PDA

View Full Version : USB Hub problem

bhoy100
02-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi, every time I connect a new device to my 4 port hub it says it can run faster if I connect it to 2.0USB port on my PC, trouble is the hub is supposed to be 2.0 too and has an external power supply so thats not the prob, could it be drivers and if so where would I get updated ones, I don't know the make, its just a generic one I picked up some time ago... Any help appreciated, not a major problem but an annoying one..

evilclive
02-03-2007, 11:48 PM
What's your motherboard, and which operating system are you using?

bhoy100
03-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Don't know the motherboard but I'm on windows XP home edition, how can i find the motherboard manufacturer without opening the tower or restarting the PC?

evilclive
03-03-2007, 03:41 AM
The easiest way to do it, if you don't mind restarting the computer but don't want to download any diagnostic tools such as SiSoftware Sandra - System analyser, diagnostic and benchmarking (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. is to press the Pause key as the computer runs its startup memory test, copy down the string of numbers and letters at the bottom of the screen onto a piece of paper, and then look up that string on a web search engine.

dx100-uk
03-03-2007, 03:46 AM
it sounds like you have the hub plugged into a 1.1 port
sometime the ports on additional cards or at the front are 1.1 and the rear ones [by the bank of other connectors] are version 2.0

i would run something like suggested above or even everest diagnostics to interrogate the m/b

dx100uk:ignored:

y2krog2000
03-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Your usb ports on your computer must be usb 1.1 if you have no 2.0 hubs your best of getting one of these and sticking it into an available pci slot Mplex.com. Generic 4 Port Internal USB 2.0 PCI Card (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. its best to get these from a local computer shop because maplins and pcworld will rip you off.

bhoy100
03-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I ran the SiS software, its a Gigabyte technology motherboard, does that help any of you in any way?

evilclive
03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I ran the SiS software, its a Gigabyte technology motherboard, does that help any of you in any way?
It's a start. Go here (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and either copy and paste the motherboard model number into box 1, or select the CPU type from box 3 (*) for a list of all Gigabyte's motherboards, and click on the right one.

(*) an Athlon or Athlon XP is socket A, an older Pentium 4 is socket 478 (or 370 or 423 if it's really old).

Then download the manual from that web page, and have a look at the list of features (near the front of the manual) to see whether it boasts of USB2.0 support. If it isn't mentioned, your motherboard only supports USB1.1.

bhoy100
04-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Ive run the SiS software, all it seems to tell me is mainboard make, processor, memory etc, can't find the specific model name anywhere, what am I doing wrong?? Also tried to restart the PC and I'm not qick enough or can't pause it during re-start to get it this way, tearing my hair out now......:machinegun:

bhoy100
04-03-2007, 01:31 PM
It tells me my model is Nvidia n-force2, but surely this is my graphics card?

evilclive
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
It tells me my model is Nvidia n-force2, but surely this is my graphics card?
Oh good, that's the most up-to-date and fastest chipset available for socket A processors. I guarantee it supports USB 2.0.

(Don't confuse the NForce brand, which is a motherboard, with GeForce, which is a graphics card.)

This means you need to look elsewhere for the problem.

It's most likely to be your USB hub that only supports USB 1.1. Try plugging the USB device straight into the USB slot at the back of your case, and see if you get the same message.

If that doesn't solve the problem, it could possibly, but shouldn't, be the USB cable itself. I might have a spare certified USB 2.0 cable in my pile of junk: I'll have a look later. They're only worth pennies, so don't buy one from PC World for 15 quid!

bhoy100
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks a lot for that, I'll try a different hub, they're not too dear, I've had this one for a few years so it could be the prob, thanks everyone for your help, I've learnt a few things here...:appl: