PDA

View Full Version : ethernet not connected

dgn
11-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi Guys
I am trying to connect my second PC to the internet via a router with wires I(ethernet) however the computer is not recongnizing the connection. I looked on the system devices and could not find the ethernet connection.
The computer is a Dell otpiplex E1
If anyone can help this would be great.
Thanks in advance

dx100-uk
11-02-2007, 11:36 PM
see if it is device manager
right click my computer/manage/device manager

check it is enabled in bios?

or control panel/network connection
what does that say?
if it says disabled, then right click enable

set to auto ip and you should be away happy

dx100uk:rose:

nunny
12-02-2007, 06:47 AM
you can try in your bios to see if its enable

check your drivers and the cable

y2krog2000
12-02-2007, 08:52 AM
You might need to restart your router and your modem after you connect them to get it working.

time2rest
12-02-2007, 06:19 PM
do you have cable modem or adsl?
List your hardware information: modem, router model and i will write you a step by step guide.

dgn
14-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys, tried turning the computer and modem off and re-boting but no luck!!
I had a look in the device manager and no ethernet connection is listed, the computer is a dell Optiplex E1, went on to the dell wedsite to see if I could find anydownloads there but could not find a thing.
The router is a Edimax (wired router, I an connecting thrioug a NTL cable modem via the ethernet ports.
Thanks Dips

time2rest
15-02-2007, 04:56 AM
OptiPlex E1 system has an onboard integrated 10/100-Mbps 3Com PCI 3C905B-TX Ethernet Network Interface Controller (NIC).
If it is not listed in device manager:
1- it may be disabled in bios.
To enter the System Setup program, follow these steps:
* Turn on the system
* Press F2 when the prompt appears in th uppper right corner of Dell logo.
If you wait too long and the operating system begins to load into memory, let the system complete the load operation; then shut down the system and try again.
In setup screen highlight Integrated Devices and press enter and set onboard Ethernet NIC from OFF to ON.
Make sure you save the change you have made to bios.
2- It may be faulty.
set it off in bios and buy one NIC for 3 or 4 pounds.

y2krog2000
15-02-2007, 08:44 AM
If there is a question mark in device manager it might not be installed here are the drivers for all the network and internet stuff for your computer Dell - Search - All Dell.com (http://search.euro.dell.com/results.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&cat=sup&cs=&k=Optiplex+E1&qmp=12&p=1&subcat=dyd/1005&sort=K&snpsd=A&nf=&dt=&navla=&fm=&ss=&ira=False&cp1=-1&cp2=-1&si=&spf=&ssysid=&ssysn=&stag=&~srd=f&~ck=anav) You will just need to install one of the network card ones.

crm
19-02-2007, 01:42 AM
try the cable by pluggeing the router into itself eg ports 3 & 4 on the router it should then flash if cable good or even try it between modem and router and see if that picks up a flashing pc light on the modem

dgn
20-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all your help, have managed to connect the router. The problem was that the BIOS had the ethernet port disabled.
Once agina thank you all.
Dips