PDA

View Full Version : System Upgrade Help!

ScottyBhoy
19-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi,
Will be thinking of upgrading my PC over the next couple of months. The system I have (bought in 2004) has not allowed for much room for upgrading - well I dont think it has.
This is my motherboard. - SY-KT333 DRAGON Plus
My Processor is AMD Athlon XP 2000+,
Currently I only have 512mb memory SDRAM. I would be looking to upgrade to 1gig and prepared to ditch the memory I have just now for DDR.
My graphics card doesnt need upgrading just yet - AGP Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT.
I need a motherboard which would support the AGP slot.
I would appreciate any ideas, I use the system for gamind mainly and it is struggling to keep up!
Cheers.

y2krog2000
19-03-2007, 03:07 PM
If you want to build a new computer your better of with pci-express graphics slot on the motherboard instead of agp, I dont think they even make agp cards any more.

Speedy2206
19-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Are you sure the memory is SDRAM? Could you it not "DDR SDRAM" ? (which is the same as just plain 'DDR') :)

Only the really old Socket A motherboards had SDRAM.

DessertDog
19-03-2007, 08:00 PM
One word of advise here m8
If you decide to upgrade your mo bo most noww take DDR2 so you may well need to change your memory as well.
I have just gone through this process myself in the end i purchased a pc ready made for the simple reason that i could not build one for the sameprice or cheaper.
This is what i have just purchased.
Intel Pent D Dual Core 2.8 = 5.6 ghz system
This came with the following Case with a 450 power suply,1 gigDDR2 mem, mobo, 512 meg geforce 7300 PCI-Express Grafix card installed, DvdRw Dual Layer, 250gig HD, Mouse,Speakers and Keyboard.
Only things missing are Monitor and System CD so if you have XP on CD and a good Monitoor this is what i would do.
If you need further advise just reply to the thread i can post the user who i bought my system from and i had it within 7 days.

ScottyBhoy
19-03-2007, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=Speedy2206;80098]Are you sure the memory is SDRAM? Could you it not "DDR SDRAM" ? (which is the same as just plain 'DDR') :)

Yeah I think you are right, it is DDR SDRAM,

DessertDog I fear this is what I might end up doing and selling my system on ebay or something. It would just be easier. My graphics card is fine but the AGP is a problem, im not sure how worthwhile it is just upgrading the processor and memory! probably wont get much more use out of it!

It would be great if you could give me the details of the user.

Thanks for the posts so far.

DessertDog
19-03-2007, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=Speedy2206;80098]Are you sure the memory is SDRAM? Could you it not "DDR SDRAM" ? (which is the same as just plain 'DDR') :)
Yeah I think you are right, it is DDR SDRAM,
DessertDog I fear this is what I might end up doing and selling my system on ebay or something. It would just be easier. My graphics card is fine but the AGP is a problem, im not sure how worthwhile it is just upgrading the processor and memory! probably wont get much more use out of it!
It would be great if you could give me the details of the user.
Thanks for the posts so far.
Well i paid 300 Quid inc postage it was on best offer he was asking 325 plus 25 quid postage so i made an offer of 300 quid inc.
If you want the addy pm me m8 as i dont aim to give anyone free advertising on here lol

y2krog2000
20-03-2007, 08:45 AM
If the graphics card is a 7300le then the 6600gt you already have is better than it so if it is you might want to ask for a different card.

ScottyBhoy
20-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Wish I had looked into this 6 months ago when I bouught the card, will probably punt it on ebay and buy a whole new system. Wont need monitor which is a bonus! Now to save and tell the wife im not spending much
m8 dont sell your card yet email some off them who are selling PCs and ask my new mobo will take AGP but it has to be 1.5 volt m8 think the older AGP was 3volts not sure but worth checking before you get rid.
pm me ill give you the user i used on ebay he seems ok i got mine within 7 days m8