PDA

View Full Version : Socket Cutters

snakehips
08-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Has anyone got any experience of using square socket cutters?
Ive just moved house and have lots of recessed sockets to cut - on average, to do it with a bolster and lump hammer its taking about 30mins a double socket - So i was considering buying one to speed up my work and so i dont destroy half the wall whilst doing so.... but ive been told that they're not as good as the companies profess! Any feedback???

paulsolo1
10-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Has anyone got any experience of using square socket cutters?
Ive just moved house and have lots of recessed sockets to cut - on average, to do it with a bolster and lump hammer its taking about 30mins a double socket - So i was considering buying one to speed up my work and so i dont destroy half the wall whilst doing so.... but ive been told that they're not as good as the companies profess! Any feedback???
They are not bad, I use one and it works quite well for me. Firstly holecut and chisel out then use box cutter on SDS chisel, my results are pretty neat.

10-02-2007, 12:25 PM
more expecne though get a grinder mark the wall grind it then bolster and hammer and its easy but you will get a bit of dust saves money and its pretty quick just a thought

Bard
11-02-2007, 02:09 AM
more expecne though get a grinder mark the wall grind it then bolster and hammer and its easy but you will get a bit of dust saves money and its pretty quick just a thought

yeah gotta agree. Unless you are doing it day in day out its not worth the expense of a cutter.

How many sockets do you need to raggle?
It's 2 and a half days since you posted, so I guess at 30 mins a socket you'll be well finished by now, even with your hammer and bolster :)

thesparky
11-02-2007, 09:09 AM
i use a square cutter but only find it handy with new builds older houses have either very hard bricks and the cutter just jumps off them or very soft and the brick just crumbles not giving the desired results
i have found these cutters work best on breeze blocks or thermalite blocks only
hard walls i agree with a grinder (use all safety equipment needed but goggles are a must even when they get misted up DONT remove them just clean them and continue remember the house will be covered in dust for weeks after even after cleaning the dust particles still hang around)

for most walls i use a comb chisel these have a reversible/changeable toothed blade costing about ?7 then ?3 for 10 spare blades (20 edges)
use this with a good club/lump hammer
a little practice and you will be doing boxes in no time (its only taken me 22 years to perfect my technique lol)
good luck

RosIrl
14-02-2007, 03:50 PM
An easy way and fast way to cut recess holes is as follows. Get a drill bit and place some tape at the debth that you want the holes to go to. Mark the area on the wall you want to recess and drill numerous holes then chisle out. Lot faster and easier than loads of in air dust from grinder plus gets you easily to required debth.