PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista - Upgrading from 32 to 64-bit

phasee
23-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi, just got windows vista business 32-bit installed on my pc. I got it through the MSDN Academic Alliance.

Now, I have a 64-bit processor so obviously I want to use the 64-bit version of vista. To get this I need to order a replacement copy from windows at this address:

Windows Vista Alternate Media (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. When I complete this it says there was an error "No Offer Found"

I've tried phoning microsoft but as usual they are hopeless and I can't see any other way to get the 64-bit version.

Help is appreciated, thanks.

dil
23-02-2007, 11:04 PM
The best advice is download it from a torrent site and try it before you decide to buy it
I've personaly have had many incompatibility issues,
Currently i've got vista 64bit ultimate installed

The following are NOT compatible/recognised by vista x64:-

1) epson scanner
2) epson printer
3) Microsoft keyboard (with finger print reader)
4) external usb hard drives
(I havent tried the 32 bit yet)

I recomend you NOT to delete the 32bit version instead make a dual boot with vista x64

phasee
26-02-2007, 01:00 PM
I didnt buy it. Windows vista business is a freebie through msdn with a working serial number included.

It's just trying to get the 64-bit version it says "no offer found" on the form. It's a weird one.

Speedy2206
26-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Because you obtained the 32-bit version through MSDNAA you are probably not entitled to "alternative media" as it is not a 'retail' copy. I've looked on my MSNDAA account and all it has listed is: Vista Business CD1, Vista Business CD2, Vista Business CD3, Vista Business CD4 or Vista Business DVD. If you use the CD version then it prompts you to insert CD5? :S very confusing lol.

I think you will just have to wait until the 64-bit version is put onto your MSNDAA. I have no idea when, or if that will be, but you could try asking your programme manager or course leader to see if he has any info. Rumour has it that Vista Ultimate will be available through MSNDAA very soon! :)

dil
27-02-2007, 11:13 PM
How did you guys manage to get free copies, is it available for anyone

Speedy2206
02-03-2007, 11:45 PM
How did you guys manage to get free copies, is it available for anyone

As far as I know, the 'academic versions' are free to download to any individual that is part of a university - doesnt matter if you are studying or just a member of staff, its still free. Its called the 'MSDNAA programme' :)