PDA

View Full Version : How Will I Change Proxy?

y2krog2000
01-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I have been farting about with my computer a bit to much and now my wireless isnt working right and I cant get on msn messenger and msn tells me that my proxy may be wrong does anyone know how I can have the computer back to the way it was because I dont remember changing anything to do with proxys?

Thanks

jay
01-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Good God.....even the best have bad days hey;)

You have probably tried these but here it goes

obtain ip address automatically
access router via http(192.168.0.1 or something) reset
remove router altogether
shutdown all firewalls and such
shutdown none essencial programs
turn off modem and router for half hour to renew ip

good luck

mehtarah
01-03-2007, 04:30 PM
You may want to try do a restore to a point in time when you know all was working ok. Control panel -> system -> system restore.

y2krog2000
01-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Im not behind a router in just connected to the internet with ethernet, I have checked the box obtain ip address automaticaly and still not working.

The system restore thing was the 1st thing I tried and no joy.

I was out some yesterday at a free internet open zone and could'nt connect and have been having problems since then I couldnt get on the internet with internet explorer so installed firefox and it works ok but I cant get onto msn messenger and I hate using trillian.

Thanks again

jay
01-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Maybe you could try un-installing internet explorer using add/remove windows components.

Are you using IE6 or 7? could you upgrade?

y2krog2000
01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Maybe you could try un-installing internet explorer using add/remove windows components.
Are you using IE6 or 7? could you upgrade?

Already done that m8 before I tried firefox and still didnt work.

evilclive
02-03-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm a little confused as to why you say you're connected by Ethernet (which by definition means with wires) and are complaining that your wireless setup is dodgy.

One helpful thing I've found in these cases is to enter the IPv4 address of a DNS server (either your ISP's own, or an open one) into the DHCP server settings of your router, rather than relying on your ISP to provide these details automatically, and on your router to pick them up.

Try these DNS addresses, as provided by To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Primary: 208.67.222.222
Secondary: 208.67.220.220

It is unfortunately not so easy to search the web for "open DNS servers", as that term refers to servers that are open to a denial-of-service attack by means of recursive queries. Add "-recursive*" to your query for more manageable Google results.

y2krog2000
02-03-2007, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=evilclive;76728]I'm a little confused as to why you say you're connected by Ethernet (which by definition means with wires) [QUOTE]

No, im saying that this problem only started when I tried to log onto a free wireless connection, it was ok before I tried it but I couldnt connect to the wireless conection and now im having problems with IE7 and msn messenger and I didnt change any of my settings I had firefox on my U3 pen drive and was able to use that to get an internet conection and download firefox but IE dosent work at all any more and msn messenger is telling me that there is a problem with my proxy, I will have a look at the links you left and see if that sorts it out later on cheers.

evilclive
02-03-2007, 03:02 PM
I assume you know how to remove the Proxy setting in IE7:

Tools menu: Internet Options: Connections tab: LAN Settings button.

If, without you realising it, IE downloaded and ran a *.ins (Internet settings) file, these settings could have been changed. It's very easily done.

y2krog2000
02-03-2007, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=evilclive;76779]I assume you know how to remove the Proxy setting in IE7:

Tools menu: Internet Options: Connections tab: LAN Settings button.
QUOTE]
Yea I removed it and still having the same problems, im just gonna reinstall windows cause I cant figure out whats happened.

Cheers for all the replys :wink: