PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Launch The iPhone Killer

y2krog2000
09-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Samsung launches its version of the "iPhone Killer"

Michael McManus, DigiTimes.com, Taipei [Friday 9 February 2007]

Although the Apple iPhone has not even hit the market, it has already become an industry measuring stick for any new multimedia handset being launched, with the latest comparison coming through the introduction of Samsung's Ultra Smart F700 on February 8th.

Like the Apple iPhone, the F700 features a full touch screen. However, although Samsung noted that the device reflects the recent trend in the telecommunications industry by using a touch screen user interface, the F700 will still include a QWERTY key pad (unlike the iPhone) for users who are not yet familiar with a touch-screen-only user interface. The F700 also features VibeTonz technology which allows users to feel the buttons accompanied by responsive vibrations.

A "Drag and drop" method of touch screen was adopted for easier menu navigation, Samsung indicated, and the device includes a music play list control. Volume, play lists, brightness of screens as well as other menu controls can be controlled utilizing the touch screen.

Samsung has also touted the 3G capabilities of the Ultra Smart F700, with 3G not initially scheduled to be supported by the iPhone. Although a High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) network is not yet fully deployed, the handset supports the standard. Samsung pointed out that once the 7.2 Mbps HSDPA network is completely deployed, F700 users can download an 4MB MP3 song in 4.4 seconds.

Samsung added that a full HTML browser along with the QWERTY key pad enables access to the Internet for e-mail and data services. The device also features a 2.78-inch TFT LCD color display, a 5 mega-pixel camera with auto focus and Bluetooth support.

The company did not say when the handset will hit the market and at what price.

Samsung Ultra Smart F700
Photo: Company

Samsung F700 handset

Feature
Specification

Handset
HSDPA 7.2Mbps, EDGE

900/1800/1900 MHz + 2.1GHz

Camera
5 Megapixel with Auto-Focus

Display
262744 TFT (2.78-inch, 440x240)

Added features
Full Touch Screen

MPEG4/H.263/H.264/Real MP3/AAC(+)/eAAC+/Real

QWERTY Keypad

MMS / E-mail / JAVA / WAP 2.0

Bluetooth / USB

Flash UI / Document Viewer

Full HTML Browsing

Offline Mode, BGM

Memory
microSD

Size
104?50?16.4mm

Neeiro
12-02-2007, 04:40 AM
It does look a good phone - just wonder why they haven't added Wifi to it.

scottnewlove
27-02-2007, 05:02 PM
it really does seem like a great phone i just bought a 8800 2nd edition but ill sell it and get one of these babeies

evilclive
06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Samsung launches its version of the "iPhone Killer"

Oh, that's a pity. On reading the subject line, I thought Samsung had brought out a device whereby, if some twonk is sat next to you on a train, bellowing into his iPhone, you could surreptitiously press a button and fry his phone electronics.

TheThingIs
08-03-2007, 11:54 AM
but don't you think the iphone will just be the "in" thing to have, just as the ipod is the same? I mean there are better mp3 players but ppl don't care, they want the ipod cos their m8's think all others are ****. I think the iphone will be the same.

IrishGiant
16-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm buying one next week :)

notanotherone
30-08-2007, 09:46 AM
because this doesnt have bluetooth and has a QWERTY Keypad
gonna wait for the apple iphone which has bluetooth and no pad

grexeo
29-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I can't believe this hasn't got Wifi!

90% of people who want this sort of phone will want Wifi...

bullo2007
18-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah i agree it needs wifi but i like the look, not typical of samsung

rky
22-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I agree A nice bit of kit!

Re the wifi, it is disappointing but they may release that in another phone or as an update just to get ppl to buy the latest one.

humforce
01-05-2008, 11:06 AM
all these fones with this that bit too much for my old eyes think ill stick to my brick fone