PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Is it worth the money?

Mike_the_monk
25-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I was looking in the argos catalog as you do and came across the DVD player section and saw a HD DVD player which was ?1000.
Now i thought sony charging round ?500 for the ps3 was ridiculas but when you think that you also get a hd dvd player it becomes resonable.
If i remember correctly when the ps2 come out it was the same kind of situation with DVD's. They offered a cheap dvd player in the way of the console.
But i still dont think i will get one till they go down a fair bit in price.
Just wondered what everyone else thought of it.

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Sony are extracting the urine out of everyone and hoping people still buy it for the name

Sony's PS3 Euro PR gets worse

NOT ONLY do EU customers for the PS3 have to put up with a console that is much more expensive than anywhere else in the world, Sony has now admitted it will not work as well either.
EU punters have already had to wait for the release of the PS3 while Sony tried to butter up its American and Japanese customers, only to find that they will have to pay nearly double for the console.

Now it turns out that the European version of PlayStation 3 will play fewer PlayStation 2 video games when it launches on March 23 compared with models launched earlier in Japan and America.

The Euro model will be designed differently from the US and software will take over some of the functionality that was originally taken care of by dedicated chips. Dedicated chips cost a bit more than software so Sony is actually skimping its EU customers despite charging them more.

But the result is that if EU people were hoping that their PS2 games will run on the PS3 you might be out of luck.

So why is Sony being so nasty to its EU client base? There is the small matter of European consumer law which requires gizmos to last nearly twice as long than the US and Japan. In US if a PS3 explodes after a year, the punter has not got a leg to stand on. In Blighty however Sony would have to repair or replace the thing for two years after it was sold.

Sony loses money at first on each PS3 sale due to high production costs and Nobuyuki Oneda, Sony's chief financial officer is determined to make the negative PS3 margin to break even toward the second half of the next business year.

Sony's PS3 Euro PR gets worse (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37825)

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Reading a bit on the internet and looking at some of the videos on youtube I would say its well worth the money and the games look a lot better than the xbox360 and has a lot more features.

wallsy
25-02-2007, 02:44 PM
get a WII, there really fun to play, PS3, well at that price, in 3 years they will be worth nothing, depreciation value will be MEGGA

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 03:12 PM
get a WII, there really fun to play, PS3, well at that price, in 3 years they will be worth nothing, depreciation value will be MEGGA

In 3 years a PS3 will be worth a lot more than a wii will, the PS3 is a home entertainment system with a removable hard drive and a high definition drive. A wii will be worth nothing when the novelty wares of and you can do the same thing with the PS3 controler that you can with a wii anyways but the games are better on the PS3.

wallsy
25-02-2007, 03:38 PM
in 3 years you buy a new nintendo, and it will be better than todays PS3, and you have still spent less money, over the time, technology moves too fast to justify spending that kind of money on a Ps3, nintendo is fun cheap and cheerful. and the games have always been better to play. even back in the day. i suppose it's all to do with how much money you've (or parents have)got.

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 03:47 PM
In 3 years time you will need to buy a new nintendo because your one you have now will be very outdated but the PS3 will still probably be the best console that there is and when you buy your new nintendo you will have to buy all the new games for it and it will still not be as good as a PS3, dont forget a wii is just a gamecube with different controlers and wireless. The PS2 stayed at the same price for years and the PS3 will do the same.

Collider
25-02-2007, 03:56 PM
In 3 years time guys ther will probably be a new console of some sort and no-one will care about PS3 or a WII lol ;)

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Reading a bit on the internet and looking at some of the videos on youtube I would say its well worth the money and the games look a lot better than the xbox360 and has a lot more features.

Most techies have agreed their isn't much difference in the two if anything the 360 has the edge

wallsy
25-02-2007, 04:27 PM
scott thats my point,why go mad spending all that money, when you can get a console that for now is more fun to play, ok the games on the ps3 are very good looking, but in 3 years, games will be at a different level.

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 04:42 PM
scott thats my point,why go mad spending all that money, when you can get a console that for now is more fun to play, ok the games on the ps3 are very good looking, but in 3 years, games will be at a different level.

Ok wallsy you have nearly got your 15 posts under your belt :woot: but I dont know how you know that the wii is more fun than a PS3? have you played one, and I dont think that 425 is a to much money considering what you will be getting, and in 3 years time the PS3 will still be the best games console out there because it takes years to design and make these things and as far as I know there wont be anything to challange the PS3 in the near future. Nothing wrong with the wii BTW but I played better looking games 10 years ago on the dreamcast.

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Most techies have agreed their isn't much difference in the two if anything the 360 has the edge

The only edge the xbox has is its cheaper.

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 04:58 PM
The only edge the xbox has is its cheaper.

Yes the cheapest 360 is what ?199 (soon to be ?149) and the PS3 is ?424.99 ? You then have the developers who have agreed the 360 is much easier to work on and the biggest games developer EA Games who are pushing more for the 360

Face it Y2 the PS3 is no longer the king :)

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 05:07 PM
This goes into detial and a very good read,

Playstation 3 Vs XBox 360

DETAILED ANALYSIS OF PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATIONS

CPU
The Xbox 360 processor was designed to give game developers the power that they actually need, in an easy to use form. The Cell processor has impressive streaming floating-point power that is of limited use for games.

The majority of game code is a mixture of integer, floating-point, and vector math, with lots of branches and random memory accesses. This code is best handled by a general purpose CPU with a cache, branch predictor, and vector unit.

The Cell's seven DSPs (what Sony calls SPEs) have no cache, no direct access to memory, no branch predictor, and a different instruction set from the PS3's main CPU. They are not designed for or efficient at general purpose computing. DSPs are not appropriate for game programming.

Xbox 360 has three general purpose CPU cores. The Cell processor has only one.

Xbox 360's CPUs has vector processing power on each CPU core. Each Xbox 360 core has 128 vector registers per hardware thread, with a dot product instruction, and a shared 1-MB L2 cache. The Cell processor's vector processing power is mostly on the seven DSPs.

Dot products are critical to games because they are used in 3D math to calculate vector lengths, projections, transformations, and more. The Xbox 360 CPU has a dot product instruction, where other CPUs such as Cell must emulate dot product using multiple instructions.

Cell's streaming floating-point work is done on its seven DSP processors. Since geometry processing is moved to the GPU, the need for streaming floating-point work and other DSP style programming in games has dropped dramatically.

Just like with the PS2's Emotion Engine, with its missing L2 cache, the Cell is designed for a type of game programming that accounts for a minor percentage of processing time.

Sony's CPU is ideal for an environment where 12.5% of the work is general-purpose computing and 87.5% of the work is DSP calculations. That sort of mix makes sense for video playback or networked waveform analysis, but not for games. In fact, when analyzing real games one finds almost the opposite distribution of general purpose computing and DSP calculation requirements. A relatively small percentage of instructions are actually floating point. Of those instructions which are floating-point, very few involve processing continuous streams of numbers. Instead they are used in tasks like AI and path-finding, which require random access to memory and frequent branches, which the DSPs are ill-suited to.

Based on measurements of running next generation games, only ~10-30% of the instructions executed are floating point. The remainders of the instructions are load, store, integer, branch, etc. Even fewer of the instructions executed are streaming floating point?probably ~5-10%. Cell is optimized for streaming floating-point, with 87.5% of its cores good for streaming floating-point and nothing else.

Game programmers do not want to spread their code over eight processors, especially when seven of the processors are poorly suited for general purpose programming. Evenly distributing game code across eight processors is extremely difficult.

Game programmers do not want to spread their code over eight processors, especially when seven of the processors are poorly suited for general purpose programming. Evenly distributing game code across eight processors is extremely difficult.

GPU
Even ignoring the bandwidth limitations the PS3's GPU is not as powerful as the Xbox 360's GPU.

Below are the specs from Sony's press release regarding the PS3's GPU.

RSX GPU
550 MHz
Independent vertex/pixel shaders
51 billion dot products per second (total system performance)
300M transistors
136 "shader operations" per clock
The interesting ALU performance numbers are 51 billion dot products per second (total system performance), 300M transistors, and more than twice as powerful as the 6800 Ultra.

The 51 billions dot products per cycle were listed on a summary slide of total graphics system performance and are assumed to include the Cell processor. Sony's calculations seem to assume that the Cell can do a dot product per cycle per DSP, despite not having a dot product instruction.

However, using Sony's claim, 7 dot products per cycle * 3.2 GHz = 22.4 billion dot products per second for the CPU. That leaves 51 - 22.4 = 28.6 billion dot products per second that are left over for the GPU. That leaves 28.6 billion dot products per second / 550 MHz = 52 GPU ALU ops per clock.

It is important to note that if the RSX ALUs are similar to the GeForce 6800 ALUs then they work on vector4s, while the Xbox 360 GPU ALUs work on vector5s. The total programmable GPU floating point performance for the PS3 would be 52 ALU ops * 4 floats per op *2 (madd) * 550 MHz = 228.8 GFLOPS which is less than the Xbox 360's 48 ALU ops * 5 floats per op * 2 (madd) * 500 MHz= 240 GFLOPS.

With the number of transistors being slightly larger on the Xbox 360 GPU (330M) it's not surprising that the total programmable GFLOPs number is very close.

The PS3 does have the additional 7 DSPs on the Cell to add more floating point ops for graphics rendering, but the Xbox 360's three general purpose cores with custom D3D and dot product instructions are more customized for true graphics related calculations.

The 6800 Ultra has 16 pixel pipes, 6 vertex pipes, and runs at 400 MHz. Given the RSX's 2x better than a 6800 Ultra number and the higher frequency of the RSX, one can roughly estimate that it will have 24 pixel shading pipes and 4 vertex shading pipes (fewer vertex shading pipes since the Cell DSPs will do some vertex shading). If the PS3 GPU keeps the 6800 pixel shader pipe co-issue architecture which is hinted at in Sony's press release, this again gives it 24 pixel pipes* 2 issued per pipe + 4 vertex pipes = 52 dot products per clock in the GPU.

If the RSX follows the 6800 Ultra route, it will have 24 texture samplers, but when in use they take up an ALU slot, making the PS3 GPU in practice even less impressive. Even if it does manage to decouple texture fetching from ALU co-issue, it won't have enough bandwidth to fetch the textures anyways.

For shader operations per clock, Sony is most likely counting each pixel pipe as four ALU operations (co-issued vector+scalar) and a texture operation per pixel pipe and 4 scalar operations for each vector pipe, for a total of 24 * (4 + 1) + (4*4) = 136 operations per cycle or 136 * 550 = 74.8 GOps per second.

Given the Xbox 360 GPU's multithreading and balanced design, you really can't compare the two systems in terms of shading operations per clock. However, the Xbox 360's GPU can do 48 ALU operations (each can do a vector4 and scalar op per clock), 16 texture fetches, 32 control flow operations, and 16 programmable vertex fetch operations with tessellation per clock for a total of 48*2 + 16 + 32 + 16 = 160 operations per cycle or 160 * 500 = 80 GOps per second.

Overall, the automatic shader load balancing, memory export features, programmable vertex fetching, programmable triangle tesselator, full rate texture fetching in the vertex shader, and other "well beyond shader model 3.0" features of the Xbox 360 GPU should also contribute to overall rendering performance.

Bandwidth
The PS3 has 22.4 GB/s of GDDR3 bandwidth and 25.6 GB/s of RDRAM bandwidth for a total system bandwidth of 48 GB/s.

The Xbox 360 has 22.4 GB/s of GDDR3 bandwidth and a 256 GB/s of EDRAM bandwidth for a total of 278.4 GB/s total system bandwidth.

Why does the Xbox 360 have such an extreme amount of bandwidth? Even the simplest calculations show that a large amount of bandwidth is consumed by the frame buffer. For example, with simple color rendering and Z testing at 550 MHz the frame buffer alone requires 52.8 GB/s at 8 pixels per clock. The PS3's memory bandwidth is insufficient to maintain its GPU's peak rendering speed, even without texture and vertex fetches.

The PS3 uses Z and color compression to try to compensate for the lack of memory bandwidth. The problem with Z and color compression is that the compression breaks down quickly when rendering complex next-generation 3D scenes.

HDR, alpha-blending, and anti-aliasing require even more memory bandwidth. This is why Xbox 360 has 256 GB/s bandwidth reserved just for the frame buffer. This allows the Xbox 360 GPU to do Z testing, HDR, and alpha blended color rendering with 4X MSAA at full rate and still have the entire main bus bandwidth of 22.4 GB/s left over for textures and vertices.

CONCLUSION
When you break down the numbers, Xbox 360 has provably more performance than PS3. Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance. The truth is that both systems pack a lot of power for high definition games and entertainment.

However, hardware performance, while important, is only a third of the puzzle. Xbox 360 is a fusion of hardware, software and services. Without the software and services to power it, even the most powerful hardware becomes inconsequential. Xbox 360 games?by leveraging cutting-edge hardware, software, and services?will outperform the PlayStation 3

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Yes the cheapest 360 is what ?199 (soon to be ?149) and the PS3 is ?424.99 ? You then have the developers who have agreed the 360 is much easier to work on and the biggest games developer EA Games who are pushing more for the 360
Face it Y2 the PS3 is no longer the king :)

You might be right as I have seen very few games that are for the PS3 but what I have seen I like, gran turismo hd concept and the spiderman 3 game are the best games I have ever seen. The only problem with the PS3 is the high price but that will come down in time and people will choose to have the PS3.

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 05:28 PM
I was already looking at the specs of the 2 consoles together and they were always neck and neck but the advantage of the PS3 was the availability to play proper HD games unlike the 360.

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I was already looking at the specs of the 2 consoles together and they were always neck and neck but the advantage of the PS3 was the availability to play proper HD games unlike the 360.

So you never spotted the problem about the slow drive which has meant them having to double the data at times to try and speed it up ?

The 360 may only have a standard DVD drive now but its faster which means faster loading and if a game is too big for one DVD swapping to a second DVD isn't a problem in my book. You also have to look at the price of the PS3 games something like ?60 because of the bluerays media costs added on

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Blueray discs are dear now but will come down in price when loads of different companies start making them, I remember when it was 12 quid to buy a blank dvd and the dvd films were 40-50 quid.

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Blueray discs are dear now but will come down in price when loads of different companies start making them, I remember when it was 12 quid to buy a blank dvd and the dvd films were 40-50 quid.

That will only come down if Blueray takes up but don't forget the speed of the drive the PS3 uses works out at x4 which is very slow at transfering the huge amounts of data the PS3 needs which has led some developers to duplicate the data to try and speed things up lol

I think the XBOX 360 has a x16 speed drive

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 05:54 PM
It is a 2x blu-ray drive that operates at the same speed as a 12x dvd drive and it says if they do make a 20gb game the only bad thing will be the game will take longer to load. I dont have a scoobydo about blu-ray but think they must have different requirements than dvds.

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 06:13 PM
If you're really after a PS3 I really think you should do somemore reading on it

PS3's Blu-ray drive speed could be reason for Oblivion delay

GameSetWatch has singled out a tidbit about the PlayStation 3 version of Oblivion that's sure to ignite fanboy ire. According to comments made by Bethesda's Todd Howard in the latest issue of EGM, the development team is using extra space on the Blu-ray disc to duplicate crucial data and improve load times. "Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity], and Blu-ray is slower," Howard told EGM.

This is a sketchy workaround, as it could be susceptible to issues caused by data irregularities; GSW notes, "What happens if you don't have your pieces of data correctly sync-ed and one of them is an old version of an object/piece of code and one is a newer version?" A better, albeit unpopular solution, is to include an option to install a chunk of a game directly onto the hard drive (Genji has this option; so does Ridge Racer). Bethesda's use of the extra Blu-ray disc capacity is clever, but hopefully won't become the standard.

Overall, we know that the Xbox 360 drive reads data faster than PS3's. While the Blu-ray drive might consistently read data at the same speed, the 360 drive is faster at reading data on the outer layers of the DVD disc; and that's were devs tend to put the biggest files.

PS3 Loads To Be Sloooooow

More wild-eyed computations on why the 360 is superior to the PS3, this time (again) courtesy of lippy Microsoft blogger boy Ozymandias, who looks upon the PS3's works and despairs.

His basic point is that the PS3 loads are going to be molasses-slow. Blu-Ray might have its perks, but loading times aren't one of them. Compared to the 360's 12x DVD drive, transferring speeds at 16MB/second, the PS3's Blu-Ray drive limps along at 2x speed, transferring at 9MB/second.

What this means to people with cyberoptic jacks in their cerebellum, I have no idea. To me, it insinuates thirty second grinds as Final Fantasy XIII loads up it's next obnoxious random monster encounter

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I could look through the internet to find out bad points about the xbox 360 but I have no need to my point is its a console for playing games and some of the games that you get for the PS3 look a lot better than the ones you get for the 360. And im sure if the 2 consoles were the same price you would pick the PS3 as well and so would most other people. Looking at your post the drive in the PS3 is the same speed as the one in the xbox and it probably takes longer to load because the games are better looking.

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Don't you think thats a serous flaw though Y2 ? All that data on Blueray and they push it on a slow speed drive.

Ps I don't agree with you about the PS3 games being better looking but each to they're own

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Don't you think thats a serous flaw though Y2 ? All that data on Blueray and they push it on a slow speed drive.
Ps I don't agree with you about the PS3 games being better looking but each to they're own

Do you fully understand the way blu-ray works? I dont so couldnt comment on it but I will say that I dont mind waiting a bit longer for the game to load if its going to look better. I dont mean all the games on PS3 look better than the xbox but there is a noticable difference in some of the PS3 games compaired to the 360 ones.

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Do you fully understand the way blu-ray works? I

It comes down to basically storying more information like the HD-DVD but Sony has put a slow speed drive in the PS3 and as I have shown some developers are already having problems with it and its really that simple

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 07:29 PM
It comes down to basically storying more information like the HD-DVD but Sony has put a slow speed drive in the PS3 and as I have shown some developers are already having problems with it and its really that simple

Developers can have problems with it thats ok but what has that got to do with people playing games if they can still make them? As I already said the drive is the same speed in the PS3 as it is in the 360 and I dont care how long it takes to load some "not all" games.

wallsy
25-02-2007, 07:45 PM
well i see i've upset you with the console discussion, sorry for that, we will agree to disagree, i think all points are valid, some take them to heart some dont, its just a discussion. take my points away, if you think thats the only reason i'm here. i'll leave that up to you. have a nice day. :)

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 07:55 PM
I dont think anyone took it to heart, I know ship has made some valid points as he always does but you can look on the internet and find good and bad things about everything, probably the same as asking whats the best a Ferrari or a Aston Martin I like Aston Martin but will always get someone that thinks a Ferrari is better. The fact is they are the best 2 gaming consoles out there at the minute and some people might like one more than the other and I probably like the PS3 more because I dont like microsoft but I still think the PS3 will be better.

Shipoftheline
25-02-2007, 08:15 PM
As I already said the drive is the same speed in the PS3 as it is in the 360 and I dont care how long it takes to load some "not all" games.

Its not for loading data and when you are playing in real time and if the machine needs the data in real time the speed of the drive is not good. We've seen that the 360 can get twice as much data through and thats very important as I'm sure you'll agree

well i see i've upset you with the console discussion, sorry for that, we will agree to disagree, i think all points are valid, some take them to heart some dont, its just a discussion. take my points away, if you think thats the only reason i'm here. i'll leave that up to you. have a nice day. :)

Bah no one is upset everyone has they're own opinion. I used to think the PS2 was great that was until I got the XBOX and seen what it could do but some people still hold on to the Playstation name

DJMEE
26-02-2007, 07:27 PM
i heard that ps3 games will only play on the machine that first played it, i.e you can't take it to your mates and play it on his, is this true???

y2krog2000
26-02-2007, 08:18 PM
i heard that ps3 games will only play on the machine that first played it, i.e you can't take it to your mates and play it on his, is this true???

No that was only a rumor, you can put the game on 5 different machines and share it with your friends but if you do this only one of you will be able to play online at a time.

Shipoftheline
27-02-2007, 09:32 AM
so the rumour about them trying to stop the second hand market of PS3 games is true (keeping the price's up)

y2krog2000
27-02-2007, 09:39 AM
so the rumour about them trying to stop the second hand market of PS3 games is true (keeping the price's up)

You can put the game on 5 consoles at one time and play the game but you can only play online on 1 console at a time, if you can afford 5 different PS3's then you can afford to buy another copy for one of the other machines.

Shipoftheline
27-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Thing is not everyone has got ?500 to throw around willy nilly

zulm
03-03-2007, 09:50 AM
not worth it at the moment. maybe if you wanted a cheap blu-ray player then its worth forking out for

Diablo13
17-10-2007, 12:45 AM
I got an email today from either Dabs or Komplett, can't remember which, selling PS 3's for ?250 or there abouts. They had the60 gig HDD but were not backwards compatible with the PS 2. Sounds like a real bargain because you still get the Blu Ray player and a game I think.
Shame I deleted the email or I would have linked to it.

y2krog2000
18-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I got an email today from either Dabs or Komplett, can't remember which, selling PS 3's for ?250 or there abouts. They had the60 gig HDD but were not backwards compatible with the PS 2. Sounds like a real bargain because you still get the Blu Ray player and a game I think.
Shame I deleted the email or I would have linked to it.

Probably wasnt from dabs as its not on their site for that price and I get their emails to but Komplett have it for 273 for the 40gb one, cheapest ive seen yet.

Diablo13
18-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Komplett.co.uk - Sony PlayStation 3, 40 GB, SIXAXIS controller (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Thats the 1 I meant and I found the link. Excellent price if you want a Blu Ray player and are not bothered about PS2 games.

Diablo13
20-10-2007, 02:20 AM
The only problem I have with blu ray is I can't afford a Blu ray burner. I have a lot of "backups" of PS2 games and still think it's the best machine because of all the variety of games and support for it. True it may not be as pretty or as fast as a PS3 or an XBox 360, but I have had hours of fun with it. Super graphics may look nice, but for me playability of games is the most important feature. If a PS3 was priced as in my link and was backwards compatible then I would be interested because then I wouldn't have to shell out again on all new games. :-?

Diablo13
20-10-2007, 04:14 PM
In case anyone is interested in a PS3, I got an email from DABS today with a bundle offer including a game for ?299.99. here is the link;

dabs.com - Sony Playstation 3 40GB (PLAYSTATION 3) (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4r74#bundles)

y2krog2000
22-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I was out at the shops yesterday and a few different shops had the same sort of deal for the PS3, mostly 60gb version with Resistance Fall of Man and 1 pick and mix game for 349 but think it only came with 1 wireless controler. Tempting but would wait to see what the price is like around christmas. Oh and it was 299 for the same deal but with the 40gb version.

Diablo13
22-10-2007, 08:42 PM
If thats high street prices then they seem to have dropped a lot in 8 months or so. Obviously they need to shift them for some cash back and to try to ensure that Blu ray is a success. After all once you get a PS3 chances are all your future bought dvd films will be in Blu ray format instead of HD.
You may be right about Xmas, but it's a funny time of year where people spend more money than they've got, on things they don't need, so the price may not drop again until January.:-?

el mahico
13-12-2007, 12:17 PM
the 360 is far more user friendly, the online menues, friends list, d/l sections...new divx playback... just rips it up..!

bwfcjeff
14-12-2007, 11:03 AM
I swear by the ps3 mate, wherelse can you get a games console that also plays blu-ray discs which are the future, the graphics are also miles better.

Diablo13
14-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I personally don't believe that Blu Ray is the disk of the future, though Sony would like it to be. You would have thought they would have learned their lesson from the VHS Betamax fiasco. Blue ray may have a future for high capacity data disks but my money is on HD as far as future film content is concerned. :-?

y2krog2000
14-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Think both HD and Blu Ray have been in the pipeline for a good while now and a lot of money was spent getting both ready for the market so Sony would have been stupid to waste all that money by not trying what they already have made, I have a few blu-ray films rips and can tell you that the picture quality is 1st class but then again so is hd-dvd. I think the future is machines that can play both blu-ray and hd-dvd and there are a few of these already on the market, something that the video recorders couldnt do but as you will be able to buy machines that play both you should be able to buy the discs for both so you should still be able to get the films for a PS3.

Diablo13
14-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Thats a very good point y2k about the dual format players. As far as I know Blu Ray and HDD were both in development at the same time but Sony were pipped at the post because they had development problems. They knew this, but had no choice but to carry on to recoup investment capital, relying on the PS3's fan base to popularize it. As it was an in house development by Sony they hold the license and stood(or stand) to make a killing in the market with the Blu Ray format. They really needed to do this as the development costs were huge even for a company as big as them.
The advent of third party players with dual compatability will do them no favors as unless they can get their share of the license from the manufacturers, they will not get a big enough share of the pie and that could be disasterous for them.

y2krog2000
14-12-2007, 10:59 PM
they will not get a big enough share of the pie and that could be disasterous for them.

Well they have only got themselves to blame for that, Sony is a good make for tv's, dvd players and consoles but when it comes to computers, mp3 players and anything else they can force their software onto they will. I couldnt believe all the Sony rubbish that was on my laptop when I got it and it all said either Sony or Google on it and a lot of it didnt even work.

Diablo13
15-12-2007, 01:16 AM
I completely agree m8. They do make some good stuff but in this case they may be the victims of their own greed. I use Sonic stage sometimes (which is a Sony app), to put music on to a friends Walkman. Sometimes it works great, but other times it decides what it will let you transfer or not, which is a real pain. They want you to buy their expensive kit but seem to go out of their way to restrict its use. :mad:

y2krog2000
15-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I completely agree m8. They do make some good stuff but in this case they may be the victims of their own greed. I use Sonic stage sometimes (which is a Sony app), to put music on to a friends Walkman. Sometimes it works great, but other times it decides what it will let you transfer or not, which is a real pain. They want you to buy their expensive kit but seem to go out of their way to restrict its use. :mad:
Yep I got some sonic stuff on my laptop to, I bought the Sony NWZ-A818 (Sony MP3 Walkman) and I think its the 1st from sony with no sonic stage and its the 1st award winning mp3 player they have ever had and that says a lot as its the exact same as the NW-A808 whuch has been out for a while but the one only difference is the one I bought has no sonic stage.

Back to the PS3 I know someone that knows naff all about computers and they were able to set up a wireless connection with the PS3 to play online, download games etc and says everything about the PS3 is a lot better than his 360, there are a lot more games for the 360 atm and thats the only advantage it has over the PS3 in my eyes. But there is a good list now of PS3 games that are coming out soon >> List of PlayStation 3 games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games)

y2krog2000
17-12-2007, 04:40 PM
It must have been just a rumor and I read some of the stories about it as well, but it cant be true because the video shops beside me rent out PS3 games.

pande_monium
17-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I'll start by saying I'm a PS3 fan... out-and-out. So, you may perhaps want to look the other way ;p.

One thing I noticed in this thread was - "price comparison". The 360 owners have very conveniently overlooked the price of a HD-Drive + HD upgrade whilst comparing the 2 consoles. Its only fair to compare an apple to an apple. But, if you do that, it makes the 360 look even worse!

My reasons why a PS3 is better (again, these are personal, but don't see why anyone may want to disagree):

The PS3 does NOT crash (well... never has for me). I can actually stop here and walk away. I would have still proven my point. Nothing more need be said !! Or perhaps, I can say, its NOT from Microsoft... either's equally thought provoking !
No issues about quality of drives/drive-not-reading-errors/etc. I don't need to take my PS3 into the dealers every 2-3 months to fix the dozens of h/w issues. I've got friends who cringe at the very mention of a 360... because they bought one! Of course, this isn't a rule, but there's too many complaints to ignore. Just trawl the net and you'll see what I mean.
Blue-Ray, SACD, mpeg4, etc player OOB. No adding of HD Drive!! Just one nice sleek, sexy looking box which does everything... and more.
Sony has learnt from its earlier mistakes of ring-fencing its products so that they cannot be used for anything else than their designed purpose.
Great looking & stable OS.
Pretty much guaranteed to work OOB. I mean the setup/etc.
Regular updates from Sony (Sony seems to be listening to the feedback from its fanbase)
Can be used as a Linux PC & be dual-booted to work as one. I mean... does the 360 even consider this in the remotest of its thoughts? A great toy for extremists like me.
DVD-upscaling, HDMI/coax/optical outputs... something for everybody.
4xUSB + Memory card readers... limitless storage possibilities. Upgradeable HDD... without voiding warranty... even better !
BD-DVD Games... so no getting up from a really comfy position to flip discs! Why on earth would you even want to do that when you're playing a game !?!
PS3 Eye. Gives the Wii a run for its money. I do believe Sony will look at pushing the Eye as a direct competetion for the Wii games. You don't even need a controller!! Just stand in front of the camera and you're 'it'!
I've probably missed a few points too... but remember, I should have ideally stopped after point # 1 ;p.I'll agree with Y2K... its only let down by the games that are available at the moment. But, this lead is fast disappearing... games like COD3, Oblivion, D:UF, COD4, Assassin's Creed, Jericho, Spiderman have proven the point that the PS3 can make absolutely fantastic games. Plus, those that are coming out this Christmas will make the ground firmer for the PS3.

People think that Sony made a mistake by including the BD player on the PS3s. But, I believe, this one decision will win the BD-HD war for Sony. The BD-players far outnumber the HD players today. Think about what's going to happen post-Christmas. Especially now that the slightly trimmed but better ?270 40-Gb version is out.

I'd have thought, if anyone wants to compare the 360 Premium, you should do so with the down scaled 40-GB PS3 !!

Is it worth it? Hell, yeah !

Shipoftheline
18-12-2007, 10:48 AM
The PS3 does NOT crash (well... never has for me). I can actually stop here and walk away. I would have still proven my point. Nothing more need be said !! Or perhaps, I can say, its NOT from Microsoft... either's equally thought provoking
Firstly my 360 hasn't crashed and your later comment just shows your anti Microsoft so not giving an honest opinion.

No issues about quality of drives/drive-not-reading-errors/etc. I don't need to take my PS3 into the dealers every 2-3 months to fix the dozens of h/w issues.
Touch wood, not had a problem with hardware and I'm happy with the DVDrom because it's faster than the Ps3 drive which helps with loading time ;)

TBlue-Ray, SACD, mpeg4, etc player OOB. No adding of HD Drive!! Just one nice sleek, sexy looking box which does everything... and more.
360 does mpeg4 and not interested in hd-dvd or blueray

Great looking & stable OS.
Are you kidding it looks like a george foreman grill & the NT kernal in the 360 is great plus alot easier for the programmers to work with

Pretty much guaranteed to work OOB. I mean the setup/etc.
Aren't they all :56:

Regular updates from Sony (Sony seems to be listening to the feedback from its fanbase)
360 has just had another update

Can be used as a Linux PC & be dual-booted to work as one. I mean... does the 360 even consider this in the remotest of its thoughts? A great toy for extremists like me.
I think you'll find we already have computers so why would you want to turn a console into one ?
Wont bother reading the rest because it's clear you haven't really thought it through

berley
18-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Wont bother reading the rest because it's clear you haven't really thought it through

id disagree with you on that one, i think pande has given a lot of thought to his reply and expressed his opinion nicely

Hunter
18-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Firstly my 360 hasn't crashed and your later comment just shows your anti Microsoft so not giving an honest opinion.

Touch wood, not had a problem with hardware and I'm happy with the DVDrom because it's faster than the Ps3 drive which helps with loading time ;)

360 does mpeg4 and not interested in hd-dvd or blueray

Are you kidding it looks like a george foreman grill & the NT kernal in the 360 is great plus alot easier for the programmers to work with

Aren't they all :56:

360 has just had another update

I think you'll find we already have computers so why would you want to turn a console into one ?
i,m not gonna quote all the for and againsts but heres my peneths worth whilst owning a 360 and ps3

it common knowledge that microsoft suck being there the biggest ones out there,

yes the 360 does crash
no the update hasnt made a diference and no i,m not against microsoft

graphics's in my eyes are better on the 360

but for stability, i have to agree with panda on this one

i,v owned a ps3 for one week and all is running great
during my first week of owning the 360 it crashed twice

value for usability and stability for me makes the ps3 "in my eyes" a better buy

would i get rid of my xbox??? no way:goodluck:

consoles into computers?????????

just look how popular the amega was

nj2006
18-12-2007, 12:51 PM

come on now im sure the post was thought out very well it even has bullet points. lol

me personally i dont like consoles just because all you can do is play games.

so the fact the ps3 is flexable on the os side would draw me and im sure meny more people like myself to it.

i have had most the consoles and just got rid after a month but i still got my modded xbox 1 because of the pure fact you can make it do things and play.

i dont know how you could compare xbox 360 to a ps3 thou when at the moment in my opinion the xbox 1 has a better media player than the 360.

but remember forums are full of diffrent opinions and what i think isnt the nessercerly what the next person thinks.

no disrespect ship m8 but i think from reading pande 's other posts around the forum i have to say he has to be one the meny people who do think about his posts. and when you say he aint thought about his posts its a bit disrespectfull, just because he doesnt agree with you

Shipoftheline
18-12-2007, 01:23 PM
it common knowledge that microsoft suck being there the biggest ones out there

Think you'll find it's mostly Linux people who hate Microsoft as most people use Windows because they prefer it over the FREE alternative which annoys the hell out out of them lol

pande_monium
18-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Firstly, I'll apologise if I've messed anybody's feelings up. That never was/is/will be my intention.

Ship, my friend...

I'm not against Microsoft. I've been with them through their evolution of OS right from DOS right through to Vista! If you see my previous post about comparing Windows to Mac OS X, I've stated categorically that Windows is by far a much more productive OS from a working environment. It also has a lot more softwares by 3rd parties. However, the OS X is more stable, more fun, more intuitive & helps artistic evolution.
In this case however, I am. MS could have made the XBOX so much better by making its OS more robust and offering, if not the same, then similar facilities like the PS3. In the 1.5 year lead that they've had over the PS3, they've hardly improved the 360 ! In the 6 months the PS3 has been out, the updates have allowed better backward compatibility, decoding of more codecs, upscaling to 1080p... etc etc...
I'm glad that your 360 has never crashed (touch wood too). But, I do know of people who's 360s have. There's 3 people in my close friends' circle who suffer from the 360s OS & build quality. 1 had to get his drive & hdd replaced. 1 had a problem with his fan. All of them have problems with their OS & have taken them in for fixing something or the other. All this costs money, increasing the cost of ownership. When I compare that to 4 people I know (besides myself) who have PS3s, none of us (touch wood again) have had problems with our PS3s.
When you compare 2 products, you can't really say that you're not interested in HD/BD playback facilities... that's what makes 1 system more appealing than the other.
Yes, you'd expect most systems to be working OOB, but the simplicity & easy by which the PS3 is up and running, connected to the net, setup to the amp, chatting to mates, etc is fantastic.
I'm glad the 360 has had the update. Perhaps it needed it.
Turning a console into a computer/media station/etc may not be everybody's idea of fun or recreation. Personally, I like my PS3 with Ubuntu/Fedora on its 2nd partition in order to browse the internet, read/write emails, read/write documents, stream movies from the net, download mp3, listen to the radio, FTP & networking, etc..... and oh yes, play games too! ;p
I currently have the following PAID licenses from Microsoft - 2 x XP Prof + 1 Office 2003 Prof + Visio + Project + innumerable support softwares like dvd-cloners/etc. Add to this, the various versions of Dos till 6.22 & Win 3.0 onwards till 2000. I've also got Mac OS X Tiger & Mac OS X Leopard... paid for. I do pay for the stuff I use, my friend. So, your last comment may perhaps not be applicable to me.
I still thank you for reading what you did. At least it invoked a thought.Everybody else : I thank you for your kind words of support. Much appreciated. :hail:

Shipoftheline
18-12-2007, 08:35 PM
pande_monium very nice but like with the last gen I'll listen to those who have both consoles and thus far the majority I've read have said the 360 is way better end off ;)

pande_monium
18-12-2007, 09:13 PM
I'll listen to those who have both consoles and thus far the majority I've read have said the 360 is way better end off

Its true I don't own a 360. But, I've played on one often enough to know the difference. Might I be audacious enough to quote the following for your kind perusal & ponderance...

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence - John Quincy Adams

kyleo
18-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I hope it is having just bought the kids 1 for xmas. Seems that people are divided no yes/no.

ps - what titles would you recommend?

Diablo13
19-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Firstly thanks to all the contributors of this thread for an interesting discussion so far. I single out pandemonium and Shipoftheline especially for their pro and contra views. This is the kind of thread I enjoy where other peoples experience of something is particularly helpful to others. It's coming up Xmas and both consoles are not cheap to buy, so opinions outside of the industry can be very useful in helping people to decide which one they would like to get.
For my own part I used to own an Xbox 360, but I got bored with it quite quickly and sold it. Yes you can stream music and video from a pc to it, which was fun for a while. BUT, to watch a film or listen to music this way you are running the pc, the console, the tv and probably extra speakers as well. Thats a lot of power when you can just use an audio system or a dvd player. As for games, every one says how great the graphics are on an Xbox 360 and I agree. However graphics alone do not make a game and playability and interest comes out on top for me. It's ok if you are in to driving games or sports games or shooting games, theres a lot of them. I personally prefer rpg's and there is a shortage of them on the 360.
Before my 360 I had various Nintendo consoles, (not incuding the WII), which were fun in their day. My last was a chipped PS2, which has died and I still mourn it's passing. Yes it took time to load and the graphics weren't great, but Final Fantasy, Castlevania etc, were great fun, no matter how many times I played them. It was and still is to me the greatest console ever, because it was affordable, had a lot of games at launch, was backwards compatible and it was so far ahead of it's time. Microsoft had not even dreamed of a console system when it came out!
There is one huge advantage the 360 has for me and that is that I can copy games for it. The one huge disadvantage of the PS3 is I CAN'T copy games for it. If the PS3 would play my back catalogue of original PS2 and PS1 games it would make it more viable for me as it would make the games catalogue huge for it. If it could be made to play my backups as well that would be the icing on the cake and I would have one tomorrow.
At the moment I have my pc for playing high quality graphically intense games, as well as multitasking very nicely thank you. True I can't play them on my big telly, but a 22" monitor works just as well if your sat in front of it.
On balance, I would quite like a PS3 because I loved my PS2, but I am in no rush because as it develops and more games become available and the price inevitably drops and other third party firmware comes on line, it will become, for me at least, a much more attractive proposition.
Unless the Xbox 720 or PS 4 are out by then and I will have to re evaluate things?

Shipoftheline
19-12-2007, 09:05 AM
On balance, I would quite like a PS3 because I loved my PS2

Don't think the new 40GB PS3 is backward compatible ?

renwich
19-12-2007, 11:54 AM
dont think he said it was, I think the quote was

My last was a chipped PS2, which has died and I still mourn it's passing. Yes it took time to load and the graphics weren't great, but Final Fantasy, Castlevania etc, were great fun, no matter how many times I played them. It was and still is to me the greatest console ever, because it was affordable, had a lot of games at launch, was backwards compatible

If the PS3 would play my back catalogue of original PS2 and PS1 games

I dont own either console and Ive found this thread enlightening

thanks to all

Shipoftheline
19-12-2007, 12:16 PM
True but he did say his ps2 was fried and I was trying to help by pointing this out!

pande_monium
19-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Some VERY valid points made by Diablo. I simply cannot disagree. Just reiterating & summarising:

Yes, its very true that the current game set does not do justice to the PS3's true abilities. I think the scenario will change post-Christmas as more games come out and exploit the PS3 gaming abilities.
Yes, the 40Gb PS3 is not backward compatible. The 60Gb is backward compatible though. I saw someone's post earlier about him wanting the 40gb instead because he didn't have any PS2 games to play... you may want to contact him to swap a 40gb PS3 with his 60gb PS3.
Yes, the PS3 could benefit with being chipped to play backups. It'll help sell more consoles & make it a more pleasing buy. The 360 has a head start of 1.5 years and benefits from that.
Yes, the PS3 can do all the streaming/playing dvd/music/etc all by itself. No PC required.
You can get a PS2, chip it & play your games... or you can 'donate' them to a 'needy b@stard' like me ;p.
You can actually play the games on your PC to your telly... but that's a different discussion ;p.

Diablo13
19-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Yes, the 40Gb PS3 is not backward compatible. The 60Gb is backward compatible though.
I thought the 60gb PS3 bought in the UK was NOT backwards compatible, unlike the Japanese or American version?

Yes, the PS3 could benefit with being chipped to play backups. It'll help sell more consoles & make it a more pleasing buy. The 360 has a head start of 1.5 years and benefits from that.
I completely agree, which is why it may be worth waiting. When the PS3 has been out a bit longer it is possible that the firmware or chipset may be made "available", perhaps leaked by Sony themselves to boost sales. They obviously have to support games developers, but after a while these things have a habit of appearing on the net, which boosts sales tremendously. The problem then would be an affordable home PC Blu Ray burner?Yes, the PS3 can do all the streaming/playing dvd/music/etc all by itself. No PC required.
If you don,t use a PC, where do you stream it from? I am thinking of files you already have not some you need to pay to download from an external source. I know it sounds tight but funds are finite.
You can get a PS2, chip it & play your games... or you can 'donate' them to a 'needy b@stard' like me ;p.
LOL nice try , "A " for effort.
You can actually play the games on your PC to your telly... but that's a different discussion ;p
I presume the PC has to be in the same room to do that, but mine isn't?

I'm not being critical of your post pande, it's a good one, just looking for further information. :-?

y2krog2000
19-12-2007, 06:28 PM
If you don,t use a PC, where do you stream it from? I am thinking of files you already have not some you need to pay to download from an external source. I know it sounds tight but funds are finite.

Wireless network hard drive, I think you can do this with a 360 but have not tried it yet and you should be able to plug in an external hard drive with films, music and pics on it and watch them to.

pande_monium
19-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Grab a coffee/beer/tea (whatever) and sit down... this looks like a long one.

I thought the 60gb PS3 bought in the UK was NOT backwards compatible, unlike the Japanese or American version?

The backward compatibility on the PS3 in the UK is based on the software. Those in the US & Japan have a chip dedicated to do that.
I've played loads of PS2 games on my PS3. My cousin's sons come over with their games too and have a riot ! Don't know which particular ones are not compatible though... I've played NFS:Carbon, Singstar, Play to name a few.
As I said earlier... 'donate' your games to me for this 'just' cause... and I'll ensure that they're well tested on the PS3 ;p.

The problem then would be an affordable home PC Blu Ray burner?

Burners are already down from ?1k to under ?300. Give it a few more months and you'll be looking at BD-burners under ?100.

Having said this... I've disc-copied a PS3 game to a BD (actually 2... thought I'd toasted the 1st one!) and tried them on the PS3 with funny results. The PS3 actually recognised the disc as a game, but refused to play it. So, its obviously something that I did wrong or perhaps did not follow a secret procedure. At about ?20 a disc, I wasn't willing to 'invest' any more into my whims! Call me a chicken... yes, I gave up.

Ok... there's multiple ways to do this.

Use a media server. Connect a NAS + Network Media Server HDD to your network with all your music/video/photos on it. Search for a Media server on the network via the PS3 and there you have it !
Stream from the internet via the 'other os' which could be Fedora or Ubuntu or any othe flavour of OS which supports the PS3 architecture.
Say... you're listending to Radio 1 on the internet in Ubuntu on the PS3. Now, remember your SPDIF connection is already connected to your amp because you also use the PS3 to play games (doh!)... so just switch the amp on and you should have music. I can't remember if I had to change any settings, but will dig into this more later.
This I haven't tried... but don't see why it shouldn't work:
- The PS3 is already connected to the internet, right?
- So, what's stopping us from going to a website which streams music & listen to it on the hi-fi? Hmmm... project for the weekend methinks !!
LOL nice try , "A " for effort.

So, do I take that as a 'YES' ?? :banana4:I knew you'd see reason.

I presume the PC has to be in the same room to do that, but mine isn't?

Well, yes. To get the same quality, yes, this would be a constraint.

But, if you're not too bothered about the picture quality (which you should be!) there's an option which could work. Remember those a/v transmitters which allow you to stream your sky stuff from one room to another?

I'm not being critical of your post pande, it's a good one, just looking for further information.

Don't be silly. I know you're not being critical. I honestly do welcome criticism because it helps the evolution of knowledge. I'm here to learn, because everybody here seems to know a lot more than I do !! I feel like a kid running amock in a candy store !

The only thing I don't respect is a "closed mind" & a "know-it-all attitude".

pande_monium
19-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Wireless network hard drive, I think you can do this with a 360 but have not tried it yet and you should be able to plug in an external hard drive with films, music and pics on it and watch them to.

Its quite funny Y2... but my PS3 won't recognise audio which is not on a CD/DVD/Media Server or its own hdd for some reason.

I think I may have a settings issue (my audio is set at 48khz instead of auto or 44.1) and most songs are normally encoded at 44.1. Hmm... something else I need to try this weekend.

Diablo13
20-12-2007, 03:56 AM
Thanks to both of you for the updates and ideas. I must admit I'm warming even more to the idea of having a PS3, though I can't afford it yet as I have just got a new graphics card, motherboard and a few bits and bobs for my pc.
I don't blame you at all for not carrying on with trying to burn BD disks at that price. I got pi$$ed off when a dual layer disk didn't work on the 360 and they didn't cost 20 quid each.
The idea of an affordable BD burner makes the chances of a software or hardware hack seem even more likely in the near future and conversely, this would do the PS3 no harm at all in terms of console sales.
Interesting thoughts on streaming from a NAS drive and internet music channels. Not thought of this before, though I did try a 4gb memory stick in the 360 I think and it didn't want to know.
Pande you got your "A" for effort, NOT Achievement, so I will hang on to the games a while longer, :troutslap:
Your not the only one who can feel "technically challenged" on here and you know far more than me. I am a little old to feel like a kid in a sweet shop, but it's fun trying when no one is looking :wink:. About 4 years ago when I first touched a computer and it worked I found Kazaa and started getting music I hadn't heard in years. LOL I felt like a kid in a sweetshop then. :d: How sad is that!
If you get time to experiment this close to Christmas your lucky, but please update me what worked and what didn't.
Oh bugger I'm talking myself into getting a PS3 I cant afford at the moment! :banghead:

pande_monium
20-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Not sure if it will recognise a simple NAS drive. It'll work splendidly with a Network Media Server HDD. As I also said in the post to Y2K, it doesn't recognise music on the the memory cards/usb hdd for some reason. Its probably because of my settings, but I'm not sure.

:moan: !! So much for the charity work that I was hoping to do :dam:

Not sad at all my friend ! Knowledge surmounts ALL bounds. All it needs is a little willingness or desire to learn. Everyone who comes to forums like these has that desire. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here.

As a smart man once said - Look back to know where you are today. Look ahead to know where you want to be tomorrow.

I've got loads of DIY to catch up on. Have taken 2 weeks off to do just that... oh man... where do I start !?! But I think I may get some time for this. I'll update you either way.

y2krog2000
20-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Not sure if it will recognise a simple NAS drive. It'll work splendidly with a Network Media Server HDD. As I also said in the post to Y2K, it doesn't recognise music on the the memory cards/usb hdd for some reason. Its probably because of my settings, but I'm not sure.

Yea your right I think it depends on what hard network hard drive you get but the only one I read that someone had a problem with was a mybook NAS, was thinking about upgrading my external hard drive the other week and when I looked into it I read that if I was to get a network hard drive and plug it into my router via ethernet then it would stream the files to my 360 or I could get a wireless NAS but they are to expensive so the same thing should apply to a PS3 I would have thought. I have not tried to play back anything on the 360 from an external hard drive yet but would think that it should work as the external hard drive is self powered and the 360 is capable of playing the files that are on it. I cant fault the 360 when it comes to streaming music and videos via WMP to it after the DivX update the other week it works perfectly even with the 1080p HD trailers that I downloaded from the microsoft site.

pande_monium
22-12-2007, 04:11 AM
I cant fault the 360 when it comes to streaming music and videos via WMP to it after the DivX update the other week it works perfectly even with the 1080p HD trailers that I downloaded from the microsoft site.

Yep, that works on the PS3 as well. Share your library on WMP and enable media server. Look for the media server on the PS3 and you'll be able to stream whatever you have on the library. But, the smart way is to get it to stream off a Network media server hdd... so you don't really need the pc to be powered up & WMP working in the background.

The most easiest way has to be upgrading the PS3 hdd. Swap the 60gb for a 250gb and you're on the home run!

If you get time to experiment this close to Christmas your lucky, but please update me what worked and what didn't.

Diablo13 - My apologies for the delay in giving you the update.

Issue : MP3s on external HDD not being read on the PS3
Resolution : Select the drive/memory card with the mp3s, Press "triangle" for options, Choose "Display All" and voila .. the folders with the MP3s are suddenly visible. Go into the folders & play any song you like.

Didn't really get more time to do anything else as I fell sick and was 'horizontal' for about a whole week... Christmas was spent in bed... but got better just in time for the new year eve!

Hunter
15-01-2008, 03:56 PM
i,d be happy to clean this thread up and get us back on track if nobody has any objections lol

unless we think its covered
:seasaw:

pande_monium
15-01-2008, 04:27 PM
i,d be happy to clean this thread up and get us back on track if nobody has any objections lol

unless we think its covered
:seasaw:

I think that'd be best Hunter... please... I've made a few silly remarks that I'd best not see again.

And oh... close the thread too maybe?

Thanks once again.