PDA

View Full Version : Hanging radiator on stud wall

gaz
24-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi
As the title suggests I need to hang a new radiator on a stud wall but the brackets dont meet a stud support behind the wallpaper (recently decorated). So anybody know how to hang it up, if I just use plasterboard wallplugs and screw brackets on and hang radiator. Will that be okay or is there another way of hanging radiator on stud wall.

Thanks

Hitman
24-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Not a good idea to hang a rad on plaster boards.
It might hold if the pipe running to it are secure and its in an area where it is unlikely to get touhed much.

Either you need to put the studs in or use a bigger rad that will reach the studs.
If you could get the stud on one side only(top and bottom of bracket) with plugs through the plaster board on the other, that would be sufficiant.

Good luck!

gaz
24-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Will see if I can locate the studs and somehow screw into the stud. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

thesparky
24-02-2007, 11:45 PM
you could use heavy duty spring toggles
h**p://To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. or buy a floor standing radiator so the weight is on the floor and not the brackets

thesparky
24-02-2007, 11:54 PM
just found this m8
B&Q Online (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. c%7b8530238%7d&fh_search=floor+standing+radiator&fh_refview=search&ts=1172357658407)

garlad
01-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Hung a few directly onto plasterboard using heavy duty rawls. If you get get one bracket into a stud, should be ok.

mburns
09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi mate!

Dunno if you have got this on the wall yet, Get toggle fixings/umbrella fixings

Will hold no probs. Just dont go pulling at it.

Would be better to find a stud.

To find a stud go to your nearest door and measure 400mm & 600mm from the edge of the facing, this should be the centre of the stud.

If there is no doors, just come from the corner, this time add an extra 18mm to your measurements.

****Please note 400mm & 600mm is the usuall centres for stud partitions/walling.*****

Mick

daddymayhem
11-03-2007, 07:42 PM
cut patch out of wall.put pad betweenstuds,replace plasterboard and fill.might sem extreme but you get peace of mind

gaz
24-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi

Thanks everybody for the advice, sorted it. Used heavy duty rawlplugs and to give myself extra piece of mind stuck the brackets with no nails all under and around the bracket and its seems very secure.

Thanks