PDA

View Full Version : should i go vista?

scotia
07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
I bought a dell e521 just before christmas with xp media centre edition installed , I have just ordered my supposedly free upgrade to vista dvd. Should I upgrade and to vista or stick with xp mce?

Parva
08-03-2007, 02:05 AM
I've just bought a brand new Acer laptop with Vista pre-installed. Personally, I wouldn't 'upgrade' to Vista just yet, there's far too many problems with it. :( I know some have been lucky and it's gone OK for them but it's got so much security crap on it now that it throws a wobbler on installing almost anything. I can't even get MSN LiveMessenger to run, Windows DRM reports some sorta problem. :(

ticticboom
08-03-2007, 02:18 AM
am the same am not gona bother with it till its been tested further looks great though but xp does the job 4 now but if u have two comps one xp one vista that would be a good way to get used to vista.

y2krog2000
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
They send you out a vista cd so I would get it but they do charge you 10 quid for delivery "well hp and compaq do anyways", if you leave it to long the offer will end and you wont be able to get vista for this price. When vista gets better and they bring out a service pack or 2 you should be able to download the newer cds and use the same cd key to install the vista with the service packs.

kryten77
08-03-2007, 08:59 PM
The only reason to "upgrade" to vista would be if you want to become an unpaid Beta tester for microsoft.
Microsoft have a history of releasing O/S that are barely finished and then release updates as and when users report problems with it.
Look at Windows 95/98/2000/XP. There are service releases and updates almost daily.
Better wait till its a more stable platform with a bit more development and support behind it.
Having said that I have put it on a test PC at home and after the initial "hitting my head off the wall" routine to get it installed and drivers put in, it seems to be working reasonably well. It does tend to hog system resources and doesnt like some of the software I was trying to put onto it.

Shipoftheline
08-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I'd get it if its free but still wouldn't put the thing on yet because it eats up more resource's and well unless your into DX10 games which aren't even out yet there is no point

krazylegz
09-03-2007, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE=Shipoftheline;78270]I'd get it if its free but still wouldn't put the thing on yet because it eats up more resource's and well unless your into DX10 games which aren't even out yet there is no point[/QUOTE

totally agree. i put vista ultimate on my lappy and jesus.........how slow. i know having more memory would help but xp runs spot on with 512ddr.

there was hardly any drivers for it so i couldnt play pes6 on it as it wouldnt recognise my ps2 adapter and to me it looks cosmetic,so back to xp i went.

i wouldnt recommend it,not till sp1 for it has come out at least

DanMB
09-03-2007, 04:54 PM
I installed to buggy for me, i'll wait for SP1 and retry it. I don't really nead a pretty OS.

mullo
13-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I was told to stay away from it and thats from A MATE in microsoft

potuk
14-03-2007, 12:57 AM
i guess it same with all new operating systems, just depends if you really want to have the latest thing or if your happy with xp, if your happy then i wouldn't upgrade just now.

Sicilian
14-03-2007, 07:09 AM
I've been using vista for while now, personally I think its great. The security crap is good imo, stops the missus installing unwanted crap & breaking the system. /me says go for it, but make sure theres drivers for your hardware.

kryten77
14-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Here's a little update into my foray of using Vista on a test PC.

:peeingman:http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/kryten77/PC_explodes.gif

Surprise, Surprise it has all gone a bit Pete Tong...PC crashed, wouldnt reboot despite running every Technicians disk and tool I had so its now back to XP and going like sh*t off of a stick.
This PC had 2GB Ram and two 500 Gig HD's in it and still it was like wading through treacle wearing divers boots.
Why do microsucks do this, release O/S that are barely out of Beta and expect people to pay through the nose for them only for them to be bug ridden,bloated barely functioning pieces of crap.

Timoweb
14-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Well im changing over to vista on Friday night but only on a diff hard drive just in case.

Shipoftheline
14-03-2007, 10:54 AM
If I ever use Vista it will be the basic edition which hasn't got all the oh doesn't look pretty crap which slows it down and takes up unnecessary resources

Timoweb
15-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Running Vista Ultimate now and its working fantastic. The sound and media side is great. Big shock when only i piece of hardware is not compatablie but its an old network card i use so no biggie. Looks very nice. Runiing 64 with 1GB (quite fast ram) working well, not thrown any old progams at it yet sure they wont lol. Going to try Half Life 2 1st see if there's any speed diff or probs!

ORACLE
25-03-2007, 12:24 AM
i think you should but as some people have said you may wish to wait till the bugs are fixed and it mite even come down in price.

popol
08-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Using ultimate on a dual core.Very good and very fast.

ashraft
10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
i'm running vista at the moment with out any problems. internet explorer doesn't work but i don't use that anyway. live messenger works. saying that i do have a fairly good computer with a 5.2 vista rating.
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
hope this helps
p.s. waiting for a few more updates before going 64bit

Blue4Ever
17-04-2007, 11:15 PM
How do I find out what the Vista Rating of my laptop is any ideas I have just recieved the Vista upgrade DVD but have'nt installed yet on my Acer Laptop!

T9PMK
22-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Just built an dual boot system, XP on one drive and Vista on another drive, Vista is excellent much prefer it, no problems.

Specification:
AMD Atlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ 2.81 Ghz
2047 MB DDR2 memory
DFI Infinity Nf SLI M2/G motherboard
750 GB between 3 hard drives

Cheers T9

s2tephen
26-04-2007, 06:17 PM
YES go for it been using it for a while no problems

TheWood
27-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Here is my take.

Im currently using a Dell XPS laptop at wk which came with Vista Business installed. I did have 1GB ram but it was slow so i updraded to 2GB. It now runs fine. I do not have any major issues with it.

The security can be anoyying if you are used to installing / uninstalling apps a lot but it can be disabled. I have mine disabled and do not have any issues there now.

I like the little touches of Vista like mini live windows when you hover over a program on your taskbar. Or if you press the windows key and tab it scrolls through live screens of programs you are running.

I would install it but make sure you have plenty on RAM, 2GB+ in my opinion.

TheWood

gazza25m
27-04-2007, 11:03 AM
ive been running vista home prem since release and have to say ive found it a excellent os so far.

TheDogs1888
30-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Still a few compatibility issues with vista and for me the added security can be a pain but its like when XP first came out some people hated it and others loved it....me im in the middle, have it on a second drive but still have a tendancy to use XP first...still a few problems to sort out in vista but when they do it will be worth trying

zorro
01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
hi,i found vista a bit strange a first,but it wasv only when i started to use card programmers and unloopers that i found a lot of problems,no drivers available,so i went back to xp,cheers

teamplayer2003
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I recently upgraded to it and liked the look but hated the performance, unless you have a hi spec machine its not worth the hassel. Even some new machines which are "vista" compatable cant really run it very well. I would stick with XP.

Sicilian
03-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I've just bought a brand new Acer laptop with Vista pre-installed. Personally, I wouldn't 'upgrade' to Vista just yet, there's far too many problems with it. :( I know some have been lucky and it's gone OK for them but it's got so much security crap on it now that it throws a wobbler on installing almost anything. I can't even get MSN LiveMessenger to run, Windows DRM reports some sorta problem. :(

If you speak to Acer, they'll point you towards a patch. MSN is not working because of Vista, its because of the Acer security crap.

fantom
04-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I think it depends on what other gear you have, when I moved from Windows ME to XP my scanner would not work. I had to wait a while before drivers came out.

Sicilian
04-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I've been using Vista for a while now & very happy with it.

Only upgrade to Vista if you have a fast dual core machine with at least 2GB or memory, dont bother with a slow machine.

Before upgrading use the vista advisor software to check compatibility.

At the moment the only hardware which is seriously lacking drivers are sound cards. Most vista sound card drivers are basic at the moment and lacking software.

baz999
04-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I have had vista for around 3month now. I got the OEM version of Premium.
I would say it looks very nice, kind of mac/linux Knome feel to it.
I dont think its any faster than XP though, the only reason I bought it was becasue I was wanting a media center PC, and I think XP media center was around ?100 where as I got the OEM Vista for ?130ish

Verdict: Dont buy it unless you really need it or really want it. I would just stick with XP.

Baz999

spacecaps
06-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I've been using Vista in the Enterprise since early betas - I would say its got value in the business side becuase of its versatility with deployment (windows PE 2 based boot and WIM format), improved kernal routines for network threads etc. Its generally faster but does suffer from a few bugs, particularly around power saving. Hibernate the machine and you are highly likely to lose your default gateway! Also you need at least 1GB RAM and a decent graphics card (min 256MB) to get Aero (glass interface) running correctly.

SP1 has loads of bug fixes in there, but I would stil recommend Vista. On a good machine you will see 20% improvement on performmance.

zippy2k6
06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
im running vista on my new sony vaio laptop and i think its brill had some probs with software though so will have to wait on updates as usual :berley:

Barnsley-Bill
09-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Im runing vista ultimate 32bit and alls well I first tried the 64 bit version but coulnt get the drivers for some programs i use.
Im still getting used to it and trying to find the tweaks tomake it run better.

dixi786
17-05-2007, 07:25 PM
i think you should wait im having problems with loads of stuff

Sicilian
18-05-2007, 11:18 AM
i think you should wait im having problems with loads of stuff

Thats a usefull first post :p

Why dont you say what your having problems with???? That would be more helpfull.

a_n_h_24
25-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I've been using Vsta for a couple of weeks on a new laptop i bought. I wouldn't fork out money at this point to upgrade my old PC on XP to vista though as i don't think the cost is justified given what i use the PC for...

i think it's best to wait till you can't do without it and then buy it...

agsol
25-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Just updated wifes sony vaio laptop to Vista Home, very easy to do. It recognised there was a problem with sound and wifi but a quick download fron the vaio website and everything is running smoothly. Takes longer to load than xp but is quicker and more stable in normal use.

Regards

dixi786
27-05-2007, 11:03 AM
i am having problems with media centre keeps on freezing and daughters games dont want to play dont know wot to du

Viper
27-05-2007, 10:00 PM
would advise not to upgrade to vista until they release a service pack update.. this way u'll know most of the problems had been fixed.

t3rry
04-06-2007, 10:40 PM
you really do need to check compatability on the ms website a minimum oh l gig is needed to run Vista Smoothly.

be1
07-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I bought a dell laptop which came with Vista home premium, I had a lots of trouble finding vista compatible drivers so I deleted it and install window xp.
Another way I've heard is if you really want to use vista is to dual boot that is to create two partitions one for xp and the other one for vista.

Stealth
11-04-2008, 10:14 PM
If you want to go for Vista then go for Vista ultimate. Make sure you can get drivers for your devices.

JayUK7
12-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Why would he want ultimate.. an enormous waste of money.
I doubt he want to join the computer to a domain which is the only main thing you get in ultimate thats not in home prem.

blaster
12-04-2008, 07:13 PM
i bought a new laptop a month or so ago and it came with vista... i must admit i hated it and soon formatted and installed good old xp.
the concept of vista is good but the os is awful..
my opinion might not be everyones but i hated it!!

tank7788
12-04-2008, 07:22 PM
i tryed vista got sick of searching for drivers looks ok but feel better on xp pro

alrightythen1
12-04-2008, 10:50 PM
i had the same problem looking for drivers and had to uninstall it

Orinoco
13-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Drivers are a major issue with Vista especially USB connected devices, for this reason alone my current advice to all my clients at the moment is too stay well away, I recently demonstrated this to a client by having 2 identical pcs both Dell's 1 installed with Xp sp2 as supplied for the Pc by Dell, the other installed with Vista Ultimate as supplied for the Pc by Dell, the simple demonstration I performed was to insert a USB memory stick, the Xp machine installed the drivers and I was able to access the drive, the Vista machine immediately blue screened, I preformed the test again with the same results, end of demonstration.

davetherave
13-04-2008, 12:20 PM
i am on it.. like most of it but there so many think you can not do on it...

nospamjl
13-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Note as well on laptops you get poorer battery life on Vista basically becase of Aero..

njl

ceepee2003
13-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I have to say that I was dubious about installing Vista, but, having installed Vista Ultimate (with SP1 pre built-in) it works great (once i had turned the annoying nag screens off!).

The only thing I have found is that whilst it wouldn't let me install the XP print drivers for my Epson R220 printer directly (Vista drivers are available from Epson, which I was going to use), once I had shared the printer from my server and connected to it, it installed the XP drivers without any problems and is quite happy to print to it.

duffy67
13-04-2008, 11:02 PM
good point, drivers can be a bit of a pain, and definately disable UAC (user account control) soon as.

shiraj
13-04-2008, 11:09 PM
microsoft is cutting price for vista, still no one buying

shiraj
13-04-2008, 11:10 PM
with sp1 its 10-25% slower

jachar
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
On a serious note from a PC Tech! only if you want to waste your time being frustrated and tired of the security risks everything suddenly pose's

Security gone mad switch it off and you leave your self wide open to trogens leave it on and drive yourself crazt

Personaly still like XP Pro a lot better

eo777777
12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
it seems we are all vista haters here! lol..