PDA

View Full Version : Need to get video off unfinalized disc :(

Collider
08-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi all.
Got a friend that went to germany and used hes sony dvd camcorder to take some video,all the discs are fine apart from 1 which says it needs to be finalized but then says it will wipe all the data from the disc.

Is there any way of getting the video off the disc?,tried putting it in laptop but it says the disc is empty and he doesnt want to finalize it as there good memories as he puts it from hes hols.

Any ideas? ;)

y2krog2000
08-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Has he tried to copy the disc on a computer without finalising it then try that disc in the recorder to see if the data is still on it if it is finalise the copy. Finalising the disc dosent normally delete stuff from the disc it normally makes it so it will work in other machines.

Collider
08-02-2007, 11:33 PM
tried putting it in laptop but it says the disc is empty

tried mate with no success,he really dont wanna lose the video files but the cam says will erase data

kryten77
08-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Can he view the disk in the camcorder, if he can just connect it to a PC and capture the resulting video stream.

y2krog2000
09-02-2007, 07:00 AM
It would only possibly work on the computer if the dvd drive was the same inside as the one in the camcorder. If you have a dvd recorder at hand then plug the camcorder into the tv or dvd recorder and copy I think he might have got formating and finalizing mixed up because I have never known finalizing a disc to destroy anything thats on it.

dx100-uk
09-02-2007, 01:06 PM
i'd go with that too!

if the disc is burnt, it should have a darker section on it.
i'd check it has got info on [which it must have if the filming is viewable on the camera viewscreen].

pop it in a M/C with DVD shrink 3.2 loaded & try and open the disc.
if it works. then follow the backup process tha copies the files to the HDD.

from the HDD folder,
see if you have any known standard file extensions, & maybe try and play the videos file [the largest one] you might find VLC player useful here.

if that works use vcdgear to turn the files into .MPG movies. bingo done.

if you look on Vcdhelper [i think] website or a search engine there are several guides on this exact problem, AS LONG as there is info on the disc.

dx100uk;;)

snake
22-02-2007, 12:26 AM
not sure if it will work, but could try ultraiso