PDA

View Full Version : best wireless router?

thesparky
25-02-2007, 12:25 AM
i have a Belkin N1 wireless router the range is suppost to be 300 meters but its more like 100 meters
i then got a belkin N1 wireless express card from america for my laptop but this only works in the same room or the next room but not even down stairs, its so far cost me about 300 quid to set up a wireless network and its poor
ive been looking at a netgear or a linksys router but dont really want to start paying out again if its just going to be the same, are there any boosters or aerials you can connect ?

ticticboom
25-02-2007, 06:49 PM
am using a netgear one very good xbox 360 and lappy all connect no probs .

y2krog2000
25-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Is it an N1 wireless card you are using with the router because if its not a matching set you wont get that sort of range. You will need an N1 router and an N1 wireless card to get 300 meters but I think you would need to be out in open space to get that sort of range anyways.

agsol
27-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I am using a netgeat adsl wireless modem router and never had any problems. Works with all my wireless dongles, branded and unbranded ones and work very well with my homeplug wirelss over mains adapters.

Regards

thesparky
27-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Is it an N1 wireless card you are using with the router because if its not a matching set you wont get that sort of range. You will need an N1 router and an N1 wireless card to get 300 meters but I think you would need to be out in open space to get that sort of range anyways.
my N1 router gives about 100 meters (it next to a window facing the pub direct line of sight to the pub's beer garden) here its fine but inside the pub you can just catch the signal then it goes
i have since bought a N1 wireless card for my lappy thinking it would pick up the signal better but this card only works indoors and on the same floor any further away and it stops
on other routers can you please state how far your signal works and through what
ie my belkin N1 router throught a solid concrete floor works at 18Mbps being down stairs and outside 100 meters i get 12 Mbps then at 150 meters i get 5.5Mbps
im just trying to work out how different routers under different conditions perform
thanks all

y2krog2000
27-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I have this one and the range is 1000ft it says there but on the box it says up to 400 meters http://world-of-digital.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=76076 I can pick up connections from over 100 meters away down the street but the router they have can send the signal back far enough for me to get an internet connection.

bigjazza
27-02-2007, 05:24 PM
I use a netgear..... no probs throughout the house, I believe Linksys firmware can be flashed to improve range

y2krog2000
27-02-2007, 05:33 PM
The router and card he has are the 2 best ones you can get for long range they have been fully tested and reviewed against all the other routers and cards on cnet.com and all the belkin pre-n and n stuff came out tops.

krazylegz
28-02-2007, 10:45 PM
i have a linksys wrt54gs and very happy with it using it with the built in wireless on lappy

DanMB
01-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Linksys WRT54GS my neighbour has it too before i got my net i sneaked on theres for months, until they secured it lol. So the range is excellent.

garlad
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
I use a linksys wrtg54 I think. Brilliant

mehtarah
01-03-2007, 04:37 PM
I have a Linksys WAG200G - works really well - I go to the back of my garden and signal strenth is still good.

kryten77
02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I blew up a Netgear MiMo router recently and for a quick fix got hold of a Buffalo Airstation Wireless router ( WHR-G54S ) .
I am amazed at the range of this for the price. I can access my internet/home network from anywhere in the home, from the bottom of my garden, even from my neighbours house too.
I also have the good luck to have three kind neighbours who have wireless networks (unsecured) . I have never had as many choices of internet connection :) :) :)
Also have had a Linksys router in the past....hated it. You couldnt get a signal through two sheets of toilet paper let alone a stone wall.

saks23
04-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I use a netgear adsl2 rangemax router. It has been there tucked away on top of a shelf since the last six months and has been working without any hitch. I tried working on the internet in my garden (10 mtrs + external brick wall) with my HP laptop and it still works !
It has even got these fancy blue led dome lights which you can program !

Dunc
29-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Just got a bt 2110 wireless router and loving it, it was so simple to set up snd works well.
My son is using for his PSP and wii 2.
After loads of problems with netgear set up and software this was so good to set up.
Recommended defo

:thumbup2:

popol
08-04-2007, 05:48 PM
I have 2 computers running on Netgear with no connection problems.

Wizball
16-04-2007, 09:30 PM
ive had a few wireless routers over the years as i worked in PC World and was able to try them and if i didnt like it bring it back ;) im happy with the Linksys WRT54GS which danMB said. only thing missing on it is reboot option or a timer for a reboot which is handy. theres a few 3rd party firmwares for the linksys models, not sure if this applies to other routers too, the 3rd party firmwares give u a load more features but will void your warranty.

master
23-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I have a Belkin wireless pre n router. It was a little tricky setting it up, but once set up my laptop worked satisfactorily all over the house. I have had it about 2 years now.

Timmaa
24-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I used a D-Link DSL604T modem/router when I was on DSL (there is a cable equivalent).

Now I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 using cable.

The D-Link required a firmware upgrade to maintain a connection when dual-booting into a Linux partition. The admin pages are pretty straightforward and performance was generally good.

The Buffalo has a one touch set-up when coupled with a Buffalo wireless card. Even if you don't have a compatible card setup is a breeze. If you're technically capable then I would recommend this one. The admin pages aren't as fancy but everything is there. Performance is better than the D-Link too.

dixi786
24-05-2007, 06:29 PM
i'll go for netgear mimo good booste on signal

mattrider
24-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Got to be Linksys WRT54G. As with third party firmware you have a lot more functionality with it. Such as increasing the transmission and linking it to another wireless access point.

dixi786
24-05-2007, 10:51 PM
that is a good one too i always find belkin or netgear easy to set up

a_n_h_24
25-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm also using the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 on Virgin media - bought from ebuyer using google checkout. Seems to work fine all over the house and was very easy to set up. The reviews have also been good on this one...

Looks good too...

shaan
30-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi m8 i hav got sitecom wirless access point which i am using with ntl broadband and i never had problem with it so for it looks like that its the best one.

bonnylad
13-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Dlink d-624 good security and wireless range is also good

y2krog2000
09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Some of the 400mw routers/wireless cards are supposed to be the best but any that you can buy in the uk have been changed for some reason so they arent 400mw but you can change the firmware back to 400mw, I havent read anything that will tell you the range you would get though.

Magnu420
18-07-2007, 12:31 AM
not had any issues with a belkin wireless router for cable,very easy to set up,got the options to reboot from accesing it of web connection,firewalls are there,virtual servers etc
recomended i would say

southpaw83
09-09-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm also using the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 on Virgin media - bought from ebuyer using google checkout. Seems to work fine all over the house and was very easy to set up. The reviews have also been good on this one...
Looks good too...

Definitely

Buffalo is by far the best

The AOSS function make set up really easy

jimmyjj
09-09-2007, 08:51 PM
i am using linksys wrt54gs
with thirdparty software
np with it

jimmy

Marbles
10-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Dlink d-624 good security and wireless range is also good
I cant vouch for ther router manufacturers but Dlink service support sux big time. Any problems and youre on your own.

cozmo
09-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Linksys All the way very easy to setup and use very good customer support and give great reliability 100% recommended i have sold loads of router from when i owned a computer shop and found linksys the best by far

cozmo

hacktheworld
18-10-2007, 12:35 AM
yeah netgear routers are probably the best of routers but d link and belkin and good but ive herd that the d link are a bit of a pain to set up

Hitman
13-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Im Gonna wash my hands now with netgear routers.
My old one started dropping my internet connection so i got a new one.
Bought the dg834pn mimo and all was fine for about a 3 month...then that too started dropping connection.
I upgraded the firmware and that sorted the problem for about a year.
The it starts dropping again.
upgraded to a newer firmware but it has done nothing.
have been on to my isp who have tested the line and insist its my modem/router which would make sense to me.
Now im just suffering the frequent line drops until i decide what to try next.
Think i might go for the linksys WRT54GS as it has been recommended to me here and else-where.
This router is made by cisco systems who are apparently leaders in this field and the cost of this is very reasonable from ebay.

y2krog2000
13-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Think i might go for the linksys WRT54GS as it has been recommended to me here and else-where.
This router is made by cisco systems who are apparently leaders in this field and the cost of this is very reasonable from ebay.

Yea think they are one of the best if not the best makes, the belkin ones are supposed to be ok to and it says on pcworlds website beside the belkin routers that there is a lifetime warranty in case your new one stops working to.

nathughes
17-11-2007, 04:15 AM
another option to consider is a wireless repeater to extend the signal in to the poor reception area. you can setup another router to act as the wireless repeater aswell.

robt562003
20-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Well I have two at home , one on my cable , and one on a Bt line for work. They are the belkin f5d7230 and a Dymamode c4w-eg the Dynamode one if far better , further range and more features (and it was a cheapy from dabbs).

pande_monium
22-11-2007, 02:49 PM
another option to consider is a wireless repeater to extend the signal in to the poor reception area. you can setup another router to act as the wireless repeater aswell.

Do you mean like an Access Point ?

I'm getting my "Apple Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet" delivered tomorrow and will be replacing my current 3 yr old Belkin 54g router... basically because the apple's got tonnes more features... and matches all my products ;p.
- Printer sharing port (USB)
- USB Drives can be added to the station to make them network drives
- 802.11n
- The usual 128 bit wep/wpa/mac add filtering/etc
- Welcome message on connection (:p... a nice extra)

I'm thinking of using the Belkin as an access point upstairs... just to bolster the signal. Haven't set it up yet... but will let you folks know how I get on with it. Anyone done this yet? If yes, any pitfalls I need to be aware of ?

master
01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I have had a few wireless routers over the years but the best one by far has been the belkin pre n. I can take my laptop all over the house without any loss of signal. Recomend it.

cmia-developments
01-05-2008, 10:58 PM
netgear or the new linksys!

maskini
05-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Experience of installing several different makes tells me to install Netgear. Worst experience has been with Belkin, Buffalo range and speed is good but have experienced dropouts. Linksys is OK but can be a problem when setting up with wireless DSL router with cable modems.