PDA

View Full Version : Is it still possible to buy...

evilclive
23-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Is it still possible to buy second-hand Top-Up TV conditional access modules, for existing slot-enabled OnDigital or Freeview boxes?
I'm not trying to diddle TUTV out of their tenner-a-month pay-as-you-go subscription; I just don't want to be stuck with a minimum twelve-month contract or an overpriced digital video recorder.

Steve_M
25-02-2007, 10:35 AM
As far as I know you can use an Aston Cam with a valid Top-up TV card to get the extra channels. I see a few people advertising them on Ebay as working with Top-up TV. I suggest you have a look around on some of the satellite/freeview forums and check first. I think I have one around somewhere but didn't use it for Freeview though. If you are interested then pm me.

evilclive
28-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Setanta have just updated their web site to list all the options available for their Freeview service
(basically any combination of:

[1] buy a freeview box with CI slot for UKP39.99
[2] buy a CAM with CI slot for UKP29.99
[3] subscribe to their service for UKP10.99/month + UKP10.00 setup fee.)

The CAM devices (that provide the option of plugging a CI card into an integrated Freeview TV) on ebay are all more expensive than this.

In any case, I've just been reminded that my aerial only picks up five of the six Freeview muxes: the channels that I'm missing are FilmFour (but I can watch FilmFour+1 instead) and about half of the TopUpTV channels.

This means that paying for half of TopUpTV is not such an attractive proposition, so I think I'll leave it, thanks.