PDA

View Full Version : Combi/Condensing Boiler

jahhus
11-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi Peeps

My back boiler is on its way out. (Not literally)

Was wondering if any one could recommend a make and model.

If you could say why, would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks.

snakehips
13-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Morning Mate...
Im in the same situation as yourself...
From what ive been told (and researched!) by law now you need to have a condensing boiler which is the most efficient type of boiler available, saving some 30% over some older boilers.
Dependent on the amount of radiators you have to provide heat for is usually the benchmark for ascertaining the correct size of boiler you need.
I have 6 rads + 1no towel radiator, so have been advised to use a Bosch - Worcester Greenstar Condensing Boiler Junior Model. These things appear to vary in litre capacity dependent on whether you have two bathrooms etc radiator numbers...
I was amazed how much more smaller and compact these were... than the hulking great tank ive got presently lol
Anyway take a look at this site... Search Results , Wholesale Heating (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Hope this helps...!
Incidentally, weve been quoted ?1840...so there's a rough price for you!

merlinp
13-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I would keep away from the Potterton Streamline boiler. Saw peeps having nightmares about it on Watchdog last week.

jahhus
16-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Morning Mate...
From what ive been told (and researched!) by law now you need to have a condensing boiler which is the most efficient type of boiler available, saving some 30%u0025 over some older boilers.
Dependent on the amount of radiators you have to provide heat for is usually the benchmark for ascertaining the correct size of boiler you need.
I have 6 rads + 1no towel radiator, so have been advised to use a Bosch - Worcester Greenstar Condensing Boiler Junior Model. These things appear to vary in litre capacity dependent on whether you have two bathrooms etc radiator numbers...
I was amazed how much more smaller and compact these were... than the hulking great tank ive got presently lol
Anyway take a look at this site... Search Results , Wholesale Heating (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Hope this helps...!
Incidentally, weve been quoted %u00A31840...so there's a rough price for you!

Thanks for all that infor, thought it would eb about 2000, Just matter of choosing a boiler now, worcheter look promising, probably a CDI model.

Thanks for the link to that website.

so what is the major difference you noticed in changing the system, positive and negative, just wondering what i got to look forward to and what would be the bad points.

Did you have separate thermo valves put on each radiator?

swanside
12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Morning Mate...
From what ive been told (and researched!) by law now you need to have a condensing boiler which is the most efficient type of boiler available, saving some 30% over some older boilers.
Incidentally, weve been quoted ?1840...so there's a rough price for you!

I'll fit it for you at that price mate!!!

Its not law to fit a condensing boiler. You can replace a back boiler. There is a points scheme which you have to add up, factors like extended flues, fitting in kitchens, if they go above the threshold, you can fit a new back boiler.
Also, the savings are crap. A condensing boiler will only save money in condensing mode. They only condense up to 55 - 60 degsC. If you are running radiators then the boiler temp will be up in the 80's, soit will only condense for a few mins everytime it starts up, unless you go for weather compensation and as it gets warmer outside, the boiler flow will get less.

Exceptions

From 1st April 2005 it is a requirement of the Building Regulations Part L1 (Conservation of Fuel and Power) that any replacement or new gas fired boiler be of the condensing type.

There are certain exceptional circumstances where a standard efficiency boiler may be installed and these are determined by an Assessment procedure.

The assessment is an evaluation of the property to find a position where a condensing boiler can be installed at lowest cost, ignoring obstacles such as furniture or fitments and disregarding whether or not the position is acceptable to the owner.

If a customer does not want a condensing boiler or it is too difficult and expensive to install one, the engineer will fill in an Assessment Form which is based on points system.

The points system has been developed so that a simple 'yes' or 'no' decision can be made as to whether or not a condensing boiler must be installed.
This Assessment will take into account:

• The property type (flat, semi-detached, detached etc)
• The fuel type
• If the boiler needs to be moved to another position.
• If the flue needs to be extended
• The need for a condensate soakaway or pump.

All feasible condensing boiler positions anywhere within the property and flue options, irrespective of whether they are acceptable to the owner will be taken into account including cost and feasibility. Should the points be lower than 1000 a high efficiency condensing boiler must be installed. If the points for the installation are higher than 1000, a standard efficiency boiler can be installed. An Assessment Form, signed by a competent person, must be kept as evidence of compliance with the Building Regulations and may be required when the house is sold.

Comprehensive copy of 'The Domestic Heating & Hot Water Guide to the Building Regulations 2001 - Part L1 can be read or downloaded from:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Source
Building Regulations - Central Heating Services (http://www.centralheatingleeds.co.uk/building.htm)