. Put the Geforce ti4200 in and the movie played no problem at all.

Struggling for ideas here. anyone came across this problem before? Cheers for any help offered.

y2krog2000
24-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Try a different driver, you might have the wrong one.

ScottyBhoy
24-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Cheers for that. I dont think the drivers are the issue. I have checked and checked again the release notes. The card is specifically listed. I also thought if it were a problem with the graphics drivers the games would play up.

y2krog2000
24-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I had the same card as you m8 and never had any real problems with it but when I first got it I installed the driver that was on the cd I got with it and it made the pc freeze shortly after booting, I had to boot in safe mode and remove the driver and install one from the nvidia site.

ScottyBhoy
24-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Thats exactly what happened the day my dad installed the driver from the cd. He had to uninstall etc ,the driver we have is from the nvidia site. Will have another look into it though. It could be something as simple as me missing something.

ScottyBhoy
24-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Tried again same problem. Very strange, been looking on the net for something similar.

Possible faulty card!

y2krog2000
25-03-2007, 07:47 AM
If you bought it from the internet and you send it back and its not faulty they will charge you for the postage again, if you have windows xp 32 bit this is the driver you should be using WinXP/2k 32-bit - (93.71) (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_93.71_uk.html)

ScottyBhoy
27-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Solved it - persisited with drivers. On Nvidia site went to 3 drivers before the current one and it worked..... strange.

Thanks for the suggestions!

andyboyrfc
28-03-2007, 11:28 PM
i know you have fixed it now m8 but for any 1 else having the same problem then mabey it could be codecs you need so try installing some of them first b4 you mess about with removing drivers .hope this helps