PDA

View Full Version : considering going to SKy

renwich
08-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking of ditching my N*L package and going over to SKY

Currently I have the TV, Phone and broadband from N*L

what im interested in knowing is the following

do I need to go back to bt first for the phone to enable me to get sky broadband, or will they just re-enable my old line,

what is the best know nonsense tv package that will include phone, broadband and tv, I only need kids tv, sports and documentrys, also I may consider a sky + box

krazylegz
09-03-2007, 01:01 AM
yeah u need a bt line for sly broadband ren m8.
you can get full package on sky with with sports and films,unlimited phone calls,and broadband,(up to 16meg but depends how far away from the exchange u are) with unlimited downloads for ?58.50 a month,or ?52 a month if u take away the films. bt phone line rental of ?11 a month is still payable though. fort sly+ you've got to pay ?99 for the box and will get ur recording features free since you would have subscribed to a top package.
have a browse here (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and u can change things as required to see what u want ren m8

The-Wappy-One
09-03-2007, 03:02 PM
and remember for the sky broadband they do have a fairplay policy.. coupled with that you need to have a ADSL2 enabled exchange.. i was considering it to but even tho i have the problems i do with them i have decided to stay with TW ...

but a little tip.. call 0870 2 432 018 and quote Free Trial and you can get

2 mixes ?7.50

4 mixes ?9

or six mixes ?10.50

Or sky world for ?21.75

basically its a half price offer for the next year BUT you need your own equipment (ie dish ect ect)

in the end the phoneline swing it even with those savings with telewest i DONT have a phoneline i use Voip so straightaway there is a ?11 addon.

call sky broadband on any of these

0870 5515515 Or 0207 0326352 Or 0800 0512595

they all divert to the same number i just called the 0800 and they told me what i needed to know just ask if the exchange is enabled, they do that by postcode and then ask for the distance from exchange and speed... i was 3 miles away and exspect to get from 4 to 6 Mb..

but the fairplay polocy was the one that tiped it for me... with cable never had a problem but with sky and it being adsl there a little more tighter when it comes to p2p ect ect ;)

kryten77
10-03-2007, 07:46 AM
I would think long and hard if I was you renwich. I had the full package from Sly...Movies/sports etc...?48
Broadband (Allegedly 8MB,,,theres a laugh never got higher than 2) ?24
Telephone..?11 Bt rental plus calls..
Binned the lot went to Telepest telling them I was leaving Sly and they bent over backwards for me,
Started off with full cable package, 4Mb internet, free evening and weekend calls ?35 the lot. That small trial (6 months) passed and I discovered Dboxes lol. Now have basic TV ?5.50, phoned to ask for the free wireless router..none left but free upgrade for 12 months to 10MB line and getting consistently 8-9Mb, phone still the same so all in I am approx ?40 a month and getting the lot.
The only reason I can think of leaving telepest and going back to Sly is if they take away the Sports channels from cable. the day after that happens I will be a Sly customer again..well maybe not. C*rd Sh*ring is a wonderful thing...lol

swanside
17-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I have just gone over to Sky. ?58 a month plus ?11 for the phone line, Full package, 16meg Broadband, unlimited phone calls, but they have an offer on now, Sky+ box ?49.99 so gone for that and a standard box for the bedroom. I have to get my phone re-connected, but they will cover any cost upto ?120 for BT to do that, and, I rang them this morning (Sat) and they are coming on Wednesday to fit it, Brill, day off work and watch TV, Great.

DessertDog
19-03-2007, 07:06 PM
well i hope you have looked into this fully m8

swanside
19-03-2007, 08:08 PM
well i hope you have looked into this fully m8

Its ?30 a month cheaper, will see how it pans out over 12 months

sc0tsman
21-05-2007, 02:38 PM
and remember for the sky broadband they do have a fairplay policy.. coupled with that you need to have a ADSL2 enabled exchange.. i was considering it to but even tho i have the problems i do with them i have decided to stay with TW ...
but a little tip.. call 0870 2 432 018 and quote Free Trial and you can get
2 mixes ?7.50
4 mixes ?9
or six mixes ?10.50
Or sky world for ?21.75
basically its a half price offer for the next year BUT you need your own equipment (ie dish ect ect)
in the end the phoneline swing it even with those savings with telewest i DONT have a phoneline i use Voip so straightaway there is a ?11 addon.
call sky broadband on any of these
0870 5515515 Or 0207 0326352 Or 0800 0512595
they all divert to the same number i just called the 0800 and they told me what i needed to know just ask if the exchange is enabled, they do that by postcode and then ask for the distance from exchange and speed... i was 3 miles away and exspect to get from 4 to 6 Mb..
but the fairplay polocy was the one that tiped it for me... with cable never had a problem but with sky and it being adsl there a little more tighter when it comes to p2p ect ect ;)

I think the 1/2 price offers got dumped last year m8.

starbuck
04-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm thinking of ditching my N*L package and going over to SKY
Currently I have the TV, Phone and broadband from N*L
what im interested in knowing is the following
do I need to go back to bt first for the phone to enable me to get sky broadband, or will they just re-enable my old line,
what is the best know nonsense tv package that will include phone, broadband and tv, I only need kids tv, sports and documentrys, also I may consider a sky + box

hi m8 i actually install sky in my spare time.i use to have sky but believe me its some rip off.steer clear m8.keep ur money in ur pocket.

swanside
04-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, TV is great, better quality than cable, Even got a HD box off ebay for half price, paying abit more than I was to cable, but its well worth it.
Internet is crap, paying for 16 meg, but only getting 6 - 7megs

mickyrobbo
04-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Na Dont be going to sky not worth any package was with them for 13 years until I found out about the D-ox and will never have them again,,and about the post be fore this one they charge you even more for hd tv,,, stay put

BIGGY
08-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Well, TV is great, better quality than cable, Even got a HD box off ebay for half price, paying abit more than I was to cable, but its well worth it.
Internet is crap, paying for 16 meg, but only getting 6 - 7megs

One thing I hate about Sly is when it rains the signal gets messed. Could really p*ss me off at times.

krazylegz
08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
One thing I hate about Sly is when it rains the signal gets messed. Could really p*ss me off at times.
your signal shouldnt get messed up if it just rains. it's got to really lash down and i mean lash down for my signal to be affected. if yours goes dodgy just off normal rain then your lnb/coax might be dodgy of dish slightly out of posistion

preetkk
16-06-2007, 06:36 PM
will i'm happy with sky so far, 6 mixes 16mb broadband get 15mb throughout the day all for 24 pound a month can't moan at that can ya, came on about 2 weeks ago

krazylegz
16-06-2007, 06:56 PM
very suprised u get that speed u must live ontop of the exchange for that and have ADSL2 enabled line.

but pleased ur happy with it,i'm still happy with my sly plus

preetkk
16-06-2007, 07:27 PM
i live on a brand new eastate and house is about 12 months old estate is proble about 20-24 months old and still building and i live about a mile's driving distance to the exchange

so being new house and that its probly cause of the line being fresh i'd say thats why i get good speeds

Dr X
18-06-2007, 09:27 AM
There will always be pros and cons when changing to a different provider.
Yes i know sky have a bad name ect and have done for many years now, but i`ve been with cable now virgen for many years, and this year has been a right pain.
Since they have decided to try and upgrade the new system to 20meg, well its been even worse since the 8th of may i`ve been off line more times than on.
And what do they offer me ? half price for the next month ?? told them i`m not even going to pay them that as i pay for a service and i`m not geting it and even to pay half is more than its worth.
Cuting a long story short i`m going over to sky and have just bought the misses a Sky HD box from a friend and so she will be happy and the kids.
I`ve noticed that cab do the V+ box but the price is amazing, and when i compaired the full package that i`ve got with virgen, and then with sky well its all about saving money these days and sky beats them hands down i`ve got to say.
So much so that sky charge 10 pounds for the 16meg and look at the price virgen charge for the 10meg ??
You never get full wack when it comes to net no matter what provider you are with as i`ve been with them all, and including bulldog which i think they should change to bulls**t as its got to be the worst i`ve ever experienced.
I noticed its been mentioned the fair use policy with sky, but virgen have this also and i`ve never heard of any one been cut of limited if they exceed their limit, as thats why they have a Unlimited package, it means what it says even with the small claws in it and the small writing.
Vurgen also now from next month will charge you 25p a minute and 50p connection fee if you ring the customer service as of from the 1st of July, so whats happened to the customers come first policy ??
Anyway a friend of mine in the same street has the sky net package but a lower one than the 16meg one and they get just under 7meg on the 8meg package and we are at least 5/6 miles away from the exchange, so not always the case that if you are further away u get less speed.
But time will tell as i get the sky package end of the month, and will let peeps know what its like.
If your going to go for something i`de say do it and try it, as its like a film, you might love it but others wont, and its all down to the persons own experience and likes.

Dr X

preetkk
18-06-2007, 12:31 PM
ha lol 5/6 miles and you get that speed surly that cant be right

here:

The actual bandwidth that you will receive is based on 3 factors: the length of the wire that connects your premises with the BT exchange, the quality of the copper, and signal interference from other users or devices. If the quality of the copper is perfect, and there is no line noise, you can expect to receive approximately 20 megs up to a kilometre from the exchange. If your line is approximately two kilometres long then you can expect to receive up to 15 megs. Your bandwidth will decrease further as line length increases, and we do not offer our service if you are further than 5.5 kilometres from the exchange. While bandwidths are not guaranteed, we do offer the highest bandwidth available using ADSL2+ to your premises. Be pro members will automatically receive an upload speed of up to 2.5 megs, which means their maximum speed is 22 megs.

Thats from a company called BE which also use ADSL2+ like sky do on there 16mb package

Dr X
23-06-2007, 03:55 PM
ha lol 5/6 miles and you get that speed surly that cant be right
Well m8 i`m no expert and i`m not sure were the main system is but i gather its about the 6 mile distence and beleave me i know what i`ve seen and he gets what i say as i have no reason to say anything different to the fact ?
Dont get me wrong i know he said it drops in the night but not much as to what he would notice so to me its all to your tasts and what you would prefear in way of providers >?
Me personaly have had enough of virgen and am changing, who knows i might not like sky after a few weeks or months but hay dont kick it till you try as they say.

Dr X

bisky
26-06-2007, 12:48 AM
I think I`m the same as many on here, ive had sky in the past and it is better than Virgin i think, but when it comes to havin a dbox theres no contest.

virk
26-06-2007, 03:18 PM
i was really about to order Sky digital jus 2 weeks ago as I had been let down soo many times by my local cable guy. but after reading all the info on the site I thought forget it and ill try do it myself.

I personally say choice on sky is better but it is alot more expensive

krazylegz
26-06-2007, 08:45 PM
i prefer sky hands down over virgin for tv but for broadband it's virgin for me. had too many very slow connections using ADSL which sky uses and wouldn't fancy giving it another try.

Dr X
30-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Well it hasnt been long, nearly a week and i`ve had the modem ect delevered via recorded mail and now just waiting for the activation code key thingie and then i`ll throw up what speeds ect i`m geting as a way to let others know what its like or not.
Geting the sky + box delevered on monday and installed, but he wont be needing to install disk as i`ve already installed that so it saves time lol.
But like anything else, i would say i`ve had good net connection with virgen for many years but now every noght its off or droped like anything, so any one that says they aint caping people is wrong, they are and i was supposed to be upgraded to to 20 meg in may, nothing happing so i`ve decided when i worked it all out, virgen want 30+ for net and sky 10 pounds so to me its more net and less price and the advantage of been able to view such things like movies ect on line so no matter were i am i`m able to even control the sky+ box and get it to record so all good to me.

Dr X

Dr X
10-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Well i forgot about this tread.
Ok update, i got the modem and wirless to boot but for some reason i`m only able to get max of 5 meg on my line and so took the modem dow to my mates and low and behold his gets near 3 times the speed and he is less than a mile away from me ?
Got to say what a total wast of time and effort.
One good thing i suppose is that i rang sky up and told them that i`m not happy one bit with it and so i just wanted the free 2meg line and so i`m now on that, but funny thing is now they have changed me to it, i`m geting anything from 3meg to top of 7 so all good lol and to boot its free :)
I went back on the virgin 10meg waiting for it to go up to the 20 meg, and they sent a new modem via recorded mail to the house and rang up and got it connected and so now have two lines.
In all honestie i just cant work out what this is all about with sky and the so called unlimited 16meg and why pay it when u only get so low speeds and connection so i droped down to the 2meg free, and so in all i got a good deal but would of prefeared to get lot more but cant complain.
Love to know how the hell they work it out and such and how come my mate gets woping speeds and me so low and we are not that far away from each other ??
Any way final thought on the matter would be for me to advise not to go for it from sky, unless u are already a customer and go for the free 2 meg line for nouth, free net so what can i say.
Other than that throw up a good aerial on roof and connect your wifi dongle to it and scan the place for open net connections and have free net that way :)

Dr X

lucky1
16-07-2007, 01:59 PM
ive got sky for my tv provider and virgin for my internet and phone , works for me :) .

Pabs
29-07-2007, 10:30 PM
well this is something i now need to consider :(

I'm moving house soon, to a non-cabled area, so only sky is an option for tv really.

Means the dbox goes out the window (or more accurately on ebay) and I have to do with many less channels. (for same money)

?26/month is a good price, but then with the ?11/month on top it's already ?37. And that's without the movie channels, or the sky+ box.

Am I right in thinking it is still ?10+ a month for the "+" features?

krazylegz
30-07-2007, 04:26 PM
no m8 the sky+ fee has been scrapped so u can have the very bottom package but still use your recording features.

i currently have sky+ downstairs and sky+ upstairs with the top package bar sports and pay ?47 a month,but the new deals look canny with the phone and broadband bundled in

Pabs
30-07-2007, 04:33 PM
excellent -thats what i thought with the latest paperwork i picked up, but reading different places on web said it was still ?10+ a month.

But that's cool then - ?26/month, +?11 BT is only about ?2 more than we are paying for phone/broadband at the mo!

slk
02-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I have got the same package SKY 2 mixes, sky talk (evenings and weekend free) and sky broadband max, all adds up to about 25 a month (+ BT line rent).

vik
02-09-2007, 05:16 PM
theyre champions league coverage wins it for me