PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 goes on sale for £550

Shipoftheline
16-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Sod that 2006 Playstation R.I.P

MUCH-DISCUSSED PlayStation 3 has gone on sale for £550, on the Play.com website.

The console can be pre-ordered on the site and is "due for release on 17 November 2006.

But Play.com is already warning customers that there will be a shortage of consoles, which may or may not be a smart way of getting eager punters to order early

"Due to an expected European shortage of the PS3, we are unable to guarantee delivery of your PS3 before Christmas," the sits says.

"All pre-orders will be fulfilled on a first come, first served basis and game titles in this package may be changed, subject to availability," it adds.

The £549.99 model up for grabs at some point in the future sports 60GB hard drive

Playstation 3 goes on sale for £550 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. es/Product.html

bladesftp
16-06-2006, 10:30 AM
WOW £550 bit pricey aint it i was expecting around £400 at teh most lol

davenicholl
16-06-2006, 02:36 PM
yeah very pricey

boabness
16-06-2006, 03:02 PM
feckin better off with a pc. im no geting wan o them then

boabness
16-06-2006, 03:05 PM
WOW £550 bit pricey aint it i was expecting around £400 at teh most lol
it is only £400 if u take the 3 games away m8

holcma
16-06-2006, 06:16 PM
its still a bit expensive 4 me

yuorz
17-06-2006, 04:34 PM
It is expensive but don't forget that you're getting a Blu-Ray playr as well. Even though this 'positive' is quite negligible at the moment.

leeuk
18-06-2006, 12:20 PM
i will just get one when the prices drop abit

baggy69
22-06-2006, 06:13 PM
any other preorder places yet ?

Crayz
22-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Your local Game or HMV should start taking preorders now ino mine is ^^ but i think im gunna wait a while until the prices drop and just leech off my freinds :)

baggy69
22-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Your local Game or HMV should start taking preorders now ino mine is ^^ but i think im gunna wait a while until the prices drop and just leech off my freinds :) lol
if they do sell out, how much you think they will go for on ebay?

fatchap
22-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Thats a bit steep, especially as the xbox360 is going to have a price drop around the same time to under £200, the 2 systems aren't that different for performance, the 360 already has a firmware hack for those wishing to use backups of games, as well as the fact mr gates will have sold 10 million of the 360 by then, and should have a fairly stable unit in production. First few batches of anything electronic are guaranteed high % of problems...

hmm, let me think... its a pretty hard decision to make... extremely high spec pc / high spec games machine (xbox360) vs high spec games machine for only £300 extra.

I'll have 10 of them please.

nic
23-06-2006, 12:01 AM
game is doing a pre-order,better be quick because from what i was told the worldwide launch is going to be at the same time meaning a lengthy wait for the second coming,and pricewize 550 isnae too bad for a blue-ray drive that on its own in a stand alone player would probably cost more than that right now

italix
23-06-2006, 08:19 PM
I would rather have a HD-DVD player for my XBOX360...Blu-Ray discs are too expensive...

fatchap
24-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I believe they were also talking of the potential of a similar type of drive as an add-on for xbox 360 at some point in future as well.... i hate to say it, but i think Sony have got a bit of hard competition looming here...
In the long term we might think they were in fact the best system, but £350 extra is going to mean i need a lot of convincing.

colinallan
25-06-2006, 07:58 PM
think i will stick with my xbox 360 than pay that much money for sony rubbish that only last a year.
lol

davie
03-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Thats a bit steep, especially as the xbox360 is going to have a price drop around the same time to under £200

Microsoft apparently came out publicly and said that the price drop is not going to happen.

Shipoftheline
03-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Microsoft apparently came out publicly and said that the price drop is not going to happen.

Do you really believe they wont ? Sony are Microsoft's biggest competition in the console market and they know full well if they let the PS3 get ahead again they'll never be number 1. These are not idiots I'd put money a £100 price drop for the HDD version.

They may have said no to any price reductions before but this is common bussiness tactic. Would you go out and buy a 360 now if you knew the price was coming down ?

davie
03-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Do you really believe they wont ? Sony are Microsoft's biggest competition in the console market and they know full well if they let the PS3 get ahead again they'll never be number 1. These are not idiots I'd put money a £100 price drop for the HDD version.
They may have said no to any price reductions before but this is common bussiness tactic. Would you go out and buy a 360 now if you knew the price was coming down ?

Well we don't really know for sure but I was just posting what I had heard. I'm going to wait anyway as better games will be out late autumn/early winter for the christmas market.

kinpin
04-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I think Play.com are overpricing it a bit as they are unsure of what the real price is, I heard that it would be £420 which is still a scandalous amount.

Diablo13
04-07-2006, 09:12 PM
After watching friends cook their breakfasts on an Xbox 360, just before taking them back to the shop for replacement every 2 weeks, (1 of them has had to return 3 well done Xbox 360's in about 3 months) because they wanted to be the first to get 1, I would rather let everyone else with more money than sense test the new Playstation 3 technology for me. Dont get me wrong I would love one, but if I was going to pay out so much money I would like to know it was reliable first?
Just my 2 pence worth.v:) (:|

Wee Gordon
05-07-2006, 10:44 PM
its a lot of money for a gmes conscole but im getting it when the prices go doon

Shipoftheline
06-07-2006, 08:07 AM
After watching friends cook their breakfasts on an Xbox 360, just before taking them back to the shop for replacement every 2 weeks, (1 of them has had to return 3 well done Xbox 360's in about 3 months) because they wanted to be the first to get 1, I would rather let everyone else with more money than sense test the new Playstation 3 technology for me. Dont get me wrong I would love one, but if I was going to pay out so much money I would like to know it was reliable first?
Just my 2 pence worth.v:) (:|

The overheating problem has been sorted but out of interest tell me a brand new console that didn't have teething problems

fatchap
07-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Ah, so the overheating issue explains why Microsoft downsized the 360's processor technology... (less power / lower heat dissipation).

Just goes to show that funky new technology comes with lots of risks in its first year of conception.

Shipoftheline
08-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Ah, so the overheating issue explains why Microsoft downsized the 360's processor technology... (less power / lower heat dissipation).
Just goes to show that funky new technology comes with lots of risks in its first year of conception.

The XBOX 360 isn't really new technology just not tested good enough but seems the later batchs have sorted things out

sullly
08-07-2006, 09:46 AM
watever the price , they will go on ebay for a lot more ,

more money than sense (:|

DAVEJMAG
29-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Ive pre-ordered 1 from play,but hope to get another from 1 of the game shops so if theres a shortage i can get my money back on ebay.
£550 is expensive but console is £420 and the games are £50 so your saving £20 on the package.Alright you cant pick the games but you can trade them in i suppose if you dont like them.

Smig
29-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Dont know how the hell Sony expect us to pay £550 for that!

aporter1985
30-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I have £550 set aside. Can't wait

Diablo13
30-07-2006, 03:48 PM
The overheating problem has been sorted but out of interest tell me a brand new console that didn't have teething problems

That may be true but they still seem to run very hot, maybe the improved 360's haven't fully filtered through to all the high street suppliers yet.
I agree most consoles have teething troubles but surely that is the best reason to hold back until they have been fully tested by consumers and not just in laboratory conditions? Once all the "must have it first brigade" have acted as guinnea pigs the teething troubles get sorted and the improved version can then be bought at a more reasonable price. A bit of patience should reward you with a win win situation to me. v:)

Declan
10-08-2006, 05:42 AM
well santa is gonna get me one for christman so i cant wait lol

no ill be serious, the only game i really play for the play stations would be grand theft auto and some shooting games, tbh if i got one i would love it but if i didnt id just wait for the new grand theft auto i think that sony should lower their price cuz £500 is a bit steep for a games consol, and when the ps2 came out and i got one i bored with it after about 6 months but i still use it

ericah1985
10-08-2006, 07:51 AM
£550 sounds a bit steep. I suppose I'll have to pre order one for my husband though.

johnzer
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Knowing me ill end up getting one, play it for a few days and then not play it again until theres a good new game, eg GTA or Resident Evil

The price tag is reasonable considering how much blue-ray players are on their own

Hitman
12-08-2006, 09:50 AM
It seems these consoles are getting more like pc's these days ....hard drive usb ect.....i bet you can browse the net on it too as you can on the psp.

You're almost paying for a high spec pc at 550 pounds

(why cant i use the pound sign here?)

jancarius
15-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Yeh cnt wait till this baby gets released!!!

Declan
15-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Dont know how the hell Sony expect us to pay £550 for that!

didnt mean to thank you on that but hey it happens

well if you are not happy with your buy if you did buy , then throw it on ebay and say it has been opened for photographs, although i wont own one this side of the year i would rele like to own one but am not gonna pay loads on ebay

broony2005
16-08-2006, 12:50 AM
still gonna have to talk the missus into letting me buy one:fence:

Shipoftheline
29-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Haha just as many Playstation fans thought it couldn't get any worse,

IT LOOKS LIKE the PS3 is way too powerful for us mere humans, and because the value is so overwhelming, Sony is going to make it a little more palatable. The RSX, previously scheduled to run at 550/700 core/memory has been realigned with expectations and the value chain at 500/650.
We can't tell you why the GPU lost nearly 10% of it's clock, it could be an NVidia screwup, or it could be Sony/Cell. Either way, it just became much less of an overwhelming value, but you get a DRM infected drive for 'free' either way.

As a help to the fanbois who inevitably write in somewhat curious broken englishish every time their precious console gets re-specced in a downward manner, please cut and paste the following. It will save you at least an hour trying to figure out the parts of the keyboard that are not WASD:

You teh sux0r 2 sae teh PS3 is not going to teh r0x0r! Yew lie, yew 360 luvr. U teh sux! U maek thing up, go die!!!1111one!1!!!1 heheheheh

As for Sony, I know your reaction, you are going to start a whispering campaign on the forums like last time. Please give the PR genius who thought that one up a promotion and a raise. It worked so well to cower me that I got more inside sources disgusted with you third rate backstabbing attempts than I got in a year. Please do it again, I didn't take offense last time, and I promise not to this time. µ

PS3 downgraded again (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33995)

Diablo13
29-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Haha just as many Playstation fans thought it couldn't get any worse,
PS3 downgraded again (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. ERRR, WHAT?
Is this geezer really a journalist or am I just getting too old to understand modern "English?". Gives me a great idea though, maybe we ought to run journalism classes on here for some of the press boys? If they manage to complete the full page course, including getting their name and address correct, we could award them; "The Shipoftheline award for excellence in putting words together in a coherent sentence".
What do you think, would we get many takers. :9:

Shipoftheline
29-08-2006, 07:36 PM
ERRR, WHAT?
Is this geezer really a journalist or am I just getting too old to understand modern "English?".

He's being sarcastic in regards to the response from Playstation fans ie examples of past moans

Diablo13
29-08-2006, 08:12 PM
He's being sarcastic in regards to the response from Playstation fans ie examples of past moans

Well the jokes on me then for being so thick :rofl: . Could have sworn I'd seen articles like that in the Sun though.:-?

Shipoftheline
30-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Well the jokes on me then for being so thick :rofl: . Could have sworn I'd seen articles like that in the Sun though.:-?

I'd love to seen one of these articles then please ?

y2krog2000
02-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Not a bad price considering its around £300 for a cheap blu ray drive for the pc at the min. Could have done with sticking a decent sized hard drive in it though.

groovyleigh
02-09-2006, 08:43 PM
The thing is though, is that teenagers and students cant afford £500 now a days (well most cant), and its kids who i believe playstation use to attract.

daddybond
30-09-2006, 02:43 PM
They should not be allowed to do this, it is just false marketing. It is just like the PS2 all over again,
db

y2krog2000
30-09-2006, 07:03 PM
If you dont want to pay that much for the ps3 then dont, but anything new that comes out is always pricey, and as far as I know the ps3 was not made for skint students and people on the dole:9: .

ashshop
03-10-2006, 12:49 AM
buy it in usa its always cheaper . bought me son's psp in usa cheaper and even the games / films r cheaper