PDA

View Full Version : one laptop

gonkeboy
07-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I only have one laptop which i would like to connect wireless to the internet. can I just do that and use the one or do I need one pc to be hard wired as well? my server is ntl so i would be using a dsl router

Hunter
07-02-2007, 10:01 AM
if your going throught a wireless router you dont need a pc, the laptop will be ok by itself ;)

gonkeboy
07-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks, i just wondered as the setup instructions for the wireless router tell you to hard wire it, no mention of if its ok to just have wireless conection. I will set it up wired then remove the network cable and run it wireless then, cheers

Hunter
07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks, i just wondered as the setup instructions for the wireless router tell you to hard wire it, no mention of if its ok to just have wireless conection. I will set it up wired then remove the network cable and run it wireless then, cheers
sometimes best to hardwire for setup of the router but once you can ping the router wirelessly then your as good as up and running ;)

dx100-uk
07-02-2007, 02:22 PM
and dont forget to change the default routers name & the admin logon name & password from admin/admin or root/root. else it could be hijacked

dx100uk
:high:

soabwahott
10-02-2007, 01:30 AM
also it is a good idea to set up encryption. wpa is best, but use wep if thats all you've got.
some routers also allow mac address filtering.
every network device has a unique mac address, by only allowing your own mac address access to the router you can decrease the chance that someone will hack into your wireless connection

digical
10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
a wireless card like asus will pick up any unsecured network in its proxiity!

Parva
14-02-2007, 12:55 AM
I only have one laptop which i would like to connect wireless to the internet. can I just do that and use the one or do I need one pc to be hard wired as well? my server is ntl so i would be using a dsl router
Errrm, why would you be using a DSL router on a cable line? Doesn't make sense m8. You need a cable router with wireless connectivity and yes, just the one laptop connected via wi-fi would be fine.