PDA

View Full Version : 2 tyrabyte sd cards coming soon "µcard"

y2krog2000
08-03-2007, 04:54 PM
The new 2TB (2048GB) ??card,? developed by Taiwan?s Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) and seven local-industry players, is now waiting for marketable solutions to be developed, based on the initial specifications established in early October. The developers have formed the Mu-Card Alliance to promote the new standard.
A source at RiChip, which is one of the participating companies in the alliance, has hinted to DigiTimes that the director of the US-based MultiMediaCard Association (MMCA) will hold a conference with the Taiwan-based developers in mid-January. The conference is aimed at establishing a partnership between MMCA and the developers, according to a source at RiChip. The MMCA may also launch the new specification on behalf of the developers, the source added.
The company source further indicated that a complete specification should be finalized by the end of February 2005 for interested manufacturers. The developers are all striving to raise awareness among local leading enterprises. Many have already expressed an interest, including Asustek Computer, Compal Electronics and MediaTek, the source noted.
None of the companies mentioned were available for comment prior to publication.
The latest information confirms the ?card specifications quoted in the August 6 DigiTimes article and adds the number of connection pads (20), the operating voltage (legacy 5V, 3.3V, 1.8V), the frequency (60MHz) and the interface (MMC SPI USB, x1, x4, x8, x16). There is also a micro-size card added at 24?18?1.4mm (14mm shorter than the full size 24?32?1.4mm).
Demonstration ?cards were displayed to industry players during October, but volume production has not yet begun, sources indicated.

hippy dave
16-09-2007, 02:37 AM
nice, i'll take six please! :)
i've honestly been itching for the day when solid-state storage becomes cheap and capacitous (is that a word? :) ) enough to make hard drives obselete. i've had too many hard drives die on me, and especially something that's gonna get shaken around like an mp3 player, i have no interest in getting one with a hard drive in, so the sooner i can get a decent-sized solid state one the better!

Declan
16-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Its about time something of this capacity has came to market, this more or less means that if you want a good cheap mp3/4 player you can use your phone rather than having to buy something like an ipod.

stickywicket
16-09-2007, 06:25 AM
with the scale of new processors and solid state memory being developed im totally blown away by the possibilities for the future. seen some stuff on a programme tonight that left me amazed.

as for ipod being good/cheap, since when lol while they were one of the first to the market i cant stand them, over complicated and unreliable.

StrictlySocial
21-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Hmmm, why am I skeptical. As much as I would love this its going to be a long time coming, I'm still waiting to buy an atom laptop Atom Chip Corporation Reveal Ultra Fast 6.8GHz Laptop - Vapourware? : Digital-Lifestyles (alpha remix) (http://digital-lifestyles.info/2005/09/06/atom-chip-corporation-reveal-ultra-fast-68ghz-laptop-vapourware)

y2krog2000
21-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Hmmm, why am I skeptical. As much as I would love this its going to be a long time coming, I'm still waiting to buy an atom laptop Atom Chip Corporation Reveal Ultra Fast 6.8GHz Laptop - Vapourware? : Digital-Lifestyles (alpha remix) (http://digital-lifestyles.info/2005/09/06/atom-chip-corporation-reveal-ultra-fast-68ghz-laptop-vapourware)
When the quad core notebook processors come out next year some will be faster than the one in the atom laptop, dont know about the TeraByte of ram tho.

grexeo
29-02-2008, 11:50 AM
But how many times can you write to them?

Most solid state discs can only be written to a limited number of times before they stop working.

alrightythen1
01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
will keep an eye out for them

majic
04-03-2008, 11:02 PM
and to think, i just got a 16gig sd card.. should of waited :P

bullo2007
18-04-2008, 10:58 AM
we will be running our computers off these things soon enough lol