PDA

View Full Version : Using 2 modem question??

tuffpro
20-02-2007, 08:05 PM
I want to run 2 modems on my home network.
I want one of the modems to work on my desktop only so that it can be used specifically for downloading from a news server at 10 Meg
The other modem is to be used as part of my home network, so that I can access files on my desktop from my laptop & general internet usage for the laptop only.
My problem is that I can’t get the desktop to use the 10meg modem specifically for downloading.
The desktop is connected directly to the 10meg modem via Ethernet or the USB connection. But because I need to access the desktops files via my home network I also have a wireless USB adaptor plugged into the desktop.
So what happens is when I turn on the desktop it always uses the home network modem as the default? So any down loading I start goes through this modem rather than the 10 Meg modem.
I do not want to use the 10 Meg modem for the home network.
Home network modem for legal activities surfing, email, home networking etc (from Laptop Only)
10 Meg for downloading DVDs MP3s, Bit torrent, news server etc (from Desktop Only)
HOW DO I GET THE DESKTOP TO NOT TO USE THE HOME NETWORK MODEM FOR DOWNLOADING?
I know I can sit at the desktop & disable the home network modem or turn it of, and then start my downloading software which will see the 10meg modem (as it’s the only one available).
Whats the way to do this automatically?

Windows XP pro
McAffe security centre
Belkin wireless router
Downloading from Newsbin Pro
:imnew:

WeeFatBob
20-05-2007, 05:30 PM
hey,

Just a thought but does your home network router have an option to restrict internet access to a certain mac/IP address. if it does you could setup a new protocol that restricts the mac/ip address given to the desktop machine this should force windows to use the 10meg line to gain access to the net but still leaving the rest of the internal network open for use.

just a thought miby worth a look.

snook123
21-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi had the same problem as you I managed to do it by using 2 gateway routers with different gateway ips i.e. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1. 1 for network with modem other with just modem use 2 Ethernet cards in desktop. then all you do is tell xp to use the gateway with the modem as your default gateway to check what your default gateway is at the command prompt type route print that displays the routing table for your pc. now it was a real pain to change default gateway I stumbled through. I disconnected the network router disabled the card. then manually input the ip address and subnet and gateway as the gateway for the router with the modem attached when I got the internet working I rebooted the pc did the route print and it had changed my default gateway I then enabled the other card and manually input the ip address but left the gateway empty plugged the network cable in a hay presto internet used the correct modem and I could access the network. good luck i spent ages reading about network routing a bit over my head but got there in the end check out the help files in xp and internet loads of help.