PDA

View Full Version : Virgin to charge £85 a month for home media package

Shipoftheline
07-02-2007, 06:32 PM
The newly formed cable company Virgin Media is to launch a top end home media package aimed at households prepared to spend over ?1,000 a year on the right combination of products.
Tomorrow morning Richard Branson will finally reveal the home media package he hopes will grab consumers away from the clutches of Sky.

For a whopping ?85 a month consumers will get a state of the art digital TV service, home phone, and super-fast broadband connection.

Virgin Media is the newly formed company that came out of the merger of cable TV companies NTL and Telewest, and Virgin's own mobile phone division.

According to early pricing structure seen by Guardian Money, most of the "bundled packages" that combine a home phone, broadband and digital TV look remarkably similar to the old NTL offering.

However, the new company has come up with what it has called its Very Impressive Pack aimed at the highest spending households.

Consumers will get its new Vplus digital TV, offering 129 channels, a personal video recorder and high definition signal - including the popular Sky Sports and movie packages.

Users also get a second set-top box for another room, and a new video on demand service. On top, those signing up also get a 10Mb, unlimited broadband connection, plus a home landline with unlimited calls to other homes.

Virgin says the deal represents a saving of about ?37 a month against buying each component separately.

source (http://media.guardian.co.uk/newmedia/story/0,,2007858,00.html)

countryboy
08-02-2007, 02:31 AM
oh i cant wait to give them all this money .. where do i sign up

DanMB
08-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Its not actually that expensive if you think about it. I would consider it if the dreambox ever went down.

stualdo
08-02-2007, 01:24 PM
no wonder he is a billionaire

Bard
11-02-2007, 02:56 AM
Just pay the man you bunch of reprobates lol

(said the man in a non-cable area ;))

if you look at the details of the deal its not half bad what they are offering.

having said all that...give me my eurosat and my 6000 channels anyday... ya mugs ;)

sexyposhgirl
12-02-2007, 06:58 PM
?85 a month

Robbing *******

kryten77
12-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah where do I sign up for this....oops forgot I cant write..lol Thank God for that.
I'll stick with my Dbox2 for the usual stuff and switch on the Dreambox 7020s for the other 8000+ channels that are available on that.
As for Movies on demand, I have a 1TB box connected to my home network with over 400 of the latest movies on it and over 5000 Albums. A one stop multimedia feast. So Mr Branson and the rest of the bigwigs at Virgin Media will have to work a good bit harder to entice me over to their overpriced service.

sexyposhgirl
12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Whats a 1TB box ?

arzoo
13-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Whats a 1TB box ?
I think its a 'glorified' hard disk drive with a 1000mb capacity, Very awsome but expensive.

alwynrm
13-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I dont know if anyone realises this (I didnt) but Virgin Mobile are doing a great deal for NTL customers, where you can buy a pay monthly simm for ?10 a month, includes 300 minutes, and 300 texts, with no contract!!!!

I was paying ?80 per month for two phones with orange, and now its ?20 a month, using the same phones and phone number!

Good deal, dont you think?

Alwyn

muta
23-02-2007, 11:32 PM
that is a p*** take.that is 75% of my council tax.who do i pay the council or mr virgin?

Diablo13
04-03-2007, 03:03 AM
I dont know if anyone realises this (I didnt) but Virgin Mobile are doing a great deal for NTL customers, where you can buy a pay monthly simm for ?10 a month, includes 300 minutes, and 300 texts, with no contract!!!!
I was paying ?80 per month for two phones with orange, and now its ?20 a month, using the same phones and phone number!
Good deal, dont you think?
Alwyn

LMAO, you must talk too much. I'm a bit old to be a Virgin now and at that price I would rather eat. Theres even less to offer as far as I can see, I get the films long before they do, they've lost Sky 1 and I already have a 10 meg broadband connection. What happened to the 16 meg they were promising? No matter what they chuck in theres still only so many hours in the day, so you would have to do a running commentary of the tv programs on the phone with your neighbours to get your moneys worth. :tv: :phone: :dinner:

Spinifex
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
am sorry but when theres 3 for ?30 around and maybe even cheaper then why bother going HD and 10 mb internet? you can split ya cable to other rooms for free if you get some bits off ebay! sorry but ?85 for that, nobodys gonna have it unless they are a billionaire lol.. what a load of old sh1t.

Spin.

Diablo13
05-03-2007, 01:23 AM
I completely agree spinfix. Except that although you can split the cable you have to watch the same program in both rooms. Their idea is that the wife can watch the football while you watch "How to pebbledash your bog" in the other. You would think that the idea of a twin tuner in their boxes would have occurred to them by now would'nt you, if they wanted to do the best for their customers. It would be cheaper then; Oh! I see, :troutslap:

tigersbay
05-03-2007, 05:23 PM
my kids arent vey happy cause they lost the simpsons on sky 1